5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine light

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a check engine light. When I read it with my code reader it says N/A 01/02 and N/A 02/02. No problems at all runs fine.

Anyone ever seen this?

Thanks

keithc85

Reaction score
I’ve never seen it personally. But a quick search shows that your reader is not supported by the ecm and not reading properly, or you have 1(or2) code/s set and 1 (or 2)code/s pending. If the latter is the case, your reader should have an option to click to the next screen to see the actual codes.

MrMisk

Reaction score
Yep. Aftermarket or unauthorized code readers will not work.
basically the tool doesn’t have or bought permission from fca to access the security gateway module built into the vehicle

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. I went to oreilly auto and they were able to read it. It said lost communication with AGS. Turned out to be the AAD. Disconnected it and had them clear the CEL and it never came back.
Guess I’ll need a newer reader

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed. (y)

Hey all,

I have a check engine light. When I read it with my code reader it says N/A 01/02 and N/A 02/02. No problems at all runs fine.

Anyone ever seen this?

Thanks
Long Story Short
That monitor circuit watches a lot more than the engine. Just because the light comes on doesn't mean the problem is with something that will affect drivability. Since the issue was with the air dam you definitely wouldn't feel any change in the truck when you drive.

Long Story Long
With all the electronics coming out each year on new vehicles it's no longer called a CEL (Check Engine Light). Other manufacturers had other names (e.g. my Ford had the SES - Service Engine Soon - light) but they were all the same.

"Back in the day" that circuit just monitored the engine and when that came one something was wrong with the engine and you needed to fix it. Then came all the emissions junk which piled onto that monitor circuit which would come on if it was something that directly affected the system (and your smog check). There were other things monitored by the vehicle but would not be any drastic issue or cause you to fail a smog check so would set a code but not turn on the light (soft code).

Now that it monitors everything and lets you know when there is an issue with any of the 47 computers or 112,654 digital operations happening every 50 milliseconds that light is now called the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light). At least that's FCA's name for it.

If that light comes on it means that the truck has detected a discrepancy in the above mentioned 12 gajillion lines of code it is processing constantly every time you drive. It might be a temporary anomaly that will correct itself, it may be a disconnected plug on an ancillary piece of equipment (grill shutters, air dam, etc.), or it could be something more serious (misfire, transmission issue) that requires immediate attention.

Due to the expanded monitoring capabilities Big Brother (aka "The Man") can use it to track us, make sure we don't modify anything that would accelerate ozone depletion, or download the information to find a reason to deny a warranty claim. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread