5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

country4life

Reaction score
hi i have a 2020 ram with a ceramic coating when i bought the truck and its had some body work done due to a accident and im wondering if the bodyshop removed the ceramic coating in the area that was fixed and if its now not coated in some areas?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They would have to remove the coating if there was traditional body work done. If they just did paintless dent repair, the coating doesn’t have to come off.

country4life

Reaction score
They would have to remove the coating if there was traditional body work done. If they just did paintless dent repair, the coating doesn’t have to come off.
there was some scratches so i think they might of re painted some areas
if they did traditional body repair would they know about the coating and re applied some in the areas that were repaired?

also I'm wondering if i can get my truck polished if it has the ceramic coating ?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
there was some scratches so i think they might of re painted some areas
if they did traditional body repair would they know about the coating and re applied some in the areas that were repaired?

also I'm wondering if i can get my truck polished if it has the ceramic coating ?
I think the best thing to do at this point is call the body shop to ask if they reapplied ceramic coating to the areas that they fixed (not likely, especially if they had to paint). After you verify they did not apply the coating, call your insurance company and tell them that you still need the repairs ceramic coated and reconditioned. That’s the exact process I had to follow on one of my vehicles after I hit a deer last year.

country4life

Reaction score
I think the best thing to do at this point is call the body shop to ask if they reapplied ceramic coating to the areas that they fixed (not likely, especially if they had to paint). After you verify they did not apply the coating, call your insurance company and tell them that you still need the repairs ceramic coated and reconditioned. That’s the exact process I had to follow on one of my vehicles after I hit a deer last year.
ok ill give a call, if i was to leave it not ceramic coating in the areas that were repaired would it cause the paint not to match over time?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ok ill give a call, if i was to leave it not ceramic coating in the areas that were repaired would it cause the paint not to match over time?
Possibly over a long period of time due to the UV filtering nature of most ceramic coatings. Over a period of years, you might see more oxidation of paint in the non-coated areas. However, ceramic coatings need maintenance and reapplication at intervals (defined by the manufacturer of the coating), so it’s also a possibility your coating will no longer protect the paint before you notice any differences. Your care of the ceramic (i.e. using only no-touch car washes, garage kept, etc.) will determine the longevity of the coating. Additionally- if you have a high gloss ceramic coating, you could see a difference right now if you look at the paint from different angles under a good 5k LED light (or sunlight).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you know the shop that applied the coating, contact them. I know the shop that did mine will re-apply to the panels that were worked on at no cost.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
OP's truck is at least 2 and maybe closer to 3 years old. When was the ceramic coating applied?

Probably time to have the coating redone anyway...

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could try this.

Do you know which coating was applied to the truck? Might not be worth trying to salvage it if it's a basic consumer grade install.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How long ago was the panel repainted? You shouldn't wax, seal, ceramic coat or apply PPF over freshly painted areas, the paint needs to cure for 60-90 days. If you do, the paint will try to cure and solvents will create a milky haze under the seal.
The body shop would not have re-sealed or coated with anything for this reason

BowDown

Reaction score
can you polish paint that has the ceramic coat?

Yes and no.
You'd need to use a cutting pad and a polish or cutting compound then you can re-polish. My rupes blue or yellow pads and 3D One polish knock ceramic coating down pretty quick
You can also wet sand it off with 2000 grit then re-polish

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Correct.

But that means you have to re apply the ceramic after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
my ceramic company in my signature stated that all I need to do is wash the truck at least by-weekly and remove bug and bird crap asap.
no waxing, no buffing, no car cover
it has a lifetime guarantee as long as I have them inspect it every year

Users who are viewing this thread