5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo light switch mod

jamesfg

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I figured out how to make the cargo light turn on via a toggle or rocker switch.

First is to figure out where you want to mount your switch. Go to your fav auto parts or electronics store and buy a switch that you like.

Remove driver side sill plate and peel back the carpet. Look thru the bundle of wires and find the white wire with a tan tracer. Cut that wire.
20180922_091635.jpg

Now add wire to both ends of your freshly cut white/tan wire to reach your switch mounting location. Mount your switch, connect the two extended wires and then ground the switch. Reassemble carpet and sill panel and you are done.

No error code on the dash and now I can control the cargo light to turn on when I want it to be on.

Last edited:

bvigne01

Reaction score
Is there not a way to turn on the cargo light without this? My 09 I was able to turn it on via a button under the headlight switch

jamesfg

Reaction score
I got the switch too but that cargo light comes on when you open any door.

drad5757

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I figured out how to make the cargo light turn on via a toggle or rocker switch.

First is to figure out where you want to mount your switch. Go to your fav auto parts or electronics store and buy a switch that you like.

Remove driver side sill plate and peel back the carpet. Look thru the bundle of wires and find the white wire with a tan tracer. Cut that wire.
View attachment 5114

Now add wire to both ends of your freshly cut white/tan wire to reach your switch mounting location. Mount your switch, connect the two extended wires and then ground the switch. Reassemble carpet and sill panel and you are done.

No error code on the dash and now I can control the cargo light to turn on when I want it to be on.
Do I understand correctly? When the toggle switch is on, the cargo light works normally. When the switch is off, it doesn't turn on at all?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
does this allow you to disable the cargo light from coming on when door open?

jamesfg

Reaction score
Do I understand correctly? When the toggle switch is on, the cargo light works normally. When the switch is off, it doesn't turn on at all?
Yeah I can turn the switch on and the light will operate like it did when it came from the factory. When the switch is off the cargo light will not turn on. To me that light is too fricking bright and causes undue attention.

MattF

Reaction score
You could just take the bulbs out:)

Users who are viewing this thread