5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burning smell when using 120v outlet

jmullin5

Reaction score
While tailgating over the weekend, we decided to plug in a crockpot in the 120V outlet for the drive over. Ending us smelling a electrical burning smell after a few mins. It went away after we unplugged.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that should be ok assuming the crockpot was under 400W right? Am I missing something else here?

Really hope I didnt hurt my new truck. :(

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most crock pots have a high 250w and low 70w heat setting. i believe the plug is rated at 400w/13 amps so the crock pot should not be the burning electrial scent culprit. did you take the pot out and plug it in a household outlet to see if you smelled anything?

does the outlet still operate?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really hope I didnt hurt my new truck.
The power inverter has an overload protection build in according to the owners manual.
"If the power rating of 400 Watts is exceeded, the power inverter shuts down. Once the electrical device has been removed from the outlet the inverter should reset."

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Ha I did the same thing going to a 4th of July party and it fried my wife’s crockpot. Boy she was mad at me.

Tom488

Reaction score
Most crock pots have a high 250w and low 70w heat setting. i believe the plug is rated at 400w/13 amps so the crock
No... the inverter output is rated at 400W, so at a nominal 120V, that's only 3.33A, not 13. 13A would require over 1,500W.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The receptacle is probably rated at least for 13 amps, could be for 15.
Would be nice to be able to upgrade the inverter to 1200 watts or so (off the grid camping etc)
Not sure if the alternator can handle the load thou...

jmullin5

Reaction score
Ha I did the same thing going to a 4th of July party and it fried my wife’s crockpot. Boy she was mad at me.

So you fried the crockpot using the outlet in the ram? Am hoping the smell was the crockpot and not the truck.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
So you fried the crockpot using the outlet in the ram? Am hoping the smell was the crockpot and not the truck.
Yup fried it!!! I think it happened when I shut the truck off . It seemed to be working good while the truck was running.

jmullin5

Reaction score
Yup fried it!!! I think it happened when I shut the truck off . It seemed to be working good while the truck was running.

Damn that sucks. In my case, it was my wife's idea so i think I'm off the hook if ours is busted too!

Users who are viewing this thread