5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CB Radio

Reaction score
I installed a CB Radio about a year or so in my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn. It's currently wired directly to the battery through the firewall but I'd rather add it into the fusebox so that it turns off when I turn off the key. Any ideas?

CB Radios are very low power (about 1/2 Amp) so you can easily hook it up to your fusebox (unlike Ham Radios that can use/take much more power).

CB Radios are very low power (about 1/2 Amp) so you can easily hook it up to your fusebox (unlike Ham Radios that can use/take much more power).
could I use a 10 amp fuse? just wire it in to an open 10 amp spot?

Find the cigarette lighter fuse. It is a two prong fuse in a three prong socket. The middle is the lighter, one side it B+, the other is Key on. Move the fuse to B+ and stick a spade terminal in the open space, then fuse it and take it to your CB.

could I use a 10 amp fuse? just wire it in to an open 10 amp spot?
Yes you could. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a mistake to use a Much bigger fuse than the expected/normal load on that circuit. For your CB radio, I would use a 2 amp fuse. This will serve to protect the wiring in your vehicle. Just put a 2 amp fuse into that "open" spot.

Yes you could. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a mistake to use a Much bigger fuse than the expected/normal load on that circuit. For your CB radio, I would use a 2 amp fuse. This will serve to protect the wiring in your vehicle. Just put a 2 amp fuse into that "open" spot.
I'm new to all of this. Could I use an "add-a-circuit" pigtails and put the 2 amp fuse in that?

I have a Radioddity Qt80 am/fm/ssb radio being delivered tomorrow. I plan on connecting it to the battery. I plan on making some type of S- hooks and hanging it on the map pocket next to my right knee.

I installed a CB Radio about a year or so in my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn. It's currently wired directly to the battery through the firewall but I'd rather add it into the fusebox so that it turns off when I turn off the key. Any ideas?
i'd leave it as is now and not mess with the fuse box unless absolutely necessary (ie: installing a switch panel like Switch Pros)
now, if you absolutely need to have it turn off when you turn off the key, install a relay with the power from battery, ground to chassis, and the trigger from fuse box.
That way, you will still tap into the fuse box BUT instead of drawing power directly from the fuse box and risk burning it down with incorrect gauged wiring or fuse, you will still draw from the battery but the fuse box will act as a trigger for the relay to complete the circuit when the fuse box sends power.

Where did you install it? Have any pics? I have an old Cobra 29 LTD that I’m planning on installing.

Where did you install it? Have any pics? I have an old Cobra 29 LTD that I’m planning on installing.
Not sure who you're replying to. I found a Overland company back East that makes different mounts for our trucks. I'm waiting for mine to ship. I guess they're a little behind. The bracket I bought will allow the radio to mounted on either side of the lower part of the center console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back