5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA Legal 5.7 Headers?

guitarjesus

Reaction score
These trucks have been out a few years now, does any company make headers that are CA legal?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In case you can't find CARB legal headers for you truck, if you bought your truck new, you won't need to do a smog test until the 8th year of ownership. After that, the smog test is just a OBDII connection test and a visually inspection to make sure you have your cats, and that the rest of the emissions equipment wasn't removed or bypassed.

How picky they are about headers depends on the shop.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
In case you can't find CARB legal headers for you truck, if you bought your truck new, you won't need to do a smog test until the 8th year of ownership. After that, the smog test is just a OBDII connection test and a visually inspection to make sure you have your cats, and that the rest of the emissions equipment wasn't removed or bypassed.

How picky they are about headers depends on the shop.
Very true. I bought my truck used, a 2019, bought in Feb this year. I thought it was six years before smog testing from date of first registration when new?

Edit: it appears youbare right. Now for the hard part, getting someone to ship me non-CARB headers to California, lol. Thank god for Arizona cousins.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very true. I bought my truck used, a 2019, bought in Feb this year. I thought it was six years before smog testing from date of first registration when new?

It's 8 years from new for the original owner.

However, if sold in or after 4 years, it will require a change of ownership smog check. After that, it's every other year.

I think you should be fine, because it didn't get to 4 years before you bought it, I think you are good for the full 8 years, based on initial registration date. Note that these dates are for gasoline engine vehicles, diesels have a more strict timeline.

guitarjesus

Reaction score

Ryno

Reaction score
Looking at the EO order, while it may not be specific on there, it only goes to the 2017 model year, so I'm guessing only the Classic 1500, not the DT is what these apply to.
You’re right, I never actually looked at the actual order, just where Summit said it was CARB approved.

Users who are viewing this thread