5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic coating DIY Kits

Donnygee

Reaction score
what do you guys recommend for a diy ceramic coating kit? Came across some pretty cheap products like Mr Fix 9h anyone have any experience with this or similar products?

ericd

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Color-Drive-Automotive-Protection-Scratches/dp/B01N7UF4ZD

I used color n drive. It seemed to go on fine. Water seems to bead off just like a regular wax. Since my truck is white I don't notice a huge benefit in regards to shine. But what most people say on here is that it's only as good as the prep done ahead of time. I didn't do the full paint correction and buffing and all that stuff. Just a wash, clay bar, then the ceramic since I applied it the first week I got it.

Webbd30

Reaction score
I’m a professional detailer. For those wanting a DIY I only recommend Car Pro products.

If you want a pro install ceramic Pro is the way to go and use car pro products to take care of the coat for after care.

Best

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daspes

Reaction score
I use Car Pro’s CQUK on all my vehicles. Very impressed.

A few months ago wife was backing her Charger out of the garage and the belt broke. Dropping the door and dragging it across the hood. Small dent at initial impact, but not one scratch on the paint.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m a professional detailer. For those wanting a DIY I only recommend Car Pro products.

If you want a pro install ceramic Pro is the way to go and use car pro products to take care of the coat for after care.

Best

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second that. CP or any of the other well-known brands. Stay away from the Chinese stuff they sell on AMZ or Ebay. They're absolutely crap and you'll just be throwing money away.

skol

Reaction score
After the ceramic coating, what do you recommend for maintaining until the next ceramic application? Living in the desert my truck gets pretty dusty and dirty fairly quickly. I thought about taking it threw a car wash but have heard bad things.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You can wash it as you would any vehicle, as long as it’s hand washed, otherwise the paint will scratch just as easy as an un-coated car. Would be a pity to spend all that money and effort to have it go through an automatic car wash and have it make spiderweb scratches on the paint (in my opinion).

Cheers,

DennisY

Reaction score
Care to expand on the CarPro recommendation? There seems to be a whole heckuva lot of products on their web site.

banditsc

Reaction score
I have been using Adams Polishes products for a while and am very happy with their Ceramic kit, very easy to apply and one of the hardest Ceramics out there with a 9h rating.

skol

Reaction score
You can wash it as you would any vehicle, as long as it’s hand washed, otherwise the paint will scratch just as easy as an un-coated car. Would be a pity to spend all that money and effort to have it go through an automatic car wash and have it make spiderweb scratches on the paint (in my opinion).

Cheers,

Would a touch less wash be ok. We have touchless and autowashes with brushes. I know those washes with the brush messes with the paint, but am curious about the touchless ones.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Care to expand on the CarPro recommendation? There seems to be a whole heckuva lot of products on their web site.

There are tons of different companies that are just as good as CarPro - Each company has many good products and many bad products. I'm not biased towards one brand at all, just need to do some research on what you're looking for.

For example. I like Citrius wash from Chemical guys (use it over Meguiars Gold Class) - I also like VRP for tire dressing and other dressing like the sport hood for example. V07 isn't that bad as a quick detailer and sealant all in one if you're just doing small touchups, but there are better (if applied individaully)

Ceramic coatings, I go for CQUARTZ. It's tried and true, they released a lite version not long ago at all that makes applying easier.

Would a touch less wash be ok. We have touchless and autowashes with brushes. I know those washes with the brush messes with the paint, but am curious about the touchless ones.

Yes, touchless washes are OK. Do not use any brushes from autowashes, that's where the scratching comes from. Touchless washes will still require you to clean properly though in straight lines and stuff like that.

gmab

Reaction score
I ordered and am waiting to arrive - Gtechniq Crystal Serum Lite and EXOv4. Does anyone have experience with these products?

Saints

Reaction score
I ordered and am waiting to arrive - Gtechniq Crystal Serum Lite and EXOv4. Does anyone have experience with these products?
Gtechniq has very good products. I did my wheels with C5 and have been happy so far. I had my truck professionally done with Gyeon ceramic which I’ve never used before, but my business partner had his Charger done with and heard and saw how great of a product it is. You also have to consider what the pros get are not the same products that are sold to the general public although they still can do a good job, prep is king.

I do have a good bit of experience with CarPro products and think they are some of the best you can buy. No matter what ceramic you go with (as long as it’s not some no name product off of Amazon) you can refresh it with a lot of products, but I would stick with CarPro Hydro2, Sonax spray and seal or something of the like. Read up on the Autogeek forums and you will find what works and what does not.

The reason to stay away from car washes or swirl o matics is pretty simple. How many cars a day go through those flippy floppy things that touch your car and how often are they cleaned thoroughly? 100? 1,000? Would you use a dirt/water filled bucket to wash your car? No, dirt acts like sandpaper when rubbed against your clear coat and will create swirls and scratches on it . On black cars you can almost just look at it and it scratches. Even with proper washing you will get scratches in the clear. It’s just the nature of how this works and why cars need to eventually be polished/sealed/coated to keep it looking its best.

As has been mentioned a lot of manufacturers make good products, but some also make crap products. Mequiars make some of the best, they also make a lot of crap. Same with chemical guys and so on. Do your research, CarPro mostly makes good ****. Sonax mostly makes good ****. Menzerna mostly makes good ****. Gtechnique, Gyeon, and even Adams make mostly good ****. It cost more, but for good reason.

Clean19

Reaction score
I personally believe, as do many of my colleagues, that CSL is the best retail coating that money can buy. It has a longer duration than some of the professional products. For example, I have an installers agreement with a coating company, and their highest level product has a 4 year warranty. CSL is 5 year duration- not the same as a warranty but I firmly believe it will last that long or longer.

dorskh

Reaction score
i used cquartz uk3.0 2 coats and topped it with gliss....looks fantastic....time consuming to say the least!

gmab

Reaction score
I agree with others that prep is absolutely key and the most time consuming. I'll be going through the process of claying, polishing, IPA wipe down, etc.

mofat01

Reaction score
I use Gyeon Moh's and it's really easy to apply and lasts a couple years. Prep work is key though. Check out the forums on autogeek.com for other brands.

Fidomac

Reaction score
what do you guys recommend for a diy ceramic coating kit? Came across some pretty cheap products like Mr Fix 9h anyone have any experience with this or similar products?
These are chinese products packaged several different ways under different names...i would be wary...too much work to prep the paint and then not get good results

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
These are chinese products packaged several different ways under different names...i would be wary...too much work to prep the paint and then not get good results
Stay away from the Chinese products. They're all junk. Every single one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread