5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I replace 2021 Ram 1500 halogen headlamps with the LED version?

Knight.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and I just purchased my first truck 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Love the truck but the one thing that still bugs me is that it didn’t come with the LED lights, but they gave me a good price and worked with me so I bought it.

I wanted to know if the LED headlamps and tail lamps are plug n play and I can I just swap out the lamps or do I need to do some major work to get the LED’s to work?

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• E9FB2FB9-A61C-4DE1-9FF0-99D62A79DD03.jpeg
    E9FB2FB9-A61C-4DE1-9FF0-99D62A79DD03.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 116

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Not a lot of work you’ll just need an adaptor then they will be plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and I just purchased my first truck 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Love the truck but the one thing that still bugs me is that it didn’t come with the LED lights, but they gave me a good price and worked with me so I bought it.

I wanted to know if the LED headlamps and tail lamps are plug n play and I can I just swap out the lamps or do I need to do some major work to get the LED’s to work?

thanks in advance.
I think you've been given bad info here my friend, but I could be wrong. If I am not mistaken, the LED headlights are a totally different design and you may require a new grill and front facia to allow them to fit. The tail lights should be no problem.

Knight.

Reaction score
I think you've been given bad info here my friend, but I could be wrong. If I am not mistaken, the LED headlights are a totally different design and you may require a new grill and front facia to allow them to fit. The tail lights should be no problem.

I’ll check that out and compare pics. Would suck if I needed to replace other parts just for LED lamps. Thanks!

Ramjack

Reaction score
Just curious: I understand the benefit for headlights (brighter and whiter?) but what is the benefit for tail lights? Longer life?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you can upgrade to LED. You do need an adapter harness to make the headlights work. The tails are plug and play. The front fascia, etc. does not have to be changed. There are several posts about it on this forum.

DDBFC22C-4D14-4467-A959-EC2F1565DE16.jpeg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought the headlights and grill are different for the Limited, which are thinner or "squinty" in style. And that part of the grill actually extends into the headlight on the Limited?

But just as long as you get the LED lights for non-Limited models, that should be plug and play.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought the headlights and grill are different for the Limited, which are thinner or "squinty" in style. And that part of the grill actually extends into the headlight on the Limited?

But just as long as you get the LED lights for non-Limited models, that should be plug and play.
You are correct my friend as it relates to the Limited. However, it appears you can get the LED headlights in the lower grade trims as well. I assume they are MOPAR OEM and not aftermarket headlights?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are correct my friend as it relates to the Limited. However, it appears you can get the LED headlights in the lower grade trims as well. I assume they are MOPAR OEM and not aftermarket headlights?
Mine are OEM reflector LED headlights like those found on BigHorn, Laramie and Rebel. You are correct, the projector LEDs found on Limiteds and Longhorns will not work,

soljrgriffin

Reaction score

thanks in advance.
I have the same year and model truck... we're you able to change your headlights over to led and if you did, what was the process?

adamsmith8820

Reaction score
Yes, you can upgrade to LED. You do need an adapter harness to make the headlights work. The tails are plug and play. The front fascia, etc. does not have to be changed. There are several posts about it on this forum.

View attachment 97782
Not sure if you are still on here or not since its been a few years since you posted these pics. In the pic of your front head lights, it looks like the headlight assembly is different and you did not just change the halogen bulb to LED but changed the whole factory halogen reflector headlight assembly to the premium lighting LED projector headlight assembly?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if you are still on here or not since it’s been a few years since you posted these pics. In the pic of your front head lights, it looks like the headlight assembly is different and you did not just change the halogen bulb to LED but changed the whole factory halogen reflector headlight assembly to the premium lighting LED projector headlight assembly?
Yes, I am still here, and yes I swapped the halogen assemblies for OEM LED assemblies that come on Laramies and Rebels, etc. They are not projector LEDs like those found on Limiteds.

Last edited:

llegrand051922

Reaction score

thanks in advance.
I bought LED conversion lights on Amazon and swapped them for my 2024 Big Horn because I hated the halogens. They work great and are so bright. No issues. I have pics and can let u know what brand I got if u need broski. Lmk!

HDPilot103

Reaction score
I bought LED conversion lights on Amazon and swapped them for my 2024 Big Horn because I hated the halogens. They work great and are so bright. No issues. I have pics and can let u know what brand I got if u need broski. Lmk!
Hi, can you post up the pics and the lights you bought...I'm thinking about doing this as well, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread