5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the 2019's too fast causing quality issues ?

yellowboy

Reaction score
Since this truck seems to be selling well I'm wondering if FCA is building them too fast. Seeing posts about mismatched parts, loose bolts, missing options, etc. is cause for concern. I realize a new model (as well as a few years old model) will have issues but some of the things I see on here is interesting to say the least. Is there more than 1 plant that builds these ? How many are built a day ? Curios if anyone that builds them can chime in here.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like my truck, but I've definitely had a few issues. I feel like I am beta testing this truck for FCA, and I fully intend on using the warranty

Conch007

Reaction score
I really like my truck, but I've definitely had a few issues. I feel like I am beta testing this truck for FCA, and I fully intend on using the warranty
I know the feeling 3 weeks since I dropped it off for service I still have not got it back in a functioning manner. Supposed to have an update Monday at noon

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a couple of warranty issues, but am super happy with my truck now that they have been resolved. Biggest issue is that the service departments don't know much about these new trucks. Love the information available in this forum and my '19 Limited.

frankismint

Reaction score
3 months with the truck. Friday build in late December. FML.

-When I first got it I had a screeching noise through the window seals when driving around 70mph or above. The window gaskets on both sides looked like an 8 year old installed them. Straightened them out with no issue, noise is 99 percent gone.

-On occasion, the backup camera looks grainy and has a thin green line on the bottom of screen.. After letting the car sit for a while it goes away and is clear. This happens about 3 times within the 3 months. Crystal clear all other times.

-I also have the slightest ticking noise from the headliner / rubber piece near the drivers window. More noticeable in cold weather. Supper annoying that it is about 3 inches away from my ear. Pressing on the area makes it stop for a few minutes. Not really an issue if the radio is on, but when you are looking for peace and quiet it is noticeable.

-Body panel indentation in rear of bed, between the gas tank door and the rear lights . Noticed this on my truck at delivery and about 3 or 4 others on the lot. Sound proofing seam on inside of the panel created the slightest crease. Paintless dent removal guy removed this within minutes by removing the rear light and using his tool to fix. Fun times spending $125 on a sloppy factory work. I actually pointed the same defect to another 2019 Ram owner this weekend. He didn't even notice it on his 2 month old truck. LOL. End result, my PDR guy got another customer.

-2 open recalls that I know about (break pedals and power steering). Don't care, will address at my first oil change.

-Temperature is wildly off when letting truck sit in direct sun. Once I start driving around the best it gets is within 6 or 7 degrees of the actual temperature. Hoping it is an easy fix since the sensor is in the driver side mirror. Not a huge issue, but is annoying when it registers high and prevents the heated seat and wheel from starting in cold weather. Will address at my first oil change.

-Parking sensors randomly go off for a brief second when nothing is in it's path, my 2014 and 2016 Big Horns both did this too. Happens roughly once a week for a brief second or two... My truck is clean and so are the sensors. Go figure.

-And my favorite, just like my previous truck a 2016 Crew Cab, I get a transmission clunk when rolling to a stop and the 8 speed goes from 2nd to 1st gear. Oddly enough my 2016 started this a few months before I handed my lease in. A ton of post on this topic.... It appears that it is a common problem and a characteristic of the 8 speed transmission. Doesn't do it every stop, but does it enough to take notice.

I have zero, and I mean zero faith in my local dealership, and will have them just do my oil changes and recall work as necessary.

I do enjoy the truck, but they have balls of steel to let these issues, many of which are know to roll off the assembly line.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a warranty. How can they make it right if you won't let them? The other side of this is that if none of this is reported to the manufacturer, why wouldn't they count your truck as one without any issues?

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I agree, bad quality. I will let warranty take care of it as it cone but I document as needed incase it falls under lemon law, and there it goes back.

frankismint

Reaction score
There is a warranty. How can they make it right if you won't let them? The other side of this is that if none of this is reported to the manufacturer, why wouldn't they count your truck as one without any issues?

Why?.. My service department can't handle a basic oil change. Unless the issue is horrible, and they usually are not, I would prefer them not to even touch my truck.

Here are a few of my last encounters with the service department:

1) I make the first appointment for an oil change every time the light comes on. They tell me it will take an hour or so. I have never gotten out of there in less than 4 hours. I have also left and asked that they call me when it's ready. I usually get the call around 4:00pm (8 plus hours later) and when I go to the dealer, the truck is still not ready.

2) My 2016 the left headlight was shaking when I rode on rough roads. Brought it in on a Friday morning, and told them I need the car back by Monday as I am going on vacation and using the truck. "No problem, we see this all the time, the truck will be ready in a few hours". Fast forward 8 hours later, they can't get the bad light to turn on and broke something preventing it from going back in. Somehow the other headlight would not go on either. The mechanic was probing every wire he could find and reading the service manual. Had to leave the truck there, and rent a car for my road trip. They got the truck back to me on Wednesday, and it sat there for a week until I returned. Bonus.. Scratch on the bumper

3) Paid for a tire rotation during my last oil change. Got my truck and noticed they forgot to perform the rotation. My rear tires had a lot more wear than my fronts. Asked the service advisor why the rotation was not performed. He tells me that it was and he saw the mechanic do it. After some back and forth, I show him my rear tires and how the thread depth is much lower than the front tires. I compared that to the printout that they give you when you drive into the garage and check your thread depth electronically. (which confirmed they did not rotate the tires). He apologizes and says he must have done another grey truck. He gets the mechanic on the phone (who left for the day) asks him if he performed the rotation and he said no. No apology, he has another mechanic do the rotation.

4) My back up cam on my last truck failed a few weeks before my lease was due. Brought it in and they changed it out. The new one was grainy and the screen would turn blue after a few seconds.

5) My emergency break cable was stretched and bowed on my 2014. Brought it in, got the truck back several hours later and it still drooping and about 5 inches from the pavement. They fixed it after complaining and waiting an additional hour in the waiting room.

Newguy

Reaction score
3 months with the truck. Friday build in late December. FML.

-When I first got it I had a screeching noise through the window seals when driving around 70mph or above. The window gaskets on both sides looked like an 8 year old installed them. Straightened them out with no issue, noise is 99 percent gone.

-On occasion, the backup camera looks grainy and has a thin green line on the bottom of screen.. After letting the car sit for a while it goes away and is clear. This happens about 3 times within the 3 months. Crystal clear all other times.

-I also have the slightest ticking noise from the headliner / rubber piece near the drivers window. More noticeable in cold weather. Supper annoying that it is about 3 inches away from my ear. Pressing on the area makes it stop for a few minutes. Not really an issue if the radio is on, but when you are looking for peace and quiet it is noticeable.

-Body panel indentation in rear of bed, between the gas tank door and the rear lights . Noticed this on my truck at delivery and about 3 or 4 others on the lot. Sound proofing seam on inside of the panel created the slightest crease. Paintless dent removal guy removed this within minutes by removing the rear light and using his tool to fix. Fun times spending $125 on a sloppy factory work. I actually pointed the same defect to another 2019 Ram owner this weekend. He didn't even notice it on his 2 month old truck. LOL. End result, my PDR guy got another customer.

-2 open recalls that I know about (break pedals and power steering). Don't care, will address at my first oil change.

-Temperature is wildly off when letting truck sit in direct sun. Once I start driving around the best it gets is within 6 or 7 degrees of the actual temperature. Hoping it is an easy fix since the sensor is in the driver side mirror. Not a huge issue, but is annoying when it registers high and prevents the heated seat and wheel from starting in cold weather. Will address at my first oil change.

-Parking sensors randomly go off for a brief second when nothing is in it's path, my 2014 and 2016 Big Horns both did this too. Happens roughly once a week for a brief second or two... My truck is clean and so are the sensors. Go figure.

-And my favorite, just like my previous truck a 2016 Crew Cab, I get a transmission clunk when rolling to a stop and the 8 speed goes from 2nd to 1st gear. Oddly enough my 2016 started this a few months before I handed my lease in. A ton of post on this topic.... It appears that it is a common problem and a characteristic of the 8 speed transmission. Doesn't do it every stop, but does it enough to take notice.

I have zero, and I mean zero faith in my local dealership, and will have them just do my oil changes and recall work as necessary.

I do enjoy the truck, but they have balls of steel to let these issues, many of which are know to roll off the assembly line.
I took a picture and video of the backup camera issue I had similar to yours and showed the dealer and they replaced and fixed. The wouldn't do this for you?

dsn112

Reaction score
Add my incorrect gauge cluster to them flying through builds. Wierdest mistake I have ever seen.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a week, I finally got my truck back from the dealer last Friday. Everything seems good, all of my issues have been addressed, everything’s working great.

However, it did pick up a ding in the passenger front door while it was there, so I had to drop it back off Monday morning for PDR.

They gave me a loaner. I dropped my truck off first thing in the morning and picked it up at the end of the day. Looks perfect.

I am officially back in love with my truck! It’s an absolute pleasure to drive. I really enjoy it! Nice, nice truck. You just cannot beat the way these trucks drive. Period.

It’s unfortunate that I have had to deal with a few minor problems that could have easily been avoided by better QC.

That said, six or seven years from now, if the worst thing that happens is that I had to have a few annoying quality issues fixed under warranty, I can live with that.

frankismint

Reaction score
I took a picture and video of the backup camera issue I had similar to yours and showed the dealer and they replaced and fixed. The wouldn't do this for you?

Never asked. It only did it a few times. From past experience my dealer replaced the camera on my 2016 and it was always grainy after the fix. Their response , "it's within spec"

Users who are viewing this thread