5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calling all Diamond Black Crystal Owners!!

MidnightRonin

Reaction score
If I missed this info on a search I do apologize ahead of time. The YouTube videos and opinions are endless, however, what are you guys using to keep our gorgeous black crystal rams as scratch/swirl free as possible. I know avoid the automatic washes with the spinning sandpaper and other basics. I'm more after, clay bar, wax, polish, brand, etc.....thanks for all ahead of time!

Brrryan

Reaction score
Your best defense against scratches/swirls will be proper washing/drying techniques. Read into the two and three-bucket methods with grit guards, then safe drying techniques. While ceramic coating will help, there really aren’t any miracle products to prevent damage after you get your paint corrected to a spot you’re happy with.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I decided shortly after purchasing mine that I was going to ceramic coat it. I took 3 days to do paint correction, polishing, decontaminating and applying gtechniq CSL. For my general washing technique I use the two bucket method only. Haven’t taken it through any car washes. Still looking into adding a sealant such as P&S beadmaker but haven’t made the purchase yet. FE750FC7-B525-4BDA-BB18-BFBC464E6E85.jpeg

MidnightRonin

Reaction score
My biggest regret was not applying a ceramic coat! I've been looking into the two bucket method! And that sir, is one gorgeous looking truck!

lawlavigne

Reaction score
I haven't done any type of two or three bucket methods. My usual routine is a rinse with the pressure washer then a foam cannon coating using McGuire's Gold class car wash. I use 4 microfiber gloves that I have soaking in a water bucket that I use to wash while the foam is dripping. 1 for each side of truck, 1 for hood and grill, and one for top and tailgate. Then I rinse with pressure washer and use a blower to help with the drying process before using drying towels. I follow it up with a ceramic detail spray Tec582. It's good on it's own but even better as a keep up with a ceramic coating.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not overly delicate with it but I do avoid automatic car washes, hand wash every 1-2 weeks and I wax it with Migiaurs Ultimate a few times a year. No scratches a almost no swirl marks after 20,000 miles

MidnightRonin

Reaction score
I haven't done any type of two or three bucket methods. My usual routine is a rinse with the pressure washer then a foam cannon coating using McGuire's Gold class car wash. I use 4 microfiber gloves that I have soaking in a water bucket that I use to wash while the foam is dripping. 1 for each side of truck, 1 for hood and grill, and one for top and tailgate. Then I rinse with pressure washer and use a blower to help with the drying process before using drying towels. I follow it up with a ceramic detail spray Tec582. It's good on it's own but even better as a keep up with a ceramic coating.

I've been exploring the foam cannons.....there is just so much out there to include the buffing machines and such.....the research is endless lol

MidnightRonin

Reaction score
I'm not overly delicate with it but I do avoid automatic car washes, hand wash every 1-2 weeks and I wax it with Migiaurs Ultimate a few times a year. No scratches a almost no swirl marks after 20,000 miles

No scratches and almost no swirls after 20k miles is definitely a product statement!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is what I use too , you can even apply it in direct sunlight .

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No swirl and marring here. About 10k miles. I'm always changing up my technique depending on the weather and time of year, but recently it's a good power wash, throw Wolfgang uber rimseless concentrate into bucket, put in about 10 microfibers and let them soak. Then use the towels to lightly wash top to the bottom, leaving the bottom panels for last. I then have a spray bottle with the mix of Uber rinseless and carpro reload (kind of like a detail spray) and use that as a pre dry agent. Considering I don't have rain and don't get any heavy dust on the truck, I'll maintain the truck with that detail spray maybe up to two weeks. I have recently moved to the turtle wax spray ceramic line with fantastic results and get about 3 months of good beading with one treatment. Carpro reload seems to play well with the turtle wax spray so it is a good maintainer.

Rinseless or waterless wash freak some people out but if it's done right, you won't be adding possible contamination any more than if you did the two bucket method. Just make sure to have plenty of microfiber towels on hand!

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely want to do a polish (light compound) regardless of if you don’t think you have swirls or not, especially with black paint. It will make your paint mirror-like. My preferred method is clay bar, polish, paint sealant, then whichever wax/top coat product you like for ease of use and shine. I do this twice a year. In between, I just do maintenance washes and Adam’s h2o guard and gloss as a drying aid on everything. I use Adams line for everything and have had great results. I’m not on the ceramic coating hype train since I enjoy detailing. To me, ceramic coating is something meant for someone who wants their paint protected, but then don’t want to touch it for a while. True Ceramic coating doesn’t bond with itself after it’s applied, so you can't spot correct anything if you get a scratch etc. you’d have to take it all off. So for me, I enjoy the detailing process and use different products to get the same good looking and protected end result! Detailing is truly an art and I’m still learning a ton

Attachments

• C894CD41-C964-415B-AB29-6497D58034E5.jpeg
    C894CD41-C964-415B-AB29-6497D58034E5.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 8F616308-C940-4385-BCA5-711DC45EA53D.jpeg
    8F616308-C940-4385-BCA5-711DC45EA53D.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 7776639D-ED28-44BE-BD2B-99BD836E8C22.jpeg
    7776639D-ED28-44BE-BD2B-99BD836E8C22.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 37BD4934-0C81-4D3D-B903-92D47990FF7F.jpeg
    37BD4934-0C81-4D3D-B903-92D47990FF7F.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 5AC3EF98-958D-4DC1-AE4A-24072B645E7D.jpeg
    5AC3EF98-958D-4DC1-AE4A-24072B645E7D.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Definitely want to do a polish (light compound) regardless of if you don’t think you have swirls or not, especially with black paint. It will make your paint mirror-like. My preferred method is clay bar, polish, paint sealant, then whichever wax/top coat product you like for ease of use and shine. I do this twice a year. In between, I just do maintenance washes and Adam’s h2o guard and gloss as a drying aid on everything. I use Adams line for everything and have had great results. I’m not on the ceramic coating hype train since I enjoy detailing. To me, ceramic coating is something meant for someone who wants their paint protected, but then don’t want to touch it for a while. True Ceramic coating doesn’t bond with itself after it’s applied, so you can spot correct anything if you get a scratch etc. you’d have to take it all off. So for me, I enjoy the detailing process and use different products to get the same good looking and protected end result! Detailing a truly an art and I’m still learning a ton
Looks great.

jugshead00

Reaction score
What did you use to tint your tail lights? Or are those factory for blackout package?
The dealer sprayed the tail lights for me before I picked it up. They sprayed them on the inside of the lens

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Use your wash mit in straight lines, not circular motion. Wash in the direction as the wind sweeps your truck as you drive (if that makes sense). And don't let your 6'6" 320 pound buddy lean against the side of your dirty truck with his hunting jacket on...doh!! haha

Truckguy

Reaction score
To add to all the great advice you all should look into the new turtle wax seal and shine as a protectant with their spray wax or their ceramic spray wax. Many YouTube videos on them. They have made a huge turn around. The seal and shine is like p&s bead maker but lasts longer.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To add to all the great advice you all should look into the new turtle wax seal and shine as a protectant with their spray wax or their ceramic spray wax. Many YouTube videos on them. They have made a huge turn around. The seal and shine is like p&s bead maker but lasts longer.
Really?? I honestly always just want to laugh whenever I hear turtle wax products being brought up but I should definitely give them a second look!! Lol I’ve been seeing members talking about this product a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/