5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center Console USB Issue - 2019 1500

jsonadam

Reaction score
Just bought my new truck today. According to the manual , the USB port in the center console that has a picture of a battery should charge when the car is off. It does not. I have tried several cables and several devices. All charge when the car is on, and stay charging for a few minutes once the car is off but eventually stop charging. I tried the other USB port in the back seat that has a picture of a battery and that charged any of the devices with any of the cables when the car is off or on. I need to leave a pair of wireless headphones in the center console and would like them to be continuously charging. From what I understand, this should be possible but it is not happening. Am I missing something or could it be something broken/wrong.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought my new truck today. According to the manual , the USB port in the center console that has a picture of a battery should charge when the car is off. It does not. I have tried several cables and several devices. All charge when the car is on, and stay charging for a few minutes once the car is off but eventually stop charging. I tried the other USB port in the back seat that has a picture of a battery and that charged any of the devices with any of the cables when the car is off or on. I need to leave a pair of wireless headphones in the center console and would like them to be continuously charging. From what I understand, this should be possible but it is not happening. Am I missing something or could it be something broken/wrong.
Mines the same way

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On the 4th Gens you had to move a fuse to be "on" all the time.

jsonadam

Reaction score
Working as designed. Nothing in the manual about making it constant power like on the previous gens that I can find.
Manual claims if the USB has a picture of a battery, it is designed to be always on. The other one with a picture of a battery is in the rear and works all the time.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Manual claims if the USB has a picture of a battery, it is designed to be always on. The other one with a picture of a battery is in the rear and works all the time.
Which ones can transfer data to the Uconnect?
What do the numbered USB's mean compared to the ones without numbers?

stepbill

Reaction score
CMerkert, you should have 2 data ports with the number 1 & 2 with the data symbol. Those will both charge and transfer data to Apple Car play or you could put a USB drive in and listen to music from it.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CMerkert, you should have 2 data ports with the number 1 & 2 with the data symbol. Those will both charge and transfer data to Apple Car play or you could put a USB drive in and listen to music from it.
Android Auto also, right?

Those are the 2 to the right of the CD player and the left one in the back seat, rear of console.

The USB and USB-C both transfer data and charge, correct? Not just the USB, but the C also is what I am meaning..

Kidder

Reaction score
Back to the top. My Laramie is the same way. The one in the center console with the battery symbol only charges with the ignition on. On my 2011 and 2016, the one with the key would only be active with the ignition on/set to acc. The one with the battery symbol would charge all the time. So, is there a fuse that needs to be moved or is this a manufacturing error? My wife's 2018 Pacifica works, incorrectly, the same way. The USB with battery symbol only works with the ignition on.

Last edited:

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine USB port 1 & 2 will always have power and the one inside center console only works with the ignition On, didn't try 2 USBs on back yet so don't know how it work.

CodeTHR33

Reaction score
If you look in the owners manual (pages 118-121), the position of fuse F54 can be shifted to change from ignition to battery for the 12v power outlet. I believe this is the fuse panel under the dash and I’m not sure how to access it. Might have to remove a facia panel. Whether or not this change also affects the USB power, I’m not sure.

Kidder

Reaction score
Back to the top. My Laramie is the same way. The one in the center console with the battery symbol only charges with the ignition on. On my 2011 and 2016, the one with the key would only be active with the ignition on/set to acc. The one with the battery symbol would charge all the time. So, is there a fuse that needs to be moved or is this a manufacturing error? My wife's 2018 Pacifica works, incorrectly, the same way. The USB with battery symbol only works with the ignition on.
@RamCares, this seems to be an issue with all of the 2019 5th gentrucks. Can a fuse be moved or is it a wiring/manufacturing problem?

Kidder

Reaction score
If you look in the owners manual (pages 118-121), the position of fuse F54 can be shifted to change from ignition to battery for the 12v power outlet. I believe this is the fuse panel under the dash and I’m not sure how to access it. Might have to remove a facia panel. Whether or not this change also affects the USB power, I’m not sure.
I confirmed yesterday that moving the fuse does not affect the USB power in the center console. It shows the battery symbol but only works with the ACC on. My 2011 and 2016, both had constant power and did indeed show the battery symbol. My guess is that this is a manufacturing issue.

Does anyone else have USB power at the port inside the center console that doesn't require ACC to be on?

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I confirmed yesterday that moving the fuse does not affect the USB power in the center console. It shows the battery symbol but only works with the ACC on. My 2011 and 2016, both had constant power and did indeed show the battery symbol. My guess is that this is a manufacturing issue.

Does anyone else have USB power at the port inside the center console that doesn't require ACC to be on?

Battery symbol is not mean is run on battery is mean that port is for charging only, USB symbol mean is will connect to Uconnect.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was curious, so I went out to check the ones in mine (Longhorn).

Front Directly under the 12.1" screen:
#1 - appears to be 'on' all the time (Dash cam is plugged into this one and appears to be working in 'parking lot' mode)
#2 - appears to be 'on' all the time

Center console lid area:
No number, just battery symbol - is not powered while truck is off

Back of the Center Console:
#3 - appears to be 'on' all the time

*Truck has been off for 30'ish minutes and I entered the passenger side door. Did not touch the start button, so it should be 'OFF'.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I was curious, so I went out to check the ones in mine (Longhorn).

Front Directly under the 12.1" screen:
#1 - appears to be 'on' all the time (Dash cam is plugged into this one and appears to be working in 'parking lot' mode)
#2 - appears to be 'on' all the time

Center console lid area:

Back of the Center Console:
#3 - appears to be 'on' all the time

*Truck has been off for 30'ish minutes and I entered the passenger side door. Did not touch the start button, so it should be 'OFF'.
I believe when you open any door like that, the data USB's power on even without pressing the start button. I have noticed that when I have left my phone plugged in accidentally and go back out in the garage to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread