5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camper to big?

Edsram2019

Reaction score
Hey,

I am curious on everyone's opinion on my next camper, I have a 2019 Big Horn, 3.21, coils, normal 5.7, timbrens, hellwig sway bar, equalizer WD hitch.

Wildwood xlite 273qbxl
Dry - 5956 / gvwr 7680

Or

Wildwood 30kqbss
Dry - 6943 / gvwr 9699

Both are 33 feet long.

Im assuming roughly 1,000 pounds of stuff in my current camper, thus either should be at 7,000 or 8,000 pounds loaded.

My payload is 1750, I only have the 3.21 so max tow weight is 8,200.

My family and cargo in truck (650 pounds ish) leaves me with 1,100 payload, the heavier camper at 13% tongue with extra 1,000 pounds added to its weight is around 1,000 on the tongue, so I'm just under max payload and tow numbers.

I guess my question is should I just stick to the lighter camper? Am I foolish for considering the larger? As stated earlier I do have the hellwig, timbrens, and wdh to help me with being so close to max.

Thanks!

Firebird

Reaction score
I would prefer towing both of those with a 2500. The 5.7 is a capable motor, but to me, the 1500 chassis is to light duty.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The good news is that your truck has a good payload number. You’ve done your calculations and expect to stay within that. You’ll also likely stay within your GCWR of 13900 if you load reasonably. The 5.7 and 3.21 should provide enough power.

My concern would be the length. 33+ feet of tall trailer is a lot for a half ton. Stability at highway speeds and the effect of wind can become an issue.

For me it would come down to how far, how fast and how often you plan to travel. Is your schedule flexible enough that you can stay put an extra day or two if weather conditions aren’t great? Are you planning weekend trips to local sites within a couple hundred miles or going cross country? Interstate speeds or rural highways? It all plays into the equation.

Edsram2019

Reaction score
I keep my trips short typically, just around Michigan and usually 2-4 hours away from home.

I was debating the entire 33 ft length too, my avenger is 29, so its definitely going to be longer if I upgrade.

NYNJ8

Reaction score
I just towed an Avenger 26BH (29ft total length) loaded to ~6500lbs and at near max payload on my 1500 Rebel 3.92. Wasn't a long trip, about 50 miles of interstate and 25 miles of country roads, WDH but no sway control. The powertrain handled the weight with ease, but honestly I wouldn't go much longer based on how much wind played a factor during my trip. Speeds ~65mph mostly fine but I could definitely feel the surface area of my rig in the wind.

I'm looking for a new travel trailer too and box length for me has to be under 30ft and ideally one more aerodynamic than the Avenger.

Edsram2019

Reaction score
I just towed an Avenger 26BH (29ft total length) loaded to ~6500lbs and at near max payload on my 1500 Rebel 3.92. Wasn't a long trip, about 50 miles of interstate and 25 miles of country roads, WDH but no sway control. The powertrain handled the weight with ease, but honestly I wouldn't go much longer based on how much wind played a factor during my trip. Speeds ~65mph mostly fine but I could definitely feel the surface area of my rig in the wind.

I'm looking for a new travel trailer too and box length for me has to be under 30ft and ideally one more aerodynamic than the Avenger.

I rarely have had issues with mine even with heavy winds. Many I've been lucky or maybe the rebels off road suspension allows for more play? My WDH has sway control so I'm sure that helps too. Michigan is not known for bad winds either.

I won't be upgrading. Long short the dealer pulled some surprise fees, they added $4,000 to the base price of the new camper when I asked for $4,000 more on trade in and tried to sneak it in at signing. I'll be keeping the avenger for another year.

Thanks for all tht advice, drive safe guys!

NYNJ8

Reaction score
Ah that sucks sorry to hear that. Sneaking in that much money at signing is pretty s%itty

Users who are viewing this thread