5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carbon Filter Delete?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I’ve read up on the various CAI mods and have been watching and comparing, mostly for sound (for me). I’ve decided to watch and wait for now but I am swapping out the stock air filter with a Spectre drop-in.

I see that some people have deleted the carbon filter. My question is should I do that? Is it really that restrictive to either airflow or gain? Most threads I have read seem to say there isn’t a noticeable difference to either when removing the car in filter. If that’s the case then I’d rather leave it since it must be doing something, catching oil, emissions, etc.

Be curious to hear some thoughts.

Phoon

Reaction score
If you are in there to replace the stock filter with a drop in aftermarket, you may as well remove the carbon filter. Just the carbon on its own was not noticeable in my opinion, but with both the K and N and the filter delete it was just enough to get a touch more noise. Maybe a couple HP but nothing to get too excited about.

Phoon

Reaction score
The carbon filter is a part of the emissions control system, believe it not, and should be left intact. It will not impact the airflow much to make any measurable difference.
All emissions stuff is bad and should be removed post haste! lol.

Every single aftermarket intake system will not retain the carbon filter, it wont hurt anything to take it out.

Zinger

Reaction score
How long is the carbon filter expected to last? Lifetime? I find it hard to believe a panel of carbon can be effective for hundreds of thousands of miles of fuel vapor absorption. And if it is, how bad can the excess vapors really be? Check, the carbon filter in my refrigerator is only rated for a year and it's not absorbing gasoline...

KRField

Reaction score
@Dredram...did you really notice anything different???

Here is the “mod” with a K&N drop in and a borla muffler swap. The EVIC was .2 mpg on the positive from hand calculation. This was done on 384 mile round trip. 3/4 highway and 1/4 roughly back roads
Just for info Bighorn 4x4 6’4” bed 3:21 gear stock Goodyear’s
e9b5d20eb0a77e67fbb8302d011ed021.jpg

Before this with just Borla installed was 19-20 average.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your dropping a high flow filter of some sort, take it out. If your staying stock or in a heavy emissions regulated area I’d probably leave it alone.
If your feeling guilty by doing so, add a catch can. It will do most/ all of the job the filter was meant to do anyways. And add octane benefit down the long road.
There is a reason why many aftermarket air intake systems are not carb complaint.

Main reason for most part why is aftermarket intake systems dont have filter talked about in them, that the specific vehicle actually came with.
So again, that same manufacture of intakes can be carb complaint on 2017 Ram. But not a 2019
I know way over board, my apologies

Dredram

Reaction score
I did notice a boost in sound and mpg with the carbon delete and drop in afe. A bang for the buck mod $62.00

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I'm all for a "performance" air filter if the stock one is ready to be replaced. Paper filters can't be cleaned obviously, and the synthetic ones can be. That's really the only added benefit. No one in the world is going to notice an increase in performance by changing their air filter from a clean paper filter to a performance synthetic type.

I took the charcoal filter out because it was free. Once I feel it's time to replaced the air filter I will probably get a washable one just for convenience.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You will see more airflow through the new filter so there will be something gained but I agree that it, most likely, it wouldn't measure much on a dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread