5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine light on new vehicle

BizWiz

Reaction score
Before I could even pick up my truck from the dealership it lit up the check engine light. Dealership reported after a day of troubleshooting it needs to replace two parts. One of which I believe is a new fuel injection pump.

First time I've ever heard of a vehicle needing work on it like this before it even left the lot.

Anyone else come across this?

BizWiz

Reaction score
Got some additional details. They are replacing the injector pump and the fuel rail. Are either of these reason to be alarmed?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Got some additional details. They are replacing the injector pump and the fuel rail. Are either of these reason to be alarmed?
This is the 3rd truck I have heard of with this issue, the first brand new. Kudos to the dealer for catching it in PDI. I would still pick it up. Get them to cut you a great deal on a warranty maybe.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brand new and the CP4 failed? That's likely because some minimum wage detailer or employee put gasoline in it by mistake.

I wouldn't accept delivery unless they provided a free extended warranty.

BizWiz

Reaction score
When I called the dealer for an update the fuel system still had an issue..... Tables turned around 2:30 pm and it's now good to go and in detailing. I'm waiting to hear from RAM on what they are going to do to give me some assurance if I take delivery of the truck they are going to stand behind it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Details are important.

If a pump or other internal part shredded, your entire fuel system will need replacement, from fuel pump in tank all the way to injectors.

VWs had issues with this: US diesel fuel has less lubricity than European, and the high pressure fuel pumps would grenade. There was no way to clean out the fuel system of all the debris. Newer designs created for US fuels did not suffer this issue.

NOT saying that's what happened with your truck, but it's very odd to have to replace the rail and the HPFP on a new truck. The rail is just a tube, feeding the injectors. What could ever cause that to need to be replaced???

You have total leverage...before you sign the papers.

These trucks come with a 100,000/10 year powertrain (I think). Not too much more you could ask for on a warranty.

At a minimum, I'd want the repairs (and the cause) annotated in the truck's service history. If they haven't done that, have them work it up and enter it BEFORE you sign for it and accept it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like someone put gas instead of diesel in it.

BizWiz

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like someone put gas instead of diesel in it.
When I went to pick it up it still hadn't been fueled yet. They replaced the fuel line, fuel injector, and fuel rail. She purrs now. Still going back and forth with Stellantis over how they are going to ensure if I have any engine problems they take care of it. So far it's well documented on the vehicle history and they are extending the warranty. If everything goes forward with no issues I'll be happy.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I went to pick it up it still hadn't been fueled yet. They replaced the fuel line, fuel injector, and fuel rail. She purrs now. Still going back and forth with Stellantis over how they are going to ensure if I have any engine problems they take care of it. So far it's well documented on the vehicle history and they are extending the warranty. If everything goes forward with no issues I'll be happy.

My memory was off...I thought 10/100k warranty on these: nope, a 5 year/100,000 mile. See if you can get them to toss in another 5 years (same mileage).

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re in love with the truck and emotions during a purchase can lead to regret in the future. There are plenty of other Rams out there...can’t imagine why you would tie yourself to a potential headache rather than look for another Ram. There isn’t a warranty, promise or discount big enough for being left along the side of the road with a truck that needs a tow and days/weeks of troubleshooting.

Listen to your inner voice as I’m certain it is telling you to find another truck.

Every20years

Reaction score
You’re in love with the truck and emotions during a purchase can lead to regret in the future. There are plenty of other Rams out there...can’t imagine why you would tie yourself to a potential headache rather than look for another Ram. There isn’t a warranty, promise or discount big enough for being left along the side of the road with a truck that needs a tow and days/weeks of troubleshooting.

Listen to your inner voice as I’m certain it is telling you to find another truck.
That’s a pretty easy thing to do for the base models but when you custom order a vehicle it’s because you weren’t willing to give up something. It’s going to be a tough decision as well as being a demanding customer. Don’t envy this issue.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a pretty easy thing to do for the base models but when you custom order a vehicle it’s because you weren’t willing to give up something. It’s going to be a tough decision as well as being a demanding customer. Don’t envy this issue.
I understand where you’re coming from. I custom ordered a Longhorn a few years back. When I test drove it upon arrival, the 8.4 wasn’t working - they said they’d fix it before I took delivery. Two days later it was fixed and I was told to come get it. Then, as they were detailing it, I watched the detail guy back my special ordered Longhorn into a one ton Laramie. The bumper on what was to be my new special ordered Longhorn was crunched and it was pushed into the rear quarter sheet metal. I walked on the deal with a full refund of my deposit.

Vehicles are an unknown liability from the moment you purchase them...there is no reason in the world to accept a liability you knew about at the time of purchase.

Every20years

Reaction score
I understand where you’re coming from. I custom ordered a Longhorn a few years back. When I test drove it upon arrival, the 8.4 wasn’t working - they said they’d fix it before I took delivery. Two days later it was fixed and I was told to come get it. Then, as they were detailing it, I watched the detail guy back my special ordered Longhorn into a one ton Laramie. The bumper on what was to be my new special ordered Longhorn was crunched and it was pushed into the rear quarter sheet metal. I walked on the deal with a full refund of my deposit.

Vehicles are an unknown liability from the moment you purchase them...there is no reason in the world to accept a liability you knew about at the time of purchase.
Ouch. I might have told the dealer to reorder the same vehicle and provide me a like vehicle (you know like the loaded one the Sales Manager drives and then sells later in the year as new) until my new, not damaged truck shows up?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Different cause but same situation on my end. Went yesterday to look at trading my '20 HEMI for a '21 Ecodiesel. Turns out the truck died on the GM while driving (he was going to use it as a demo for awhile, but it had <100 miles before this happened). Got word this morning they hopefully found the cause and will have it fixed today - a failed EGR valve. Part of me is tempted to avoid this particular truck, but inventory is really slim and I already have a deal lined up. Hopefully it's a simple fix? This will be my first diesel, so not sure how serious of a problem this was.

Uga40

Reaction score
Wow, bad luck. I would probably try to get an extended Max care warranty thrown in for taking ownership. 8 yr term. If you have 20' hemi, no reason to feel like you have to take it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread