5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Coating, Paint Protection Film, and Tint next week

ryelinek

Reaction score
My buddy has a good friend that owns a great detail shop in Northern VA. Leaving my truck with him for a week next week to get tint installed, PPF on the front, and a multiple layer ceramic coat.

Once it’s done the Granite Crystal on my truck should just look insanely nice.

Side note my guy was VERY impressed with the paint on the RAM. He said it will require very little Paint Correction treatment. Actually he said some of the worst paint jobs are on Rolls Royce, Lambos, and other Uber high end brands since they are painted one at a time and usually leads to more defects.

I’ll be sure to post some photos of the process he is going to send me and some after shots.

Reaction score
Got mine done as well, picked it up yesterday - this is my 4th one getting done.......love how easy it is to clean!

ryelinek

Reaction score
Got mine done as well, picked it up yesterday - this is my 4th one getting done.......love how easy it is to clean!

That’s awesome. This will be my first car I’ve coated. I’ve looked into it a lot and since I plan on having the truck for 4 years give or take and hopefully it should be worth it.

Paying a little extra for a specific coating that comes with a 5 year dealer installed warranty. Should be worth it since it’s a daily driver for me and not garage parked.

What color is your truck you coated? Any photos to show after it was done?

ryelinek

Reaction score
Looks great. Congrats on an awesome truck! Will suck to give up my truck and get driven around for a week but will be worth it. This guy doing it is the real deal so I have high hopes hah.

Reaction score
Looks great. Congrats on an awesome truck! Will suck to give up my truck and get driven around for a week but will be worth it. This guy doing it is the real deal so I have high hopes hah.

TY!! I did a multilayer protection as well, my installer's "lifetime" package. He uses UV lamps to cure it (vs letting it air cure, etc) - and.....I dropped it off on Tuesday morning and brought it back home Thursday (and it promptly rained on it lol)
35745592_2077867932434509_1946902705272258560_o.jpg 35893235_2077867942434508_5530820405729689600_o.jpg 2018-06-21 19.01.30.jpg 2018-06-21 19.01.15.jpg

ryelinek

Reaction score
So let me ask this being your 4th coated vehicle do you live in a snowy winter area? How does it hold up over time for you and is yours garage kept or outside? Curious to how durable it is and lasts over time in your experience.

Reaction score
So let me ask this being your 4th coated vehicle do you live in a snowy winter area? How does it hold up over time for you and is yours garage kept or outside? Curious to how durable it is and lasts over time in your experience.

I live in St Louis MO. Not a lot of snow.

Veh 1 - 2015 Charger SRT392.......garage queen, but I drove it in the rain quite a bit....when I sold it, it was beading like mad, no issues there. It was about 18 months after the application.
Veh 2 - 2016 Ram 1500 - sits outside all the time. Easy to clean, but can tell a difference between it and the '15 Charger. Though.....I don't clean it nearly as much or often as my Charger.
Veh 3 - 2016 Charger Hellcat - another garage queen. It never sees rain, never really gets dirty. Most of the time all I need to do is use detail spray to clean, or ..... waterless wash with Optimum No Rinse. Took it in for its maintenance coating (done once a year, basically just a check on the coating and reapply the top coating). Shop said it wasn't even needed, not surprising.....I mean......its got under 4K miles, and stays clean :cool:

When done right, it will last quite long - certainly makes things a LOT easier to clean.

ryelinek

Reaction score
I live in St Louis MO. Not a lot of snow.

Veh 1 - 2015 Charger SRT392.......garage queen, but I drove it in the rain quite a bit....when I sold it, it was beading like mad, no issues there. It was about 18 months after the application.
Veh 2 - 2016 Ram 1500 - sits outside all the time. Easy to clean, but can tell a difference between it and the '15 Charger. Though.....I don't clean it nearly as much or often as my Charger.
Veh 3 - 2016 Charger Hellcat - another garage queen. It never sees rain, never really gets dirty. Most of the time all I need to do is use detail spray to clean, or ..... waterless wash with Optimum No Rinse. Took it in for its maintenance coating (done once a year, basically just a check on the coating and reapply the top coating). Shop said it wasn't even needed, not surprising.....I mean......its got under 4K miles, and stays clean :cool:

When done right, it will last quite long - certainly makes things a LOT easier to clean.

Good to know thanks. Glad to hear it worked well on your other RAM. I have high hopes hah

Reaction score
Its great, though some places overhype it to make customers think that nothing sticks to it, you'll never get dirty, etc.......which is BS.

Yes, the truck is going to get dirty, but.....most of the time just a quick powerwash and you are set.

UltraMadMax

Reaction score
Was intrigued by your post of ceramic coating and found this on the internet. Not sure what the truth is. Let me know if anyone can find facts about these coatings and paint protection.

Reaction score
Was intrigued by your post of ceramic coating and found this on the internet. Not sure what the truth is. Let me know if anyone can find facts about these coatings and paint protection.

That guy is annoying as hell......

Melanie didn't come see me when I was buying my truck. I took mine to a different shop.....but anyway - with mine - as mentioned before, this is my 4th one being done. With 2 years of experience with coating on my stuff, I can say - it works great. Sure, the clear coat on the vehicle is nice from the factory - but there are always ways for it to work and look better.

In this guys terms......"they work together"......ie, clearcoat and the ceramic coating.

Anyway, the video guy sure has a hard on for Melanie's boobs......

ryelinek

Reaction score

This guy is a bit much for me hahah. A ceramic coat WILL NOT make your paint perfect and immune from damage. It can still scratch and take damage.

The point of a coat is you apply this material that bonds to the paint in a ultra hard layer of protection. Think of it as a very long term wax application. It makes the surface of your car very hydrophobic and repels and beads water. It also makes it hard for bugs and dirt to stick BUT they still will.

The car becomes much easier to clean and when clean will always have a very high gloss wax like look.

The car is cleaned and prepped to where it is near perfection when the ceramic coating material is applied so the paint looks and is at its best. For someone that wants their car to always “pop” with less maintenance than waxing all the time it’s a good investment.

Personally waxing the car all the time does nothing for me. Some love it, I don’t have time for it. I’d rather be able to do a quick home wash every two weeks or so and maintain my wax look year round. Also like I said it does not make the car IMMUNE to damage but it does make a strong outer layer that does help protect from damage.

ryelinek

Reaction score
And yes @0212353 had a good point. We aren’t getting this done at a dealer and getting a half *** job. I don’t think dealers offer a real ceramic coat. Go to a professional detail shop and have them do it. Plus they will need your car for a few days to do it proper.

If someone quotes you a super low price or says they can do it in a day. Go elsewhere you are dealing with amateur hour.

UltraMadMax

Reaction score
And yes @0212353 had a good point. We aren’t getting this done at a dealer and getting a half *** job. I don’t think dealers offer a real ceramic coat. Go to a professional detail shop and have them do it. Plus they will need your car for a few days to do it proper.

If someone quotes you a super low price or says they can do it in a day. Go elsewhere you are dealing with amateur hour.
thanks will do

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
So much great information in this thread, thank you.
My rep said ceramic coating is included at their dealership, but I will still get a Pro Detail shop take a look at it, whenever that is, Ram gets around to building mine.

ryelinek

Reaction score
So much great information in this thread, thank you.
My rep said ceramic coating is included at their dealership, but I will still get a Pro Detail shop take a look at it, whenever that is, Ram gets around to building mine.

Yea I would not trust the dealer. I highly doubt they are using a high end coat material let alone having it applied by a certified dealer.

They are probably trying to sell you on a higher end spray on wax or sealant. Not the same. If you want a ceramic coat I would 100% pass on what they offer and go to a pro.

He will need to check and perform and needed paint correction, polish your truck, and apply a few layers with a break in between.

A lot of the higher end products are mostly similar if you go with a good one. Most important is finding someone that knows what the hell it is they are doing.

Flot

Reaction score
I'd like to hear some rough pricing for what you guys are paying for paint protection film and ceramic coats. I'm not positive I'll do either, although the paint film is tempting. I was shocked when I was detailing my 2011 to sell at how much abuse the front bumper and mirrors had taken, mostly from high speed bug impacts.

First quote I got for paint film was $850 for "partial front" - at that price I don't think I'll bother.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got front end done-upper and lower bumper, grille, across hood(12 inches) and down over the fenders, A-pillar, across roof(12 inches) and door sills. Warrantied for 10 years if I have any problem with it they will replace it for free. Cost me $1000(Canadian). Have had the door sills redone under warranty as they turned a bit yellow- probably from salt/snow in winter.
I will get my new Rebel done when I get it, probably not as much as my Outdoorman as the Rebel has powder coated bumpers on front. Will take a good look at it when I get it.

ryelinek

Reaction score
I'd like to hear some rough pricing for what you guys are paying for paint protection film and ceramic coats. I'm not positive I'll do either, although the paint film is tempting. I was shocked when I was detailing my 2011 to sell at how much abuse the front bumper and mirrors had taken, mostly from high speed bug impacts.

First quote I got for paint film was $850 for "partial front" - at that price I don't think I'll bother.

Yea those guys aren’t off in price. Granted I live in Northern VA outside of DC and everything is more expensive. I’ve seen people mention getting similar work paying half of what I am about to.

For me it’s going to be about 2,500 for everything to include. Front coverage for paint protection film, multiple layer ceramic coating with paint correction, ceramic coat on windshield, and ceramic tint on front two windows.

Good coverage of PPF is typically about 1000 and a GOOD application of ceramic should be at least 1000 too. I even talked my guy down in price and had him use a higher quality ceramic coat.

I drop mine off on 6/27 for everything to start and should have it back around 7/3.

Users who are viewing this thread