5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping and light off roading in the Limited with 22s?

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
Getting the Limited in Night Edition, therefore the OFG is not an option, and the 22s are mandatory. I imagine as long as I don't do heavy offroading, and just going on trails and over hills with no big rocks, I should be okay? Or should I plan on switching tires asap? No MOABing, moreso finding trails to camp and shoot here in Arizona.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I immediately put Toyo Open Country A/T III 305/45R22 on my Limited to get better traction and try and protect my rims when driving on gravel forest roads when mountain biking.

BNeal

Reaction score
If it's mild terrain, you should be fine. But those stock tires will be your biggest limitation.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
3 out of 4 of my rims were scuffed within months of city driving so I don't imagine they will tolerate any rocks and come out looking decent still.
As mentioned above, I replaced with a 305 just to add some protection for the sidewalls.

Michael_D

Reaction score
The Pirelli's kind of suck for any type of dirt/mud traction drives. They are a true 'street' tire. The wheel size shouldn't be an issue though, as you can find plenty of AT tires in 22".

I had Toyo AT II's on my last truck. They were downright horrible with wet road traction, and dangerous on snow/ice. Are the AT 3's better? I was planning to go with BFG AT KO's this time, over the Toyo's.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
I put 305/45R22 Ridge Grapplers on my limited, it works great for camping and towing

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
The Pirelli's kind of suck for any type of dirt/mud traction drives. They are a true 'street' tire. The wheel size shouldn't be an issue though, as you can find plenty of AT tires in 22".

I had Toyo AT II's on my last truck. They were downright horrible with wet road traction, and dangerous on snow/ice. Are the AT 3's better? I was planning to go with BFG AT KO's this time, over the Toyo's.
Yeah, after almost sliding off the I10 this year in my Challengers street tires, I definitely want a quiet road tire that's good with rain, and decent with trails.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There aren't many places you can go off-road in AZ without encountering rocks...lots of rocks. Our terrain is pretty rocky too and I wasn't comfortable going off-road with the low profile 22's that came on my Night Edition Laramie, so my dealer offered to buy my wheels and tires. He gave me $1400 and installed my aftermarket 20's for me. You could ask your dealer if he will do the same for you.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
22 off road? The rubber bands wrapped around those will offer no protection of the wheels or forgiveness in uneven terrain. If you plan to off road, dress for it. Relatives have substantial rubber to them.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Sell those 22s on ebay and upgrade to 18" wheels and a decent set of AT tires. Way more sidewall on 18s, better protection and much more comfortable ride off road. 22s are for city slickers.
Well said.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting the Limited in Night Edition, therefore the OFG is not an option, and the 22s are mandatory. I imagine as long as I don't do heavy offroading, and just going on trails and over hills with no big rocks, I should be okay? Or should I plan on switching tires asap? No MOABing, moreso finding trails to camp and shoot here in Arizona.
I’m not happy that I have 20s and offroading! Need 18s.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I see big lifted trucks with big offsets and low profile tires….. Laughable!!!
I saw a Cheby on the road the other day that had rims way wider than the tread. The tiny sidewalls were angled out to meet the bead. I have no idea how he got those things to seat. I would think it would be hard with a Cheetah. Maybe he did it the old fashioned way, with starting fluid.

The only thing that could have made that truck look dumber would have been a Carolina lift.

Edit: By the way, pay attention to the rim fitment guide with the wheels you buy. 18s are great, I like the sidewall. Mine are a close fit though. I have had them balanced twice (free at Discount Tire) and both times, I had to turn around because the weights hit the calipers. The clearance is tight.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a Cheby on the road the other day that had rims way wider than the tread. The tiny sidewalls were angled out to meet the bead. I have no idea how he got those things to seat. I would think it would be hard with a Cheetah. Maybe he did it the old fashioned way, with starting fluid.

The only thing that could have made that truck look dumber would have been a Carolina lift.

Edit: By the way, pay attention to the rim fitment guide with the wheels you buy. 18s are great, I like the sidewall. Mine are a close fit though. I have had them balanced twice (free at Discount Tire) and both times, I had to turn around because the weights hit the calipers. The clearance is tight.
Yea I know exactly what you are talking about as far as room for sticky weights. On my past 3500 I had 17s that were not stock and had to use hammer on wheel weights because not enough room for the others. Also, not all rims will take hammer on weights. Mine were old stock hummer wheels that had the centers bored out that took hammer weights.

I do like lifted trucks for the ride height due to several creeks I have to cross on my land. Not so much for their highway manners, but can’t have it both ways.
I think most, if not all , the trucks with low profile tires (including the lifted trucks) never see off road.

Yea, don’t even get me started with squatted trucks!

Dewey

Reaction score
If you don’t like your 22’s and wanna trash them they’ll work great off road.

Users who are viewing this thread