5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring Cat Back

esquare

Reaction score
I just put the Borla Touring Cat Back Exhaust on my 2019 and man does is sound good. I can't imagine what the S-Type and ATAK sound like. My first thoughts when driving it were that I might have to add the resonator as you can really hear it even with the windows up. Going to give it a while to see if it tones down like I've heard some say then make a decision on the resonator.

raygun9

Reaction score
This is interesting because I was about to buy the S type. Got any videos for us to hear it?

esquare

Reaction score
This is interesting because I was about to buy the S type. Got any videos for us to hear it?
I tried to upload a video but couldn't figure out how. I used a decibel meter app on my phone and the highest reading on got with stock on cold start was 83, the touring came in at 93 at loudest. I listened to as many internet clips as I could and was leaning towards the S Type but went Touring and am glad I did. My son was taking a shower yesterday when I started it and he said it was loud. So far, the neighbors I have asked have said they love it so maybe it will be alright. I can definitely hear it in the cab during stop and go driving but haven't done any highway yet.

I would say if it is your daily driver and you live in a subdivision and don't want to be "that guy" you may want to look at the touring.

raygun9

Reaction score
I tried to upload a video but couldn't figure out how. I used a decibel meter app on my phone and the highest reading on got with stock on cold start was 83, the touring came in at 93 at loudest. I listened to as many internet clips as I could and was leaning towards the S Type but went Touring and am glad I did. My son was taking a shower yesterday when I started it and he said it was loud. So far, the neighbors I have asked have said they love it so maybe it will be alright. I can definitely hear it in the cab during stop and go driving but haven't done any highway yet.

I would say if it is your daily driver and you live in a subdivision and don't want to be "that guy" you may want to look at the touring.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks.

esquare

Reaction score
You're welcome, the problem with these exhausts is volume is very subjective and what seems loud to me might be quiet to the next guy. I have never had an aftermarket exhaust like this so I may not be the best guage

Louhound88

Reaction score
I have the S type and no stock resonators. It was definitely louder than any videos made it seem. Mostly because videos just can't convey how loud things are without comparison.

But for me I like it. Was first leaning Touring then went up to the S type as I wanted it to be loud, but not as raspy as the Atak. Now I think i'd prefer the Atak as I want more rasp and pops lol.

But for me it has a loud cold start, gets loud under hard acceleration, but is also really laid back and quiet when cruising. Even when stop and go driving I can keep it reasonable if easing into the accelerator. Basically driving with the flow of everyone around me and not driving hard. I have no drone when switching to eco mode, and do have an occasional pop when going from eco back to full cylinders.

But I'd give it some time. You'll get used to the volume of it pretty quick and get a good feel for how to keep it tame and how to wake it up when you want to. Wide open throttle shifts are the best. And being able to cruise at highway speed with a quiet unassuming exhaust, only to step on it and surprise the cars around you. Is actually pretty fun to do.

esquare

Reaction score
I have the S type and no stock resonators. It was definitely louder than any videos made it seem. Mostly because videos just can't convey how loud things are without comparison.

But for me I like it. Was first leaning Touring then went up to the S type as I wanted it to be loud, but not as raspy as the Atak. Now I think i'd prefer the Atak as I want more rasp and pops lol.

But for me it has a loud cold start, gets loud under hard acceleration, but is also really laid back and quiet when cruising. Even when stop and go driving I can keep it reasonable if easing into the accelerator. Basically driving with the flow of everyone around me and not driving hard. I have no drone when switching to eco mode, and do have an occasional pop when going from eco back to full cylinders.

But I'd give it some time. You'll get used to the volume of it pretty quick and get a good feel for how to keep it tame and how to wake it up when you want to. Wide open throttle shifts are the best. And being able to cruise at highway speed with a quiet unassuming exhaust, only to step on it and surprise the cars around you. Is actually pretty fun to do.
Lol, yep, stepping on it definitely wakes it up

esquare

Reaction score
Ok, now that I have had it for a while I no longer feel it's too loud. I love the deep rumble and am very happy with it. I have been thinking about adding the Mopar Ram Airflow intake and am wondering how that will effect the whole sound, if at all. Has anybody done both the Borla Touring Cat Back and the Mopar Ram Airflow?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The louder the exhaust the less an air intake would sound.

I can't hear my intake over my Borla Atak.

Generally people get exhausts to make the truck sound better\louder

S type and Touring are 2 different sounds are would be consider mild to moderate, Atak is loud.
Putting in resonators makes it not as loud.

I would think it's unlikely you would noise any sound changing your air intake unless you were running a stock exhaust which you can hardly hear.

esquare

Reaction score
The louder the exhaust the less an air intake would sound.

I can't hear my intake over my Borla Atak.

Generally people get exhausts to make the truck sound better\louder

S type and Touring are 2 different sounds are would be consider mild to moderate, Atak is loud.
Putting in resonators makes it not as loud.

I would think it's unlikely you would noise any sound changing your air intake unless you were running a stock exhaust which you can hardly hear.
Thanks for the response, I really love the touring sound and don't want it to change if I add the Ram Airflow

raygun9

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I really love the touring sound and don't want it to change if I add the Ram Airflow
Keep us posted here if you do the intake. Ive been debating it myself before exhaust since its cheaper, but if it doesnt make a huge difference w the exhaust I wouldnt bother.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

esquare

Reaction score
Keep us posted here if you do the intake. Ive been debating it myself before exhaust since its cheaper, but if it doesnt make a huge difference w the exhaust I wouldnt bother.

I'm looking into tuners now to see if it makes sense to do that with the new exhaust and possibly new intake. Trying to figure out what is entailed with tuners and what would need to be done for dealer visits.

Smellyram

Reaction score
I have the borla s-type with a k@n cold air intake it sounds great not that loud driving down the road unless you get on it ordered some kooks headers also should be here soon and with that I’m worried it might be to loud

esquare

Reaction score
I have the borla s-type it sounds great not that loud driving down the road unless you get on it ordered some kooks headers also should be here soon and with that I’m worried it might be to loud
You can always put the resonator on if the headers make it too loud

Smellyram

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about it also I’ll see how it sounds first i dont want the windows up and I can’t hear the radio not in my 20s anymore

esquare

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about it also I’ll see how it sounds first i dont want the windows up and I can’t hear the radio not in my 20s anymore
Lol, my same thoughts when I added my Touring Cat Back. Heck, I'm not even in my 40's anymore

esquare

Reaction score
Lol I’m almost to my 40s i just want my truck to sound good and preform better
I agree, I've been thinking about the Mopar Ram Airflow intake. I don't think I'm up for a header swap on my daily driver

Smellyram

Reaction score
I agree, I've been thinking about the Mopar Ram Airflow intake. I don't think I'm up for a header swap on my daily driver
She not my daily driver which is nice won’t hurt to have more air flow I got a little better on gas mileage with my k@n

raygun9

Reaction score
I had JBA shoties on my Gen4.. loved the sound and the small bump in torque but Im pretty sure towards the end there were pinhole leaks in the welds.

Users who are viewing this thread