5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Coating Questions

Gibster

Reaction score
I'm a little old school when it comes to protecting paint. Admittedly, I don't know much about Ceramic Coatings or the process. I want to get my new Rebel GT protected when I get it.

I've been quoted $1200 for paint correction, 7 year ceramic for paint, wheels, glass, and seats.

Too good to be true? I realize in this day and age, anyone with a social media account can be anything they want to be! What do I need to look for in a detailer doing this type and scope of work?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a little old school when it comes to protecting paint. Admittedly, I don't know much about Ceramic Coatings or the process. I want to get my new Rebel GT protected when I get it.

I've been quoted $1200 for paint correction, 7 year ceramic for paint, wheels, glass, and seats.

Too good to be true? I realize in this day and age, anyone with a social media account can be anything they want to be! What do I need to look for in a detailer doing this type and scope of work?
If they are using a true professional ceramic coating, the installer will be certified by the manufacturer of the coating. If they can't produce a certification, they are just using a cheaper coating anyone can buy and install.

The most important part of the process is the paint correction

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm not aware of any coating that lasts 7 years. If he's saying that he is going to keep the coating performing as new for 7 years than I think it';s a good deal. I paid more than that for a 3 year Kenzo (not guaranteed).

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

check this place out
they have places nationwide

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any coating that lasts 7 years. If he's saying that he is going to keep the coating performing as new for 7 years than I think it';s a good deal. I paid more than that for a 3 year Kenzo (not guaranteed).
Lots of places offer 7 year coating guarantees. Most of the time it involves mandstory annual "maintenance" washes where they will re-apply a thin coat.

Dustin P

Reaction score
If you have a DA polisher and applicable materials, it’s easy to correct paint yourself. Patience is everything. I do all my own vehicles, and my Ram was no exception. 3 full days of washing, correction, and application. It’s easier when your vehicle is new because it’s not swirled to heck yet. The coating I use lasts 2-3 years with proper maintenance washes. Usually I’ll trade in a vehicle not long after that.

Attachments

• E9F88382-E2CB-4577-AEC1-5AD74157044C.jpeg
    E9F88382-E2CB-4577-AEC1-5AD74157044C.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 121
  • AE3BA3E9-D78B-4F74-AC05-89F30AF88FF1.jpeg
    AE3BA3E9-D78B-4F74-AC05-89F30AF88FF1.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 121
  • A0977BF9-C1A4-4B1F-97A8-CAD6FA54C174.jpeg
    A0977BF9-C1A4-4B1F-97A8-CAD6FA54C174.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 119

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
If you have a DA polisher and applicable materials, it’s easy to correct paint yourself. Patience is everything. I do all my own vehicles, and my Ram was no exception. 3 full days of washing, correction, and application. It’s easier when your vehicle is new because it’s not swirled to heck yet. The coating I use lasts 2-3 years with proper maintenance washes. Usually I’ll trade in a vehicle not long after that.
nice fuel door
where did you get it?

Dustin P

Reaction score
nice fuel door
where did you get it?
eBay. Believe it or not when I bought my truck, it was actually missing. My experience with the dealership was so nightmarish I told them to not worry about it, that I’d get my own. I hated it at first but it grew on me lol.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used Avalon King Ceramic coating on my truck and my wife's car and I personally will be going back to hand polishing/waxing. The ceramic coating went on easily and the truck looked great, but after 2 months, the hydrophobic properties dropped off considerably and the water wasn't sheeting off the sides like it did immediately after coating. My wife's new car was washed last week and I use a leaf blower to get most of the water out of the seams and mirrors. The water did NOT just blow off and stuck to the car the same as a car that needs wax. Her car was coated in May of 2020 and here we are in January and the hydrophobic properties appear gone.

I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal car wash and I've even used the Gyeon ceramic maintenance spray. Both of my vehicles are garage kept. Based on my results, I will be going back to the old school protection methods as it's also somewhat therapeutic to maintain my cars.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used Avalon King Ceramic coating on my truck and my wife's car and I personally will be going back to hand polishing/waxing. The ceramic coating went on easily and the truck looked great, but after 2 months, the hydrophobic properties dropped off considerably and the water wasn't sheeting off the sides like it did immediately after coating. My wife's new car was washed last week and I use a leaf blower to get most of the water out of the seams and mirrors. The water did NOT just blow off and stuck to the car the same as a car that needs wax. Her car was coated in May of 2020 and here we are in January and the hydrophobic properties appear gone.

I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal car wash and I've even used the Gyeon ceramic maintenance spray. Both of my vehicles are garage kept. Based on my results, I will be going back to the old school protection methods as it's also somewhat therapeutic to maintain my cars.
The DIY ceramic coatings don't last as long.

jws350

Reaction score

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The DIY ceramic coatings don't last as long.
When they advertise 3-5 years, I'll disagree. I also noticed a lot of youtube videos where people are saying it still works for them after 1 year. Pan the Organizer even did a video on them after using it for one year and he raved about it as a consumer applied coating that lives up to it's claims. I'm not having any luck with it, so I'm going back to waxing/polishing by hand. BTW, I also called Meguiar's and found the car wash I use is pH balanced and safe for ceramic coatings.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When they advertise 3-5 years, I'll disagree. I also noticed a lot of youtube videos where people are saying it still works for them after 1 year. Pan the Organizer even did a video on them after using it for one year and he raved about it as a consumer applied coating that lives up to it's claims. I'm not having any luck with it, so I'm going back to waxing/polishing by hand. BTW, I also called Meguiar's and found the car wash I use is pH balanced and safe for ceramic coatings.

I take youtube reviews from "influencers" with a grain of salt because a lot of time they are given the product for free and sometimes even paid to give positive reviews.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That's my experience with Avalon King as well. Gyeon ceramic coat seemed to last about a year. Ironically, I applied carpro UK 2.0 ceramic coat on the bed at the same time I did the Avalon. I didn't notice that Avalon was easier to than the carpro but I've noticed that the carpro still sheets water off the bed whereas the Avalon king does not on the doors.
IMO Avalon King is a BS product that doesn't deliver what's advertised

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my black truck, I'm in the middle of my third winter and my truck with the professionally applied IGL Kenzo still looks like better than new. The only thing I use is the IGL Enhancer as a drying agent every 3rd or 4th wash.... blow dry in between.
I will never go back to the old ways with a big truck.

Dustin P

Reaction score
I use CarPro CQuartz and get 2-3 years before hydrophobic qualities fade. While commercial companies do get better coatings, this consumer grade product has worked for me for many years and many vehicles now. Maintenance is important to keep the coating in prime condition.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That is discouraging. I used this same product on my truck recently and it looks fantastic. It has really been nice that the truck has stayed clean for a while. It seems that dirt is repelled fairly well. Hopefully the coating will hold up. It was a lot of work to do it right and took me about 2 days.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My dealer did this coating on my truck before I picked it up. For $995 I wasn’t impressed.

I got much better results with cheap spray on ceramic coating.😆

999ADAD4-D4B1-4FF9-ABB4-5D241C871D0F.jpeg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$1200 for full truck plus interior is too good to be true.
For instance, I paid $2000 homie hooked up price for my 4Runner back in 2019 with ceramic pro. Paint correction, full buff and polish, then 5 coats. That was almost 50% off for homie homie hook up.

But if you do offroading or use your truck to do truck things, I'd recommend do PPF instead. PPF = Paint Protection Film

frisby5

Reaction score
I was just quoted $1200 from a certified Ceramic Pro installer , that includes the gold package lifetime protection which i have doubts about that. My truck is new
So it wont take much for them to prep. I was wondering if i should save my money and do a paint sealant or do a hybrid ceramic coating myself or stick
To wax.

Users who are viewing this thread