5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: 2020 Ram 1500 With New Tailgate Design:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could This Be The Split Tailgate Design, Or A New Tailgate With Steps?

1544636407884.png
2020 Ram 1500 New Tailgate Prototype. (Real Fast Fotography).

Almost a year ago, we showed you a patent that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) filed for a unique split tailgate design. This design in patent drawings showed a tailgate that features two handles and the split to be a 50/50 down the center. The plan also called for integrated ramps, that would slide out of the floor of the box.

i-PQSmJzt-XL.jpg

2019 Ram 1500 Split Tailgate Design. (KGP Photography).

In the mid-testing segment of FCA’s development of the 2019 Ram 1500, there was a prototype caught running around the FCA Auburn Hills, Michigan campus with a split tailgate design. This design was a tad different from the design patient. It included one handle in the center of the tailgate, compared to the two shown. It also featured more of a 60/40 split in the tailgate design, instead of both sides being able to open directly down the center. The tailgate was never seen again after those pictures were taken.

To see the rest of the article, click the link below...
https://5thgenrams.com/caught-2020-ram-1500-with-new-tailgate-design/

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is good news. But is it more likely to be an early-2019 availability, or will they wait until the 2020 model year ordering starts in fall of 2019?

As long as I'm waiting for the return of the 6'4" Ram Box option, and assuming this will be an early-2019 option, I might as well wait for the "barn door" tailgate and built-in ramps. How much do you think that will cost? Maybe an additional $1500?

Also, I am hoping that Ram puts the built-in ramps in pockets slung immediately underneath the bed floor, not something that runs in open channels in the bed floor. As others have pointed out, sliding ramps in open channels inside the bed floor makes for real problems trying to keep the channels clean after hauling dirt/sand/gravel/etc. But given these most recent images with no notches in the rear face of the 2019's "drop down" bumper that would indicate access to below-bed-floor ramp pockets (i.e. notches/doors immediately below the tailgate but above the bumper's dropped-down step surface), I guess my hope is not to be.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But given these most recent images with no notches in the rear face of the 2019's "drop down" bumper that would indicate access to below-bed-floor ramp pockets (i.e. notches/doors immediately below the tailgate but above the bumper's dropped-down step surface), I guess my hope is not to be.
That area is being obscured by a black cover in the photo above.

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
That would explain why the step on the reap bumper is so low. To allow the ramps to slide out.

molonlabe

Reaction score
I really don't see the utility of a split tailgate. It would need a lot of usefulness to overcome the ugly factor and I'm just not seeing how that would be useful.

RBRK

Reaction score
I agree, seems like a waste of time. It’s a truck put the tailgate up or down. Oh look one side is down and the other up!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That area is being obscured by a black cover in the photo above.

Yes, but that particular image above of the silver truck with the gate exposed is an old one.

Below, I circled in red the area of the latest images where I would have preferred to see notches or door/covers indicating that the ramps are in longitudinal pockets below the bed:
2018-12-12_tailgate-camo-shot.jpg
Clearly, that is a current 2019 1500 rear bumper, no camo over that part of the bumper, and there is nothing in that gray horizontal band above the bumper's dropped step surface indicating that there might be ramp stowage pockets slung below the bed.

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don't see the utility of a split tailgate. It would need a lot of usefulness to overcome the ugly factor and I'm just not seeing how that would be useful.

Because if you want to have ramps that are in open channels in the bed floor, there is no way to slide them out because a conventional tailgate would be in the way. If the gate can open like a barn door, one can slide the ramps out, entirely unhindered. If there are no ramps, then I agree, the utility of a "barn door" tailgate is questionable.

Also, in addition to facilitating the use of built-in ramps, sometimes it is nice to be able to get closer to the load in the bed without having to reach over a conventional tailgate, especially for shorter/smaller/less brawny people, like wives, kids, or anyone with a bad back that fears a spasm locking them up if they reach across the conventional tailgate in a semi-bent-over position while pushing a load in or pulling a load out of the bed.

I'm definitely not trying to convince anyone else that they should opt for the built-in ramps. I'm merely pointing out there are perfectly legitimate use-cases where both the built-in ramps and/or the barn door style tailgate can make certain jobs easier.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Barn style open will allow you to reach in the bed further. A split drop as seen in the patent drawing will allow you to put 2x4s on one side and keep the other closed...helping with other cargo.

And the drop down with steps...walk right into the bed.

This is the option I was most interested in...just hope it is available on a Tradesman just as much as a limited

molonlabe

Reaction score
Having the split in the middle would look better than the offset split but I still don't get the split. Why not just do something like the Ridgeline and just have the whole tailgate swing open? Patent infringement?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I guessed above...to give you two load areas...but I would venture to guess alot has to do with the Wagoneer twins

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having the split in the middle would look better than the offset split but I still don't get the split. Why not just do something like the Ridgeline and just have the whole tailgate swing open? Patent infringement?

You might be right with patent infringement, maybe someone here will research that. But hanging something as long and as heavy as a full-width tailgate on a single, old-fashioned, "freezer-on-top single-width refrigerator door" type hinge is looking for trouble in terms of the hinge getting tired and the gate sagging.

At least the split tailgate when opened like a side-by-side refrigerator is a much shorter, lighter door, therefor much less stress on the hinges. And obviously when in opened in side-by-side refrigerator door mode, less clearance is required behind the truck, and the less far the gate sticks out into the aisle in a parking lot as one loads their purchases into the bed.

runamuck

Reaction score
Could This Be The Split Tailgate Design, Or A New Tailgate With Steps?

View attachment 10493
2020 Ram 1500 New Tailgate Prototype. (Real Fast Fotography).

Almost a year ago, we showed you a patent that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) filed for a unique split tailgate design. This design in patent drawings showed a tailgate that features two handles and the split to be a 50/50 down the center. The plan also called for integrated ramps, that would slide out of the floor of the box.

i-PQSmJzt-XL.jpg

2019 Ram 1500 Split Tailgate Design. (KGP Photography).

In the mid-testing segment of FCA’s development of the 2019 Ram 1500, there was a prototype caught running around the FCA Auburn Hills, Michigan campus with a split tailgate design. This design was a tad different from the design patient. It included one handle in the center of the tailgate, compared to the two shown. It also featured more of a 60/40 split in the tailgate design, instead of both sides being able to open directly down the center. The tailgate was never seen again after those pictures were taken.

To see the rest of the article, click the link below...
https://5thgenrams.com/caught-2020-ram-1500-with-new-tailgate-design/

I hope they get alignment of the two pieces figured out.

runamuck

Reaction score
My opinion is that that is camo in it's own right. None of the patent drawings I have seen show that.

good idea. a little misdirection for the competition..make it look like the finished product and send the competitors all back to the drawing board.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Just shuffling through concept vehicle on allpar. Remember the Rampage?
https://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/dodge/rampage.html

It had the slide out and pivot down ramp tailgate design (which there is a patent for). And apparently the bumper pivoted down to expose an area to slide in 48" wide sheet material.

What a cool concept. Midsize length with full size width and interior space.

Also, cool idea for replaceing running boards. Apparently they were built into the door sills and would flip out after you opened the doors. This would keep components protected as well as not hinder offroad.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I agree. FCA and Ram are pretty good at coming up with functional/practical designs/features that maybe others have tried or thought of but not been real successful at. Two things that quickly come to mind are Ramboxes and etorque - both of which GM had versions of earlier (ramboxes on the avalanche and e-assist on the 5.3) that were not overly successful, but they used part of that idea,, improved upon it, and made it a competitive advantage.

I strongly believe this is going to be more than just a barn door hinging tailgate, and maybe not even that at all. Wonder if they will debut a concept at NAIAS to gauge feedback or wait till midyear to see how well the GMC multi-function tailgate is received.

Longhorn

Reaction score
just makes me glad I waited and didn't buy while all first year issues get worked and now for this pleasant surprise. What year would this debut and how much longer do I have to wait?

Users who are viewing this thread