5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carven, Etorq, No Fitment, Bad Cust Service

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wanted to shared this with you guys. Before I even get into the story, let me just summarize what I'm about to say:

The Carven catback isn't meant for the Etorque motor and might not fit without modification according to Carven.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ordered the Carven kit for my new Rebel from Moes and it didnt fit correctly. I haven't talked to Moes about this, but maybe they will read this because I'm not sure if they are aware of this either. And if they are, someone should add some kind of disclaimer to the website. Because if you just go to their website, it says "fits hemi trucks". (I'm not blaming Moes at all, I'm just trying to get information out)

I ended up having to go to a muffler shop, pay 175 dollars to have them put it on, it took them 3 hours and they had to bend and weld both tailpipe sides. And its still not even exactly right, I have to go back to fix the driver side again.

Now, nowhere along the way did it say anything about NOT fitting the etoqure motors. Maybe its just me, but if it says "Fits 5.7 Hemi V8" then I just assume it fits all of them. If it doesn't specifically state yes or no for etorque, why would you think it would NOT fit just because of a different charging system.

So I guess now anytime you buy something for one of these, you have to double check.

Below is the email exchange between me and Carven. IMO, they were borderline rude about it and didn't handle it correctly. They could have at least acknowledged the confusion and used the word "sorry" but instead they just talked to me like I'm some moron. Take a look for yourself....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don’t happen to have the Etorque model do you?
- Thank you

Carven Exhaust
Customer Service & Sales

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep I do

Sent from my iPhone

Thats why there may be a fitment issue, on the website its a 5.7 V8 hemi option.

Carven Exhaust
Customer Service & Sales

Well you guys might want to specify something about that on the website then if that’s the case. I’ve seen multiple other etorque trucks online with this kit and no one has mentioned this fitment issue.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the rebel vs other trims? Like the bumper could be a bit different, and the suspension could be slightly different as well (right around that track bar in the back since it comes with the OEM 1” lift or what not)

There is a dude on YouTube with a rebel that has this kit, and his fit fine. But unsure if he has etorque.

Sent from my iPhone

Sir, We just included a screen shot from our website that says the specifications. Also, the only selection we have for picking the product off of our website is the option for a 5.7 Hemi. The product does not fit the eco torque. included is another example.

-Thank you

Carven Exhaust
Customer Service & Sales

Alright thanks. I will be sharing this on the forums to let people know about my experience.

I would recommend adding a note that says “etorque model may require modification” or “does not for etorque” because it’s not very intuitive as it is now since it’s basically the same motor.

Sent from my iPhone

No response after that, but I mean thats pretty crappy service IMO. 700 dollar catback, doesn't fit because of lack of product description and then terrible customer service. I mean the "eco torque" as he called it IS INDEED a 5.7 Hemi V8 AMIRITE?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, I'm siding with Carven on this one... site specifically states 5.7, not 5.7 eTorque.
If I had an eTorque, I'd be calling to confirm fitment for anything I wanted to add to the engine/exhaust.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s sad but now with the 2019 Classic, you really have to ask several questions before hitting the buy button. I look closer now then ever before as to which exact vehicle / motor / body style these things fit. Really sorry OP that this happened to you as no one wants to absorb added costs upon purchase of something.

PorBoy

Reaction score
When I was shopping for exhausts, all it showed was not available for the Classic versions. I didn’t know there would be a difference between that and the etorque one. The gentleman who swapped exhaust with me has etorque and my Borla went on fine with him having such.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
When I was shopping for exhausts, all it showed was not available for the Classic versions. I didn’t know there would be a difference between that and the etorque one. The gentleman who swapped exhaust with me has etorque and my Borla went on fine with him having such.

I have a feeling the op was sent the wrong exhaust and they're blaming it on etroque...

I have trouble believing swapping the alternator for the MGU on the same engine would warrant a different exhaust.

Last edited:

RamMeToo

Reaction score
I bought the carven system in the group buy here on the forum and it fit perfect. I self installed and simply clamped it on in place of the factory system. I have the eTorque???

NYRAM

Reaction score
Weird I would have thought that the exhaust is the same on both e torque and the regular hemi. That wouldn’t have crossed my mind either. Glad I didn’t pull the trigger yet. I’m with you on this. Most companies specifies if their is a difference. How would you know.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, I'm siding with Carven on this one... site specifically states 5.7, not 5.7 eTorque.
If I had an eTorque, I'd be calling to confirm fitment for anything I wanted to add to the engine/exhaust.
I’m not so sure. Like @CouchAssault posted, I don’t know why eTorque makes any difference. And the OP has a 5.7L HEMI. It just happens to have a generator instead of an alternator. Are there ANY downstream differences that would affect exhaust placement?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are there ANY downstream differences that would affect exhaust placement?

I have no idea... I don't have an eTorque and have no reason to check but given the posted conversation, according to Carven, yes.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out exactly which exhaust I want to use. I use Moe's Performance for all my parts, on this truck and my 2014 Ram. I just called Matt at Moe's and he said there is no difference between etorque and non etorque when it comes to exhaust.

There may have been a problem with the kit from the mfg. The OP should have called Moe's about it before they took it to a exhaust shop. And how did a professional exhaust shop not get it right the first time...

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I didn’t have time for that, I created a day to work on it, it didn’t fit, I thought it was me so I went to the muffler shop (carven dealer btw).... and here we are.

Muffler shop said the kit was off by about 5-6 degrees. So they either had a bad jig or some sort of manufacturer issue, or they simply sent the wrong pipes. But likely the first as he said this more common than you would think with catbacks, not just Carven, not fitting correctly.

The way I see it, moes has nothing to do with this. Carven should pay for my install price to fix it. The end.

It’s pretty obvious that they saw a cheap way out and took it. How hard would it be to add a comment as I mentioned about it not fitting etorque models IF that is really the case?

I’m surprised to see so many people siding with them on this but I guess that’s the world now.

It’s really not about the money at the end of the day, it’s just the principle.
Treat customers well and run a stand up business.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Carven may have got confused and thought you had the Eco diesel. In one of their reply emails it does say eco.

I don't think that everybody is siding with them, just a lot of people commented that they didn't have this problem.

None of these kits fit 100% perfect, you have to play with them a little to get them to fit right. Especially when it comes to the mid pipes over the axles. You always have to move them around a little bit to get them to fit right. I usually buy borla and it's one of the most expensive kits on the market and it is one of the biggest pains to install.

PorBoy

Reaction score
My last two exhausts were Borla ( S Type & Touring ) both for the DT and fitment was spot on. Again OP I’m not siding with Carven, just saying what my experience was when swapping my exhaust to a DT with Etorque.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well mixing up etorque and ecodiesel would be very embarrassing if that’s the case.

DeanKing

Reaction score
Since the eTorque is standard on the V6, one could the take conversation to think that perhaps they felt you had a V6?? In the end, I didn't see the conversation as rude as much as typical automotive add on vendor service. That being said, based on the responses, I think they sent you a defective or wrong unit and are trying (intentionally or not) to throw some confusion in the mix by talking about eTorque.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That it would....

I’m most frustrated with their attitude and lack of actual concern about a bad product.

A good customer service rep would have said “I’m very sorry the confusion, I can see why it’s not obvious and I will talk to or team about specifying that’s it not for etorque models”

Chris

Reaction score
While I believe that you received either the wrong exhaust kit or a defective kit, I think the mistake you made was modifying that kit to fit. If you did not modify it, then you should have every right to return it for a full refund or replacement. However, going right to the exhaust shop and altering it so it could not be sold unfortunately shifts the onus to you.

Their customer service was poor, but it was more likely that you got someone who is familiar with an issue with ecodiesel exhausts, deals with that issue a lot, and jumped to that as the first most likely cause by not understanding that etorque is different. A call to Moe's, or maybe even talking to a different rep at Carven, could have saved you $175. If this is the case, I just hope that rep gets educated on the difference to reduce this headache for the next customer.

Edit: or the rep is confusing etorque with the v6 as DeanKing mentions.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand/agree with that, but they should acknowledge they messed up at a minimum. One of their owner dealers says it’s a bad kit, then ?????

Users who are viewing this thread