5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Tint

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So today I dropped my truck off for window tint install. I didn't know there was many kinds of window tint. I bought ceramic tint and was told its the best there is. Can someone provide me some info and knowledge on ceramic tint vs other tints.

RT70808

Reaction score
So today I dropped my truck off for window tint install. I didn't know there was many kinds of window tint. I bought ceramic tint and was told its the best there is. Can someone provide me some info and knowledge on ceramic tint vs other tints.
Haven’t done mine yet on the new truck, but I went with it for heat reduction, lifetime warranty. It makes a noticeable difference imo.

RT70808

Reaction score
what percentage did you go with?
Just the Louisiana legal limits, 40 front, 25 rear, not a fan of the 12% rear. Layer it on top of the factory tint so technically it was a little to dark but I’ve never had any trouble.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with 20% in the front and back with there ceramic tint. The salesman stated the ceramic tint will cut down heat in the cabin ALOT. Ill have pictures tomorrow along with my weather tech matts

borant

Reaction score
I went with 20% in the front and back with there ceramic tint. The salesman stated the ceramic tint will cut down heat in the cabin ALOT. Ill have pictures tomorrow along with my weather tech matts

I have to wait 3 more days under July sun until my tint appointment. Will do Llumar Pinnacle all windows around and sunroof plus Llumar Air for windshield

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For people tinting the sunroof. I honestly never have the pano roof open because just too much light comes in. For those with the roof tinted, are you keeping it open more now, or just adding a level of heat reduction? I, like alacombe went with 20% to match.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And one last question for anyone with kids, are you tinting the rear windows? I've got a rear facing kiddo and the sun can get to him a lot more than when he was in my Grand Cherokee. I've got a window shade thing for the side window but just wondering if anyone has an approach for the rear. Cheers

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And one last question for anyone with kids, are you tinting the rear windows? I've got a rear facing kiddo and the sun can get to him a lot more than when he was in my Grand Cherokee. I've got a window shade thing for the side window but just wondering if anyone has an approach for the rear. Cheers
get ceramic tint stops alot of the UV rays and decreases heat more then regular tint

borant

Reaction score
I do ceramic tint for every window for heat reduction. Standard tinted glass on rear windows does not provide complete UV protection.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems to me, the rear windows on the Ram aren't tinted as dark as on my F150?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^^ I know it's easier to see occupants through the rear window of the Rams. So I agree. I always have the rear windows tinted anyway. Both Ram and Ford.

Put it this way, I might be getting my fronts redone and getting the rears done also. It never occurred to me that Ram would use a lighter tint from the factory. If it end up getting all 4 done, I'll go ceramic.

I typically don't, as just getting the front 2 done with ceramic won't make a big difference.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Check out the attachment to compare performance data between the different types of tint from a reputable manufacturer. What you're really looking for is the %TSER value. You'll notice that the ceramic tint outperforms dyed.

For people tinting the sunroof. I honestly never have the pano roof open because just too much light comes in. For those with the roof tinted, are you keeping it open more now, or just adding a level of heat reduction? I, like alacombe went with 20% to match.

I have Huper Optik 30% on the pano sunroof. I had hoped to put 15% but the shop does not stock that percentage and I didn't want to wait for them to order it. Huper is one of the better performing films, but I find that the Texas sun this time of year is still too hot for my bald head. So I keep the pano shade closed most of the time.

I've got a couple of young kids and they like the shade being opened. If we're riding somewhere during hours when the sun isn't directly overhead, I'll open it for them.

Additionally, I'm struggling with AC performance and keeping the shade closed helps the cabin be more bearable when its 109* out. I think once the weather turns cooler, I'll keep the shade open more.

I'm contemplating re-tinting the moonroof myself with some Huper 15% so the heat rejection will be better / let less light in as well.

I have 5% on the driver/passenger fronts, 15% on the rear passenger seats, and 5% on the back glass. All Llumar ceramic. My kids are 6 and 4 and are forward facing. I had 5% on their windows on my last vehicle and while I enjoyed the darkness in the back, its almost too dark for curious children who like to look outside as we're driving. The 15% over the factory ~20% or so matches the 5% up front very well from a exterior color standpoint and lets them be able to see more of what's passing by.

If you want him to see more out the back, just throw some 15% on there and he'll get a lot of benefit from the UV/infared rejection.

Attachments

• Llumar Performance Data.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 84

borant

Reaction score
In TX I'd personally pay extra couple hundreds over ceramic for Lllumar Stratos hybrid film with extra protection from ambient heat

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the attachment to compare performance data between the different types of tint from a reputable manufacturer. What you're really looking for is the %TSER value. You'll notice that the ceramic tint outperforms dyed.

I have Huper Optik 30% on the pano sunroof. I had hoped to put 15% but the shop does not stock that percentage and I didn't want to wait for them to order it. Huper is one of the better performing films, but I find that the Texas sun this time of year is still too hot for my bald head. So I keep the pano shade closed most of the time.

I've got a couple of young kids and they like the shade being opened. If we're riding somewhere during hours when the sun isn't directly overhead, I'll open it for them.

Additionally, I'm struggling with AC performance and keeping the shade closed helps the cabin be more bearable when its 109* out. I think once the weather turns cooler, I'll keep the shade open more.

I'm contemplating re-tinting the moonroof myself with some Huper 15% so the heat rejection will be better / let less light in as well.

I have 5% on the driver/passenger fronts, 15% on the rear passenger seats, and 5% on the back glass. All Llumar ceramic. My kids are 6 and 4 and are forward facing. I had 5% on their windows on my last vehicle and while I enjoyed the darkness in the back, its almost too dark for curious children who like to look outside as we're driving. The 15% over the factory ~20% or so matches the 5% up front very well from a exterior color standpoint and lets them be able to see more of what's passing by.

If you want him to see more out the back, just throw some 15% on there and he'll get a lot of benefit from the UV/infared rejection.

5% on the fronts? Must be nice lol...we can only do 70%

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In TX I'd personally pay extra couple hundreds over ceramic for Lllumar Stratos hybrid film with extra protection from ambient heat

They don't make Stratos in 5% otherwise I would have looked at it harder. ;)

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
5% on the fronts? Must be nice lol...we can only do 70%

Doesn't mean it will pass inspection :cool:. Texas law is minimum 25% VLT on the front windows, anything goes for the rest of the passenger windows/back glass. I couldn't live in a state with 70% up front, that sucks!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't mean it will pass inspection :cool:. Texas law is minimum 25% VLT on the front windows, anything goes for the rest of the passenger windows/back glass. I couldn't live in a state with 70% up front, that sucks!

It does. And they passed a law mandating inspection of window tint during annual inspections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/