5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla optional muffler

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the optional resonator muffler when using the attak or s type exhaust system? how much did it take off the sound?

Shmannion13

Reaction score
Also wondering. Love the sound of the atak But leaning toward the s-type because I kinda like my neighbors and I get up at 530am. I just hope I don’t regret it

popcenator

Reaction score
Also wondering. Love the sound of the atak But leaning toward the s-type because I kinda like my neighbors and I get up at 530am. I just hope I don’t regret it
The S-Type is the loudest exhaust I've heard in person on any truck. It's also the best sounding exhaust I've heard on any truck. I had a true dual setup on my 2012 and its much louder than that. It sounds great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Medgas24

Reaction score
I have the Atak on my truck and it’s a mean MF but it’s real loud when it starts in the driveway it’ll rattle the house and the noise dampening system in the truck doesn’t help at all if you want a loud exhaust but not loud on the inside of the cab. I don’t regret getting it!

Reaction score
Your neighbors will hate you for the 1 minute idle down with the S-Type at 5:30am either way. I love it. Can't help with the resonator sorry.

popcenator

Reaction score
I just installed the resonator on my Rebel with the S-Type this morning. It takes quite a bit of bite off the interior noise at all throttle positions. It does quiet it down a little overall, but the main effect is that it doesn't sound so intense when driving around before it warms up. It still has that great Borla tone, just tamed a little. It's hard to describe, and I haven't cold started it yet as the truck was still a little warm when I started and drove it after the install. If you think the S-Type or whatever level you have is a bit much, I definitely suggest the resonator. I was close to putting the stock exhaust back on after initially getting the S-Type, but I did get used to it even though the cold starts were still a little much for me. With the resonator installed, it's a more ideal setup for daily driving and early morning starts I would imagine.

Nibis

Reaction score
I just installed the resonator on my Rebel with the S-Type this morning. It takes quite a bit of bite off the interior noise at all throttle positions. It does quiet it down a little overall, but the main effect is that it doesn't sound so intense when driving around before it warms up. It still has that great Borla tone, just tamed a little. It's hard to describe, and I haven't cold started it yet as the truck was still a little warm when I started and drove it after the install. If you think the S-Type or whatever level you have is a bit much, I definitely suggest the resonator. I was close to putting the stock exhaust back on after initially getting the S-Type, but I did get used to it even though the cold starts were still a little much for me. With the resonator installed, it's a more ideal setup for daily driving and early morning starts I would imagine.
So how's the cold start, I'm leaning towards the Touring

popcenator

Reaction score
So how's the cold start, I'm leaning towards the Touring
The cold starts are a little better than it was without the resonator, but it will still probably seem loud if you're coming from the stock system. I'm happy with everything now, I can deal with the cold start being a little on the loud side now because the system has the exact tone I wanted, and that's the only part of the experience that's a little over the top IMO. Of course, if I didn't live close to anyone or my truck wasn't pointed toward anyone I would be fine with it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The cold starts are a little better than it was without the resonator, but it will still probably seem loud if you're coming from the stock system. I'm happy with everything now, I can deal with the cold start being a little on the loud side now because the system has the exact tone I wanted, and that's the only part of the experience that's a little over the top IMO. Of course, if I didn't live close to anyone or my truck wasn't pointed toward anyone I would be fine with it.

Audio clips always appreciated! ;)

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the optional resonator muffler when using the attak or s type exhaust system? how much did it take off the sound?
I am about to install a Borla resonator on my Borla ATAK system-Ram Rebel 2019, 5.7ltr.

I do love the sound but just needs a little dampening in my opinion. Will let you know how it sounds.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
Anyone leave stock res in the pipe after the collector AND add the Borla resonator? Or, just install like Borla recommends and cut the stock resonator out. Also, I guess this only applies to 2019 that have the extra pre-catback res.

Am I right to think the 2020/21 years only have a straight pipe pre-cat?

Last edited:

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
Anyone leave stock res in the pipe after the collector AND add the Borla resonator? Or, just install like Borla recommends and cut the stock resonator out. Also, I guess this only applies to 2019 that have the extra pre-catback res.

Am I right to think the 2020/21 years only have a straight pipe pre-cat?
That is exactly what I have. Stock resonator on stock pipe, added a Borla (universal) resonator to the Borla ATAK system. It does quieten the system down but only by approx. 15% as my rough estimate. It is still pretty loud but am starting to get usto it. The issue is at specific rpm's.

75-80kph in 8th gear it is almost silent in a cruise.

120kph at 2,100rpm it is clearly heard and quite frikin annoying.

At 140kph, 2300rpm, you can still hear it but is not so obvious.

I think perhaps the best thing is to play around with the stock exhaust and make small adjustments until you get the sound you want.

Perferred exhaust note is a very subjective subject. However, it must be said that if you are light on the gas pedal in city/town traffic and always keep to the lower gears it sound fantastic. Always grumbling away with a few growls under acceleration. I love it!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Heisrizn

Reaction score
That is exactly what I have. Stock resonator on stock pipe, added a Borla (universal) resonator to the Borla ATAK system. It does quieten the system down but only by approx. 15% as my rough estimate. It is still pretty loud but am starting to get usto it. The issue is at specific rpm's.

75-80kph in 8th gear it is almost silent in a cruise.

120kph at 2,100rpm it is clearly heard and quite frikin annoying.

At 140kph, 2300rpm, you can still hear it but is not so obvious.

I think perhaps the best thing is to play around with the stock exhaust and make small adjustments until you get the sound you want.

Perferred exhaust note is a very subjective subject. However, it must be said that if you are light on the gas pedal in city/town traffic and always keep to the lower gears it sound fantastic. Always grumbling away with a few growls under acceleration. I love it!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I'm not sure I understand.

Did you cut the factory resonator out of the connecting pipe pre Cat-back and install the Borla, or did you leave the factory resonator and ADD the Borla to tat pipe?

Or did you not even have a factory resonator and just install the Borla.

Seems like the 2019 has the Pre Cat-back res and the 2020&2021 don't?

Do you have any pictures of the res installed?

Thx!

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Borla arrived today. Now I just need my truck🤪

Nibis

Reaction score
Mine came stock without a resonator, I added the borla resonator, but swap it it for the straight pipe every now and then

Users who are viewing this thread