5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic windshield tint? (clear)

BNeal

Reaction score
Any feedback from those who have tried ceramic windshield coating? I live in TX and have been thinking about getting my windshield coated before the blast furnace firers up down here.

So, what's the good, bad and ugly regarding this product?

TIA!
-Brad
Edited title to say "Clear tint" in place of "No Tint"

Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it done and LOVE it! Can't believe I never did it before as I have always tinted the front and sides on my vehicles. I was worried that it might hamper night driving but that has not bee the case. I believe I have 50%...

KCViper

Reaction score
I live in Texas and can certainly understand where you are coming from! I'm not familiar with ceramic coating (not tint). Can you elaborate as I'd be interested?

BNeal

Reaction score
I live in Texas and can certainly understand where you are coming from! I'm not familiar with ceramic coating (not tint). Can you elaborate as I'd be interested?
So, I don't know a lot about it, but I want to protect the leather dash on my limited, while also reducing the amount of heat entering the cab. Here is a high-level overview from an installer: https://www.smartfilmaz.com/worth-clear-window-tint/

KCViper

Reaction score
Thanks.....that is window tint! I thought you were talking about something else based on the thread title. I am very familiar with putting 70% ceramic tint on the front windshield. It works very well and you won't know its there, except with polarized sunglasses or HUD perhaps.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do it. I’ve done my last 3 vehicles (70%) living in Florida there no shortage of sun. Keeps my vehicles quite a bit cooler I use to have to use one of those covercraft windshield shades to keep the heat out enough where I’m not instantly burned when I sit in it and haven’t used a cover since.

Only downside is if your windshield ever needs replacing then your out the tint but still worth the chance to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BNeal

Reaction score
Thanks.....that is window tint! I thought you were talking about something else based on the thread title. I am very familiar with putting 70% ceramic tint on the front windshield. It works very well and you won't know its there, except with polarized sunglasses or HUD perhaps.
Didn't realize it was 70% tint. The product is called Clear Window Tint. But nonetheless, if it doesn't darken the glass, it's a moot point. My only concern is the HUD. Will it mess with that?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
THIS ^^^ Ceramic window TINT is far different than a ceramic coating. Very misleading from the start and creates confusion in the responses.

ldoh

Reaction score
Ceramic tint definitely helps to reduce IR related interior heat, reduced damage to the interior and your skin. I did all windows minus windshield. The pano might be a must.

I was reluctant to spend money on the windshield related to slight vision changes with polarized sunglasses and frequently experiencing chipped windshields. Not sure if It's lighter weight glass and/or more road debris but it's a regular occurrence. No kidding, I got my first chip in the gen5 windshield on the maiden highway drive home from the out of state dealership.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did it on my windshield as well as all the other glass including the pano. I've had my truck since late July and in Texas, our hottest months are July and August, I had no issues with my AC keeping up and ever had the fan speed above 2 or 3.
Mine is the Wincos 70 on the windshield and the pano and Wincos 30 on all the rest. Made a big difference in the summer

Last edited:

BNeal

Reaction score
THIS ^^^ Ceramic window TINT is far different than a ceramic coating. Very misleading from the start and creates confusion in the responses.
Sorry if I created confusion. I changed to title to reflect Tint, rather than coating. Not familiar with the product or end results, thus the question... Just looking to cut down on Texas summer heat without a dark windshield or messing with my HUD.

Reverse

Reaction score
I have ceramic side window tint and it cuts down on cabin heat in the summer significantly. Didn't know it can be applied in clear to windshield.

BTW, not what you were asking about, but I actually considered getting ceramic _coat_ on the windshield, but that would have been for better water repellent properties. Since I can get the same effect from Rain-X windshield washer fluid, I skipped that.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ceramic tinted all around, including pano roof
70% on windshield, and you can’t tell it’s there

Such a huge difference inside. Can leave the pano roof shade open and you don’t feel the heat on your head!

KCViper

Reaction score
Same here
Not to get too far off topic, but I use Adams Polishes glass sealant and glass boost for maintenance...not very expensive and works great. Anything over 40 mph and you really don't need to use wipers unless its really coming down :)

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had ceramic clear tint installed on my last Ram and it was fine AFTER it dried out/cured. The view was distorted until it cured but after that it did well keeping the heat down inside the truck. I'm going to give it a shot this summer without it to see if there is a noticeable difference as it isn't cheap and I never felt the view was as clear as it was without the ceramic clear tint.

UNL67Volvo

Reaction score
Ceramic tinted all around, including pano roof
70% on windshield, and you can’t tell it’s there

Such a huge difference inside. Can leave the pano roof shade open and you don’t feel the heat on your head!
What % on sides and pano?

I'm planning on matching front doors to rear (sounds like it's 20%), doing the 70%(+) on the windshield and likely 20% on pano. All ceramic. I too have a Delmonico Red (coming). Can you share pics of your tint?! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Yangster

Reaction score
Does anyone have the ceramic tint and HUD? I read somewhere that the HUD visibility might be reduced...

Scmil

Reaction score
I have the Air80 on my BMW windshield and it is a little better as far as distortion compared to xpel xr 70 on my Ram. Although after curing and a good cleaning, it isn't really much difference and I don't notice any issues with my polarized glasse.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What % on sides and pano?

I'm planning on matching front doors to rear (sounds like it's 20%), doing the 70%(+) on the windshield and likely 20% on pano. All ceramic. I too have a Delmonico Red (coming). Can you share pics of your tint?! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I did 35% all around

355ac96eaf516247f71612b0e3497d27.jpg

e736e8a87e5360ec56d4c4cd629f49d1.jpg

Those are from day of install

Have not taken anything since. Overdue!

Users who are viewing this thread