5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new tire ruined

Barnyard

Reaction score
I noticed this today. I don't recall hitting any large potholes or curbs. Any chance this is a defect? Haven't even made my first payment, this sucks...
Going back to the dealer Friday to get my bedliner sprayed, any chance they'll help me out?
1f25b4a614b044a20ef00e1b939fcd64.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Take it back to the dealership. It looks like a belt separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barnyard

Reaction score
Take it back to the dealership. It looks like a belt separation.

That's what I'm thinking too. Just hope I don't have to drop the cash for a new tire, that's money better spent on something else!

whetrick1

Reaction score
Is it a Goodyear tire. If so you can try taking it to a Goodyear authorized dealer and they should be able to do something about it if the dealership won't.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
No belts in the sidewall. Looks like an open splice or busted cords. You do appear to have some scuffing in that area so possible you hit something but no rim damage. Swing by a tire dealer and ask them to take a quick look and offer an opinion. Then head to the dealer to request warranty replacement.

Barnyard

Reaction score
Is it a Goodyear tire. If so you can try taking it to a Goodyear authorized dealer and they should be able to do something about if the dealership won't.

Good idea, thanks!

whetrick1

Reaction score
That looks like more of a scrub mark on the sidewall. That shouldn't of made it bulge out like that. I've hit some nice size potholes and never have had that problem.

Barnyard

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll head to a Goodyear dealer in the morning, hopefully for some good news

Barnyard

Reaction score
I stopped by a Goodyear dealer this morning, and the guy said he normally sees some rippling where the layers overlap, but this is a bit more than that. He suggested deferring to the dealer, but if they give me a hard time, that he'll reach out and see what he can do.
I had a brief conversation with my salesman, and he asked if I purchased a tire protection plan, which I did not. He said to show it to the service guy when I go in Friday to get my bedliner, but he's not confident they'll be able to do anything since I declined the tire warranty.
Guess we'll see how it goes. (Fingers crossed)

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Goodyear wrangler HP tires on my prior Ram and all four of them did this. I got 2 free and 2 prorated based on the treadwear left on the tire and I took it to Discount Tire. Best of luck to you that it gets replaced for free and possibly they offer to swap out the whole set for a better tire.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer may not cover it but the tire manufacturer should under their warranty. They may want to prorate it based on use, but it should be covered as a defect in manufacturing.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, you have taken that wheel and tire off the truck, right? I sure wouldn't be driving on it. I'd just go to a tire dealer and swap it out regardless of who's paying. The tire is only a couple hundred dollars or so.

Barnyard

Reaction score
It's around ~$260 + mount, balance, and tax. A bit too steep for me at the moment, since my daughter got married last month.
I did move the tire to the rear. I know that's not ideal, but better than the front. I thought about putting the spare on, but I'm not too keen on running different size tires. I may still do that before I make the 70 mile trek to the dealer Friday.
I honestly appreciate the concern, thanks!

Vic

Reaction score
...right there next to the date on the tire too.
Good luck.

GoMango16

Reaction score
What size is your spare. If it is the same, swap it out and use it for a spare....

REBEL 2.0

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter if you’re spare is 18’’ as long as the overall diameter is similar. I would rather look a little goofy miss matched than have that sucker unravel at hi way speed

Barnyard

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter if you’re spare is 18’’ as long as the overall diameter is similar. I would rather look a little goofy miss matched than have that sucker unravel at hi way speed
Yeah, I know. I believe there's a slight height difference between the 22's, and the 18 " spare, and I just feel like that's bad for the truck over long distances, I could be wrong though. I've been monitoring the bulge, and it looks exactly the same as it did Tuesday.
Heading to the dealer tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get it resolved.
Side note, I bought a takeoff tire on eBay, and it'll be here tomorrow, so even if they don't fix me up, I'll have a less expensive than new tire, and if they do take care of it, I'll have a backup.
I know, I'm nuts, just couldn't justify dropping $300 to replace a tire that was 4 weeks old

Last edited:

Barnyard

Reaction score
Well, it took a couple weeks, but they filed a claim with Goodyear, and the new tire came in yesterday. Got it put on this morning, so all is well. Hopefully it won't happen again, or I'll be looking to replace all 4. Never have been a fan of Goodyear tires anyway.

eskiv80

Reaction score
I'm glad to see they resolved it for you!

I have never had good luck with Goodyear tires. My 2015 express had Goodyear SRA i believe. Had a flat that could not be repaired around 20k. Replaced them with general grabber AT 2s with no issue for the next 40k until I traded it. My sisters all had '15, '16 and '17 big horns with the same Goodyear SRAs and all three trucks started getting flats are 20k miles too. I was glad to see my Laramie had Bridgestone duelers from the factory instead. Guess I'll see if they last longer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread