5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging issues using USB?

Barqs

Reaction score
Considering everyone has cell phones now, we have run into a small issue in my new Ram. When two or more phones are all plugged into the USB ports, one phone seems to be the odd man out and will not charge. Are the ports all tied to the same power source (like a USB hub) and a current limit is in play? That's the only thing I can think might be causing this issue. I could reduce the burden by putting my phone on the wireless charger, but then I lose CarPlay capability. I didn't want to have to use the USB adapters in my new truck, but that might be a requirement if I cannot figure out the USB port limitations.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my phone in the wireless port, while charging my Beats Headphones in one USB, and charging my wifes phone in the other USB which still allowed carplay...all at the same time.

grifodan67

Reaction score
Considering everyone has cell phones now, we have run into a small issue in my new Ram. When two or more phones are all plugged into the USB ports, one phone seems to be the odd man out and will not charge. Are the ports all tied to the same power source (like a USB hub) and a current limit is in play? That's the only thing I can think might be causing this issue. I could reduce the burden by putting my phone on the wireless charger, but then I lose CarPlay capability. I didn't want to have to use the USB adapters in my new truck, but that might be a requirement if I cannot figure out the USB port limitations.
Have you tried to have one phone in the USB C and the other in the USB A ports? I don't remember who, but someone mentioned this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H24PJGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it works great and there does not seem to be any conflict between the devices plugged in.

Attachments

• Anker USB C to Lightning Cable.jpg
    Anker USB C to Lightning Cable.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6

Barqs

Reaction score
Have you tried to have one phone in the USB C and the other in the USB A ports? I don't remember who, but someone mentioned this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H24PJGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it works great and there does not seem to be any conflict between the devices plugged in.

My wife just picked up a new phone with a USB-C plug, and everything appears to be charging fine now. It may have been her old phone, or a couple of old cables. Rather than spend time diagnosing it, we just upgraded her phone. I think it was the wise choice. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online