5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat-back vs muffler replacement

Rob3

Reaction score
I have looked all over at various muffler and exhaust threads....tone, drone, fitment etc. What I am interested in is the performance side (Hp/trq). Does the stock system with a less restrictive muffler see a performance gain? I have seen comments the 2019 stock exhaust set up is not too bad short of the muffler and resonators. If there is a performance gain how does it compare to a full cat-back? I know not all cat-backs are created equal (Borla vs. Ebay). I am just looking for a ballpark comparison to assist with my decision. Long term I will do cai and a few other things for a little more giddy up and go.

O' first post glad to be here....love my new Ram

Thanks All!
Rob

badzdad

Reaction score
After looking closely at the stock set up I decided the $1000+ for a full cat back wasn’t really worth it. The main points of restriction are the muffler and resonators. I opted for removing the stock muffler and replacing with a Magnaflow. I'm really, really happy with sound and performance since doing the swap. Are their small gains to be had ... sure. Are the gains worth $1000 to me, no. So start with a muffler swap and work back from there was my course of action. Between the muffler and install I have about $150 in. My install guy is super cheap thankfully. Everything is welded in and ready for the long haul.

hopVIP

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing the same. I'll start with a Carven muffler then if I want to change the sound start removing resonators if I have to. If Carvens full cat back is close to the same price as just the muffler I might get it all but for the price difference you mentioned staring with the muffler is the best way to go.

hopVIP

Reaction score
That's not a true dual exhaust but does look nice. Having two tips doesn't make it dual. That company does make very good axle back kits though.

Firebird

Reaction score
I just installed the 18” Magnaflow today, very happy so far

Users who are viewing this thread