5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bridgestone dueller hl in snow

jkratze1

Reaction score
How are these stock tires in snow? Winter is coming and I am looking forward to testing the 4wd in the snow.

BMXDAD

Reaction score
I’m not holding my breath, I don’t think they will be very good. I have them as well, for now until I can upgrade.

shawnz28

Reaction score
Got our first bit of snow and slick roads today. And definitely was not impressed with them. My 16 GMC all terrain seemed pretty polar opposite from my very limited experience thus far.

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
They are OK in little to moderate snow. Nothing compared to a duratrac or BFG KO2. My wife ran them for three winters on her GMC Acadia AWD and they were fine for her jumping around town, but we always took my truck with Duratracs when heading out of town or in heavy snow.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a question that I still have. It has been cold, but not much snow. I'm not holding my breath that these will be very good. I may replace them with something that's better in snow, but I need tires that are more highway oriented than AT.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I'm wondering how well they will do too. I had Michelin LTX M/S2's on my 2010 Silverado. They were some of the best tires I have ever owned, and they did well in the light snow we typically get in south Central AR. Earlier this year I put Defender LTX's on my wife's JGC. Hoping they are as good as the M/S2's.

2019Bhorn

Reaction score
I just changed mine out.. Amazon had a good deal on falkin wildpeak atw3, so I bought a set. They had great reviews for the money..

2019Bhorn

Reaction score
275 60 20, I was trying to unload a photo, but keeps telling me file to large

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
This is a question that I still have. It has been cold, but not much snow. I'm not holding my breath that these will be very good. I may replace them with something that's better in snow, but I need tires that are more highway oriented than AT.

The Michelin LTX will be a great highway tire that still preforms well in the snow.

I'm wondering how well they will do too. I had Michelin LTX M/S2's on my 2010 Silverado. They were some of the best tires I have ever owned, and they did well in the light snow we typically get in south Central AR. Earlier this year I put Defender LTX's on my wife's JGC. Hoping they are as good as the M/S2's.

They will not be as good as the Michelin LTX MS tires. These are what my wife runs now on her Escalade and they are pretty awesome.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had the Michelin LTX M/S and LTX M/S2s on my old Tahoe and they did well in the snow. Both of those have been replaced by the Defender LTX and the tread pattern looks familiar. I also had Michelin Premiere LTX on the AWD Mercedes and they did pretty well too (but tread life sucked).

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had the Michelin LTX M/S and LTX M/S2s on my old Tahoe and they did well in the snow. Both of those have been replaced by the Defender LTX and the tread pattern looks familiar. I also had Michelin Premiere LTX on the AWD Mercedes and they did pretty well too (but tread life sucked).

Yeah, that's what I found too. I'm still a "Michelin man", but I will say that I had some trouble with getting some good Defender LTX tires for my wife's Jeep earlier this year. I've never had trouble with Michelins before, but of the original set that I had ordered (through a local Firestone/Bridgestone dealership) were bad - 3 of the 4 were what I would call "out of round" and could not be balanced properly. They would zero on the balancer, but rode terribly and vibrated constantly. You could physically see the tire not being round when it was spinning on the balancer. I wound up getting Michelin to replace the tires with a new set. I was told that a road-force balance would probably fix it, but that wasn't an option where I live - no one around here has one of those machines.

That said, the current set of tires on the Jeep are doing fine. No further problems. The tread design looks pretty much identical to the M/S2's, and I'm happy with them so far.

Searching on TireRack.com, however, I see that both Defender LTX and LTX M/S2 tires are available for our trucks - at least in the 20" size. If these Bridgestones don't cut the mustard, I may be forced to order a set of Michelins. ;)

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are the Defenders on wifey's Jeep LTX or passenger tires? In the reviews I've read, they're like 2 completely different animals.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Are the Defenders on wifey's Jeep LTX or passenger tires? In the reviews I've read, they're like 2 completely different animals.

They are the Defender LTX - 265/60/18's. I wanted the same thing I had on my Silverado, since they did so well, and as was mentioned earlier this is supposedly the replacement for them - though M/S2's are still listed on places like TireRack.com.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool. I use TireRack.com as a resource since they do have some interesting road tests on popular tires, sometimes including winter handling tests. Too bad they don't have one on the Defender LTX...yet.

RAMROME

Reaction score
I had them out in snow and ice upstate NY, they spin like crazy in 2wd when giving it a little gas, but not to bad when turning. Of all the things they give option for - why not tires. Who wants car highway tires on a truck!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That depends on the truck and what you plan to do with it. My truck will rarely go offroad and I want tires optimized for the road. Granted, they'll be LTX tires and not 'car tires'. OEM tires usually suck.

Users who are viewing this thread