5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAT scale trip

Johnvan

Reaction score
I used a CAT scale the other day using the "weigh my truck" APP. The process was very simple. I downloaded the APP right there, created an account and added my credit card info. The APP used the GPS to know which scale I was at. I left the scale number blank since there was only one scale at that location.
Driving on the scale is simple, it's clearly marked "do not enter" if you try to go in the wrong way. The spacing of the three scales should accommodate pretty much every travel trailer combination unless maybe if you're unusually short. It's easy to just lean out and see that each axle is where it needs to be.
Once in position you enter your truck and trailer number. I just put 111 and 001. Make up what you want. I hit the weigh button on the APP and it took about 15 seconds to give me the results. You'll receive an email with the scale ticket within a couple of minutes.
It cost $11.50. A reweigh is $2. That's where you'll need to use the truck /trailer numbers you previously made up.

My results were exactly as expected. My Laramie only has a payload of 1352 pounds. I have my family (600 lbs) plus in the bed a couple of bikes, generator and spare fuel adding another 200+ lbs. My Jayco 26BH has a dry tongue weight of 500 lbs and empty weight of 5000lbs. It was fully loaded for a two week trip with 15 gallons of fresh water. (filled using a digital meter, about $20 on Amazon. Highly recommend!)
I was over my GVWR by 160lbs which I fully expected. Air suspension achieved every height, no error messages.
I was mostly concerned about the rear axle weight. It came in at only 3880 lbs. Steer axle is 3400. Trailer axle 5580. GCVW 12840 lbs.
Happy with the results. I might go again on the way home and try with the WDH disconnected and also try the trailer on its own with the tongue jack on the rear axle scale. I don't need to make any changes but it'd be interesting to know how much weight the WDH is transferring and what the actual tongue and trailer weight is.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks very much for this info.

Okay, so just to get this right in my head.

You downloaded the app, loaded payment info and you had no interaction with a person at the scale location and you do not need to hit the button on the scale...just use the button on the app?

Thanks very much for the info @Johnvan, as this was exactly what I was researching to do, but hoped to get an experience from someone here.

Thanks.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Exactly. Did not need to hit the button or speak with anyone.
Only error I made was that after I had the scale results I advanced to the next screen without taking a screenshot or writing them down. I couldn't find them so I immediately clicked reweigh and paid the $2. Of course a minute later I received an email with the pdf results.
In hindsight, I should have ran out, disconnected the bars on the WDH and did a reweigh. Next, pulled a couple of feet forward so the tongue jack was on the rear axle scale. Completely disconnected and drove off the scale leaving the trailer by itself and do another reweigh.
You'd have enough info to calculate your truck weight with that.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have used the Weigh My Truck app a half dozen times. Super simple. Drive onto the scales and position your axles on the scale pads. Push the button in the app and BAM in a few seconds you get the weights in the app followed by an email with the weigh ticket attached. Then just drive off and continue on your way. No need to push the button on the scale itself or talk to anyone. Well worth the 11.50 price to know you’re safe or if you need to make adjustments.

jeffmc306

Reaction score
Johnvan, thanks for posting your experience at the scale! We’re picking up our new Airstream 27’ Globetrotter on Friday and will head to the scale on Saturday. I too am concerned about the payload and rear axle weight. If you’re interested I found a worksheet to help with the weighing process: https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/worksheets/step_1_conventional_ cat_scale.pdf

Happy Camping!

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Johnvan, I also thank you for the info :) I'm planning to hit a local scale this weekend or early next week. Still tweaking my setup and having the Air Lift bags installed...yet again...install #4 (3 bag/nozzle failures, argh). Appreciate the post!!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work messing around with apps and stuff. Just pull on the scale, hit the intercom, get weighed, go in pay and get the sheet. Done.
I don't use my phone to pay for anything.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Went to CAT scale today so that I can better plan future TT purchase.
I filled full tank of gas right near scales.
So about numbers, I was happy to see 100lb more of payload vs. what sticker shows.
GVWR - 7,100 lbs
Scale Weight - 5,820 lbs (including me)
Remaining Payload - 1,280 lbs
--------------------------------------------------
Payload sticker - 1,535 lbs;
All Add-ons in signature - 167 lbs estimated based on the shipping weight;
My weight - 185 lbs;
Remaining Payload Calculated - 1,183 lbs

Attachments

• 0504191635a.jpg
    0504191635a.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 0504191635.jpg
    0504191635.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_2019-05-04-15-53-16.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-04-15-53-16.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 34

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I loaded up my Heavy Duty with a bed full of wood I cut from trees that fell over the winter. Decided to go try out that APP at the CAT scale. Pulled up opened the APP, checked the scale number, hit accept on the app, it took my payment and bam, I had my weight. 20190530_230111.jpg

Came in under gross. Tonight was my son and wife's birthday and we celebrated their birthday at the sister in laws. She needed mulch and some gutter and a screen door. So right before I went to the scale I had 400lds of bagged mulch 2 other adults and my son in the truck. Guessing the passengers added about 450 lbs so I am guessing about 900 more lbs...which puts me up to 10700...truck didn't fall apart and handled like empty.

Sure do like my 392 Heavy Duty Hemi.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
I always just pull onto the scales at our local Coop grain elevator and I get a legal scale weight for free. Please stay out of the way of the semis!

Users who are viewing this thread