5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CD Player for 2022 Ram 1500?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a new 2022 truck with the 8.4" nav radio, and they didn't offer CD player as an option.
But I have a lot of CD's...

Looking through various online parts diagrams, I see that there was a CD player in previous years.
And the official ramtrucks parts site says this part "will fit" my truck. Okay we all know enough to take
*that* with a grain of salt, right?

but...

Does anyone know, if I can figure out all the part numbers, and get the CD player and associated wiring,
and the right console pieces ..... will the radio recognize and work with the CD player?
Or have they written it out of the radio firmware?
Do I need to look for something to plug into Aux instead?
Or bluetooth, like the Brennan, maybe?

- Rick

BigD

Reaction score
Just copy your CD's to your computer, if u have a computer with a disc drive, then put them on a USB drive. Took me 3 days to copy all my CD's to computer, but only seconds to put them on the USB. Or subscribe to something like Spotify & stream whatever u want, whenever u want. So far the only artist I've noticed who isn't on Spotify is Garth Brooks. Otherwise I can listen to anyone I want for like $10/month. Way easier than lugging a bunch of CD's around. I gave all my CD's to the Goodwill. Sad when I think about the thousands I spent buying those 30 years ago, & now u can't barely give them away.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
So I have a new 2022 truck with the 8.4" nav radio, and they didn't offer CD player as an option.

Looking through various online parts diagrams, I see that there was a CD player in previous years.
And the official ramtrucks parts site says this part "will fit" my truck. Okay we all know enough to take

but...

Does anyone know, if I can figure out all the part numbers, and get the CD player and associated wiring,
and the right console pieces ..... will the radio recognize and work with the CD player?

- Rick
I was debating on trying to add the cd player to mine as well. My other car actually has a hard drive in it that I can rip cds to the car (they rip while driving) and I looove that feature.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just copy your CD's to your computer, if u have a computer with a disc drive, then put them on a USB drive. Took me 3 days to copy all my CD's to computer, but only seconds to put them on the USB. Or subscribe to something like Spotify & stream whatever u want, whenever u want. So far the only artist I've noticed who isn't on Spotify is Garth Brooks. Otherwise I can listen to anyone I want for like $10/month. Way easier than lugging a bunch of CD's around. I gave all my CD's to the Goodwill. Sad when I think about the thousands I spent buying those 30 years ago, & now u can't barely give them away.
I could whine about how much time it will take to rip all my CD's, but the truth is I've already done it. Still would like to have a player. Not looking forward to ripping my '78s...

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

but...

- Rick
There is a thread/posts on this but I do not recall the title or location, also I believe there may have been something available on Amazon. My 2019 Bighorn has the CD player but I believe it was later eliminated. Wish I could be of more help but having the CD I did not concern myself so much.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I was debating on trying to add the cd player to mine as well. My other car actually has a hard drive in it that I can rip cds to the car (they rip while driving) and I looove that feature.
My 2012 Challenger had that capability. It was great - didn't have to copy CDs to USB, and literally only downloaded the songs that I wanted. It was just a hard drive of all my favorites

HemiDude

Reaction score
If your factory install doesn't work out, I put one of these in my Ram. Just plugs into your usb port. I Gorilla taped mine to the back wall inside my console, facing up, so I can easily pop CDs in or out.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2022 is an all new unit, not sure if the CD player from previous years would work. I used to have a giant binder with CDs back in the day, pain in the *** trying to find a CD while at a stoplight. LOL
Much easier to tell Spotify what I want to listen to.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your factory install doesn't work out, I put one of these in my Ram. Just plugs into your usb port. I Gorilla taped mine to the back wall inside my console, facing up, so I can easily pop CDs in or out.

I was dimly aware of those, but didn't know how well they work. I'm guessing they emulate one of MicroSoft's memory device protocols (pretends to be thumb drive). How does it work for you? Do you have play, pause, track control from the console and steering wheel controls? I'd prefer to keep eyes forward operating it. Thanks for info.

BigD

Reaction score
The 2022 is an all new unit, not sure if the CD player from previous years would work. I used to have a giant binder with CDs back in the day, pain in the *** trying to find a CD while at a stoplight. LOL
Much easier to tell Spotify what I want to listen to.
Agree 💯

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
A standalone player with an auxiliary plug would be the simplest. I have a disc reader/writer with USB for my laptop, and it doesn't work in the USB port of the truck. I tried it, just out of curiosity, since I already have a factory CD.

Copying CDs into your computer and then onto a flash drive doesn't take all that long. I did it. So now I can leave the CDs in my old Jeep, or listen at home on my computer, or in the truck with the flash drive. The flash drive or CDs will also play in the wife's car. The flash drive doesn't take up the space that a bunch of CDs do, and it won't scratch, and you're not going to crack it by stuffing something else in the console. It's also easier to switch albums while driving when you don't have to handle them. The added advantage is that I can download stuff that isn't available on CD, stuff like this.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I was dimly aware of those, but didn't know how well they work. I'm guessing they emulate one of MicroSoft's memory device protocols (pretends to be thumb drive). How does it work for you? Do you have play, pause, track control from the console and steering wheel controls? I'd prefer to keep eyes forward operating it. Thanks for info.
Yes, works through the radio, so any controls you would have normally, include steering wheel controls, function as intended. The only beef I have with it is that it doesn't display song or artist info, only Track #s

HemiDude

Reaction score
A standalone player with an auxiliary plug would be the simplest. I have a disc reader/writer with USB for my laptop, and it doesn't work in the USB port of the truck. I tried it, just out of curiosity, since I already have a factory CD.

Copying CDs into your computer and then onto a flash drive doesn't take all that long. I did it. So now I can leave the CDs in my old Jeep, or listen at home on my computer, or in the truck with the flash drive. The flash drive or CDs will also play in the wife's car. The flash drive doesn't take up the space that a bunch of CDs do, and it won't scratch, and you're not going to crack it by stuffing something else in the console. It's also easier to switch albums while driving when you don't have to handle them. The added advantage is that I can download stuff that isn't available on CD, stuff like this.
https://www.czechpolka.com/radio/index.html :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, works through the radio, so any controls you would have normally, include steering wheel controls, function as intended. The only beef I have with it is that it doesn't display song or artist info, only Track #s
Looks like Chinese product (no surprise). Cheap enough, might give it a try. Thanks!

Bigbags85

Reaction score

Nice, might have to look into these.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I have yet to slide a CD into mine but I have thought about it just to hear the sound difference and for nostalgia purposes.
I converted my entire collection, (over 1000 CD's), to digital back in 2008 so I have two 512GB USB drives plugged in to my truck with countless titles. One drive is Music, the other is audiobooks.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has the CD player, pretty sure it was a standalone option, and I have never once used it. Another one of those options I paid for because it was a lot truck, but did not want.

Actually didn't even realize it had one for the first few drives as it's tucked up under the radio display, behind where the wireless charger is.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I really need to put all my CDs on the cpu. I'm sure most are somewhere but who knows which hard drives they're on anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread