5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you upgrade Uconnect 4 non Nav to Uconnect 4 NAV?

Oscarmusprime

Reaction score
Hi all, brand new Ram owner. First truck for me. I was looking into the Uconnect4 with Nav for the 8.4 screen. My new truck only comes with Uconnect4 non Nav 8.4 screen. Is it possible to upgrade? Im seeing alot of ppl talking about upgrading to the big screen the 12inch? thats to much for me lol... just the add features of the Uconnect4 Nav would be nice. i have 2019 1500 BigHorn. Does anyone have an suggestions on where to start? Thank you guys.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Not certain but may be as easy as paying for it and having the dealer turn it on and upgrade the maps. I'd call the dealer but I think it was possible on my 2015. Not cheap but probably doable.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I understand, it's a different module, display and bezel. Whatever the option cost to order on a new truck, double it at least.

Oscarmusprime

Reaction score
Thanks guys for helping. I was on Infotainment.com and chatted with a associate. They said there should be an Item coming out soon this summer for the All New Ram 1500 style. Right now they have Ram 1500 Classic only. From what i'm reading since the item is a different module, display and bezel just like you said "moosen". I guess it's just a waiting game now.....

jimijohn

Reaction score
I'd love to know if I could add NAV to my Uconnect. I'm completely confused about whether I can or can't do it... WT#!

Camper

Reaction score
You have to replace entire unit. I done that on my Dodge Journey, it came with 4.3 in display, swapped entire radio and screen, and voila I have navigation.
I planing to do the same on my RAM, it came with 8.4 in screen w/o Navigation.

Camper

Reaction score
I am not sure , when you use your phone for navigation,it using data or not. If not using data, then it okay, if does than it not good.
Plus some time Garmin software get bit better route then Google.

Oscarmusprime

Reaction score
I agree with Camper, i would love the option to have it without my phone if i can. Besides i really dont want to be using my data. Camper let us know when you start the project or get it done. would love to follow your step by step if you take pictures and show us instructions. i would like to get Uconnect with Navi

ChPeter

Reaction score
Camper, Oscarmusprime, you can just download an offline navigation (I’m using Here WeGo - originally developed by Nokia) from Here, get the maps you need and set it to offline mode. No data usage, still shows on the Uconnect screen :)

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If using Google maps, when setting your route, you do have the option to download the maps for the route so that it does not use data. It will still use data for traffic but it is minimal.

Monteman1971

Reaction score
The thing to remember is that the factory Nav and most apps don't do "truck route". Here in NY if your pulling a trailer you can't go on the Parkways with it so your Nav needs to know that and it's just not possible unless you have a nav that does that. Although my truck does have Nav and I can also plug in for any of the apps, I have a Garmin that does "truck route" for when I'm pulling my trailer.

Steve

Oscarmusprime

Reaction score
Camper, Oscarmusprime, you can just download an offline navigation (I’m using Here WeGo - originally developed by Nokia) from Here, get the maps you need and set it to offline mode. No data usage, still shows on the Uconnect screen :)
Hey thanks for the alternative. I downloaded for iPhone. How do we get it to show on screen? When I did plug in my iPhone it does connect to car play.... but it doesn’t show

cupcars

Reaction score
I recently used “Waze & Google maps” via Car Play (since I don’t have nav) on a 2000 mile trip. I have At&t, I used about 400 MB of data. I also noticed that when you receive/make a phone call, you loose the map on the truck screen.
I believe this problem maybe fixed in iOS 13 coming out soon.

KRField

Reaction score
I recently used “Waze & Google maps” via Car Play (since I don’t have nav) on a 2000 mile trip. I have At&t, I used about 400 MB of data. I also noticed that when you receive/make a phone call, you loose the map on the truck screen.

During the call just touch the map app on Uconnect and it will pop back up during the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cupcars

Reaction score
Thank you for the info! When I’m in car play, the home button and the app buttons on the left side of the screen do no always work. They will stretch when I touch them but sometimes they don’t work.

ChPeter

Reaction score
Oscarmusprime,

it’s my bad, Here WeGo isn’t enabled on CarPlay by Apple, it won’t show on the screen. I used to have an aftermarket HU in my other car, where I was just mirroring the screen, and it showed up there. Sorry for the false hope.

sjsleuth

Reaction score
I hit a button somewhere and the screen came right back while I was still on the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread