5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Call for FAQ Authors from our awesome site members

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As we can all appreciate, this site is chock full of great information, but at times it can get buried amongst our continued dialogue (which is lively and great!). To help distill out the best information, and the best posts, we would like to request the help of any and all interested members to make this site better...one great way is to become the author of a “FAQ” or a Frequently Asked Question list, with answers offered in a brief but well organized manner. If you prefer, you can also create a "Tutorial" or How-To on commonly asked about tasks. Thank you to member @GATORB8 for this terrific idea.

I’ll leave this thread open for comment for a bit to see what folks think, and listen for ideas for topics. If you see a topic you are knowledgable on, consider typing up your thoughts in the below FAQ format and share it!

Though it takes a little time to organize our knowledge, it’s pretty easy! I would offer the following as a template for you to start with, in order to keep our FAQs easy to find, sort through, and read. If you build a FAQ and you would like us to review it, and potentially sticky it, just contact @Jared B or any a mod (listed under Members -> Staff). We may need to request (or make) changes for clarity, so please be open to this sort of feedback. Successful FAQ Authors will be rewarded with the eternal gratitude and respect from this great community, plus the feeling that you made the world a better place for your fellow truck owners.

FAQ Authoring Guide:

Step 1: Choose the topic you want to address, and the forum area it belongs in. Search for existing threads on the topic so you can link to them. If mods can help by combining or moving threads please let us know.
Step 2: Start your thread in the selected area.
Step 3: Choose a clear, unambiguous thread title in the following format “FAQ: Descriptive Title of System/Subsystem/Topic”
Step 4: Type up your FAQ post in the following format, and post!

—-
Introduction: Short introduction describing the coverage of your FAQ.

Q1: Write out each question here. The top questions should be the most common ones; later questions can cover more obscure topics.

A1: Briefly answer the question, and include links to other site posts whenever necessary to keep this post short. If including photos, only hang the thumbnail size; if folks need the picture they can can click to zoom. If including links to this website please bold and underline it manually, as this is not automatic.

Q# A#... Repeat as necessary, and let the mods know when you think it is sticky worthy. Please accept constructive feedback if they offer it to enhance the post and the site.
—-

Happy Authoring 5thGenRams members!

Last edited:

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
I'd like to help, but as I sit here thinking about it, we need frequent questions that have known correct answers. Otherwise it is just re-posting forum discussions. I'm thinking of my own example, my brakes squeal aweful when going in reverse when the truck is cold. I contacted RamCares about this just today and gave them my VIN number. They responded a few hours later giving a star case number that would work for my vehicle to replace the front brakes, but they are working on another for the rear brakes. I just can't put that in a FAQ because it could be different based on your truck build date, packages, etc. I'll look for fully answered questions to help out. If you can think of any, I'll gladly research and put together a FAQ for it based on your format above.

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to help, but as I sit here thinking about it, we need frequent questions that have known correct answers. Otherwise it is just re-posting forum discussions. I'm thinking of my own example, my breaks squeal aweful when going in reverse when the truck is cold. I contacted RamCares about this just today and gave them my VIN number. They responded a few hours later giving a star case number that would work for my vehicle to replace the front breaks, but they are working on another for the rear breaks. I just can't put that in a FAQ because it could be different based on your truck build date, packages, etc. I'll look for fully answered questions to help out. If you can think of any, I'll gladly research and put together a FAQ for it based on your format above.
Awesome point, gotta have sound answers for our FAQs... but this is what we continue to collect each day on the site, so it will always be a work in progress. An author needs to offer sound “answers” but there will be times when we have to be satisfied with “the best we know currently”. It’s ok to acknowledge gaps in our knowledge as long as we continue to question, and correct, as we go.

I assume you’ve found the posts that emphasize getting the brake pads with the big gaps in them to eliminate the squealing? If not, then we’ve just illustrated the need for a Brake Squeal FAQ already, in the TSBs Maintenance and Warranty Issues” section, even though none of us have all the answers.

It’ll definitely be a team effort, but this is a great group of folks to crowd source good knowledge from!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We mods will likely have some fun with this, but we simply don’t have enough time to cover the vastness of all the topics (plus @Jared B doesn’t pay us NEARLY enough, plus you guys are smarter than us on SO MANY topics). If you are wondering what this looks like, or how easy it can be... example follows... plagiarizing this one is authorized!

—-
FAQ: Brake Squealing

Intro: Some owners are experiencing loud squealing from their brakes; this FAQ offers information and recommendations to fix the issue.

Q1: My brakes are squealing loudly, what can I do on my own to fix it?
A1: Some recommend “bedding in” the brakes (link goes here to post).

Q2: What can I ask the service department to do?
A2: Note any TSBs here, with links. Have a passenger record a video with audio. Request the brake pads with the big gaps in them. (hand thumbnail of pad pictures here).

Q3: What if new/different pads don’t fix it?
A3: Turn or resurface rotors? Further inspections? I don’t know, need more smart people here! ;) And that’s why I’m not doing this one...

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Strongly suggest making the FAQ it's own section so it is easily found.

GATORB8

Reaction score
Strongly suggest making the FAQ it's own section so it is easily found.
The advantage the sticky method gets is that you can catch the poster as he's about to start the thread (if they at least try to put it in a corresponding section).

For example, we put a FAQ in the Tires & Wheels subforum listing what fits with what lifts, and there is a greater chance it's seen when someone goes there to start a thread about the largest tires they can fit.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The advantage the sticky method gets is that you can catch the poster as he's about to start the thread (if they at least try to put it in a corresponding section).

For example, we put a FAQ in the Tires & Wheels subforum listing what fits with what lifts, and there is a greater chance it's seen when someone goes there to start a thread about the largest tires they can fit.

Speak of said thread, I was the one who started that thread but my knowledge is limited. If someone with more experience would like to jump in, that would be helpful.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You all know that the natural evolution of this effort will be our very own 5th Gen Wiki. Just saying.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great idea guys! So many repetitive questions that could be answered with FAQs.

Users who are viewing this thread