5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calling all FCA/Dealer employees! I want to turn off my DRL's!!!!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want the option to turn off my DRL'S like I could on my 16' and use the turn signals as my daytime markers.

Anyone else disappointed we lost the option? Any dealers or techs on the forum know if that can be changed? It should be able, since our American brothers and sisters have the option.

M

Mdegen93

I want the option to turn off my DRL'S like I could on my 16' and use the turn signals as my daytime markers.

Anyone else disappointed we lost the option? Any dealers or techs on the forum know if that can be changed? It should be able, since our American brothers and sisters have the option.
No kidding. I have Laramie and the led surrounds would be much nicer to just have on

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Down here in the lower 48, not all states require DRL’s , that’s why we have the option to turn them on or off

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Down here in the lower 48, not all states require DRL’s , that’s why we have the option to turn them on or off
My question and concern is why the change by FCA? Clearly the surrounds were enough last year and look better ta'boot, what gives?

Hoping a dealer or tech can chime in with good news... or a hack.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, OBD has a work-around programmer for this, but it sounds like US customers only. One fella on their site was a Canadian customer and said he ended up having his dealer change his DRL'S to the upper and lower stripes. Looks like another thing to look when it goes in for the windshield!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, OBD has a work-around programmer for this, but it sounds like US customers only. One fella on their site was a Canadian customer and said he ended up having his dealer change his DRL'S to the upper and lower stripes. Looks like another thing to look when it goes in for the windshield!

On US trucks they can be switched off in the settings menu.
Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003075 miles.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm praying a Canadian member that works in the industry or at a dealership can do some investigating because this is becoming ridiculous already. My go-to dealership refuses to attempt to reprogram my DRLs and says it can't be done on the 5th Gen Rams.
@96Dodge4x4 was trying to upload a software update for me, but he's been picked up by the mothership and hasn't responded in a few days.

@BobbiBigWheels , can you PLEASE enquire with your guys to see if its possible through the Witech system to reprogram them... I would be forever grateful with just a yes/no answer.

I mean, if OBD Genie can do it, why can't a certified shop?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm praying a Canadian member that works in the industry or at a dealership can do some investigating because this is becoming ridiculous already. My go-to dealership refuses to attempt to reprogram my DRLs and says it can't be done on the 5th Gen Rams.
@96Dodge4x4 was trying to upload a software update for me, but he's been picked up by the mothership and hasn't responded in a few days.

@BobbiBigWheels , can you PLEASE enquire with your guys to see if its possible through the Witech system to reprogram them... I would be forever grateful with just a yes/no answer.

I mean, if OBD Genie can do it, why can't a certified shop?

The U.S. versions can be defeatured and that's how I have mine set.

If it's a law in Canada an FCA dealer probably won't do it even if it's possible. If it is a law, will the vehicle pass inspection if they are not working?

Good luck in your pursuit.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004706 miles.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
The U.S. versions can be defeatured and that's how I have mine set.

If it's a law in Canada an FCA dealer probably won't do it even if it's possible. If it is a law, will the vehicle pass inspection if they are not working?

Good luck in your pursuit.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004706 miles.

What the heck are DRLs?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The upper and lower stripes are considered the equivalent to a DRL under the current guidelines. That's what is shown in the Ram commercials and that's what I want. We don't have a silly inspection process, a new vehicle is assumed safe and road worthy from the dealers lot.

I just need confirmation that my dealers shop foreman is being lazy and doesn't want my business. If an after market product can adjust how the headlights function, surely the dealers equipment should be able. You're telling me they can update the amp on HK equiped trucks, tune shift points on electronic shift transmissions but can't work around headlights? I find that laughable.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Hey Vader, I've been talking with my tuner who's extremely knowledgeable about Ram trucks, he fixed the crappy tune in my 2500....anywhoos we were talking last night about resetting my TPS pressures in the computer and fixing my speedo calibration. Said that the way Ram set the trucks up that the dealerships cannot get into the computer to address my issues. So I called him about your DRL dilema and he said that too is a non accessable parameter for the dealerships. Your gonna need your PIN # and find someone up there who can get into the system. Sorry I'm the bearer of bad news but ya know I don't post bs or speculations.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your investigation, bro! I just wanted a yes/no that didn't come from my dealer who says no constantly to anything slightly out of the box.

Now we know.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I leave mine off, since the LED strips looks so good by themselves.
They are muted though, so not as bright as other vehicles where the LEDs double as DRLs, and therefore have to be retina-searing bright.

IMG_4452.jpeg IMG_4454.jpeg

flynn_lives

Reaction score
Worked at the plant that produced these last year, the LED light guides are "signature lights" and were never made to be tested or ran as DRL. The low beam in the mid tier and high tier lamps were to be on for Canada market as DRL as it's mandatory. The "signature lights" are not bright enough to be considered a true DRL function as you see on other vehicles, and were never tested as such before production began.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Worked at the plant that produced these last year, the LED light guides are "signature lights" and were never made to be tested or ran as DRL. The low beam in the mid tier and high tier lamps were to be on for Canada market as DRL as it's mandatory. The "signature lights" are not bright enough to be considered a true DRL function as you see on other vehicles, and were never tested as such before production began.
Right. They are 'accent' lights. Not DRLs. I love the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online