5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can You simple add 4WD Auto electric part to rebel w/ Elocker?

NJT3

Reaction score
Hi all, quick question can you simply have a dealer add the $195 4wd auto - (Electronic Shift-On-Demand Transfer-Case) at the dealership much like them popping in the $295 brake control?

Looking at a Rebel w/etorque & elocker

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. The rebel transfer case is the chain type where the auto one has clutches in it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

NJT3

Reaction score
Ok only asking because you can add it to a factory order for 2021's. And why wait for order right now.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, anyone who is doing serious off roading will want the full time 4wd transfer case.
I have seen where people have had issues with the auto t-case going into limp mode because it is overheating the clutches. Maybe they learned a few things with the one in the TRX though...who knows.

NJT3

Reaction score
I'm was looking to order a Rebel since that can get blindspot detection still instead of Laramie that can't so not worrying about serious off roading except simple campsite trails or fishing of a beach. In nj so the auto in winter mix weather good to have on. So again if simply dash part swap that will be fast than order sauce i have to have then pop on brake control as well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm was looking to order a Rebel since that can get blindspot detection still instead of Laramie that can't so not worrying about serious off roading except simple campsite trails or fishing of a beach. In nj so the auto in winter mix weather good to have on. So again if simply dash part swap that will be fast than order sauce i have to have then pop on brake control as well.
It is not the switch. It is a totally different transfer case. You have to get the other transfer case and the switch. It is not a 195 dollar switch. You have to order the truck with the auto transfer case.

The switch will not work in a truck with the part time transfer case

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s a different transfer case . It probably can be done but it would be expensive .

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I survived NY winters without 4wd auto - had it in my Silverado so was used to it - but did not have it in the Rebel. It really wasn't an issue - just throw it into 4wd if you feel you need the extra traction. I wouldn't let that deter me from getting the truck.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I survived NY winters without 4wd auto - had it in my Silverado so was used to it - but did not have it in the Rebel. It really wasn't an issue - just throw it into 4wd if you feel you need the extra traction. I wouldn't let that deter me from getting the truck.

Likewise, have survived all winters without it. My last 3 rams have had auto 4wd but to be honest I didn't like the feel of it (didn't like the unpredictability of it, I'd rather be in control, but I can see how it would be handy in certain situations). Although I'd much rather power slide around a little in 2wd and just put it in 4 high if I need it. Always have good all terrrains as well to aid in having fun/be able to get around.

Users who are viewing this thread