5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Uconnect Updates be Blocked?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did a half-hearted search and didn't find this specific topic, so someone feel free to point it out if I missed it.

Is there a way to block Uconnect from updating? I don't use it to its full ability, as I'm just not interested in some of those bells and whistles, though there are a couple of things I like better about the 12" Uconnect5 versus the 8.4" Uconnect4 I had. Anyway, for a couple of days at the end of last week I was receiving messages about an update being available. I was moving my in-laws, and was concerned about the short-term losing of access to certain features while the system learns how to walk again :p, so I elected to hold off on the update. Sure enough, the system decide to force its own update on me during one of the times I went to back my truck up to their new home - NO back-up camera! Plenty of other weird s*** going on with the dash lights and cluster, but the truck ran fine so I just ignored it all and got the job done.

I guess my point is, there should be a way to hold updates to a time that is convenient for the driver. I don't have wi-fi or bluetooth enabled (at least not intentionally), so I can only deduce that the system utilizes cell service, which is obviously around us at all times.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if blocking the rf hub or antenna for it would achieve this effect. This is something i’ll be looking at very closely when subscription based services come out for new vehicles in the future. The only sure fire way I can think of is by changing the code that calls out to check for updates, but we don’t advocate that here.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder if blocking the rf hub or antenna for it would achieve this effect. This is something i’ll be looking at very closely when subscription based services come out for new vehicles in the future. The only sure fire way I can think of is by changing the code that calls out to check for updates, but we don’t advocate that here.
C'mon - anyone with "Cat Herder" under their user name must have an answer! :ROFLMAO:

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Could try unplugging the cellular node/modem. Assuming it isn't soldered to the head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread