5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BorgWarner 48-11 - chain or clutch pack

neeginan

Reaction score
A simple question that the internet and Dr Google cannot seem to provide a clear answer to.

Does the 48-11 use a chain instead of a clutch pack like the 44-44?

Found this statement that makes it sound like both the 48-11 and 48-12 use a chain.

The heart of the Ram 1500’s four-wheel-drive system is one of two electronically controlled BorgWarner transfer cases. The BorgWarner 48-12 offers part-time 4WD operation with 2-Hi, 4-Hi, and 4-Lo settings, and the BorgWarner 48-11 offers on-demand 4WD operation with 4Auto, 2-Hi, 4-Hi, and 4-Lo settings. The 4Auto set-it-and-forget-it setting provides full-time 4WD, which functions automatically to provide maximum traction in all road conditions. New for 2019, both transfer cases have a larger-diameter mainshaft and the chain and sprocket have been relocated for improved bearing support and improved lubrication. Also, the 48-11’s 4Auto on-demand system is enhanced for quicker response and higher front output torque capacity. Each transfer case is engaged via easy-to-use push-button controls, and each has a low-range ratio of 2.64:1, which helps create increased low-speed torque capability off-road.

neeginan

Reaction score
Well I found a site that talks about improved clutch control, so I guess it is still a clutch pack for the 48-11. so it seems.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Yes it is a clutch, here is a thread on the subject with some great videos that @AnthonyD1978 made

RT Molinari

Reaction score
Well I found a site that talks about improved clutch control, so I guess it is still a clutch pack for the 48-11. so it seems.
Yup, this is copied from the BW website, "The heart of BorgWarner’s new EMOD transfer case is a motor-driven rotational cam mechanism which provides both robust clutch control and range shift function. The active clutch actuation technology delivers higher torque output, linear clutch response and pre-emptive clutch locking torque with zero rear wheel spin. For hill parking, the system offers the capability to hold front/rear locking torque when the ignition is off. In addition, the EMOD transfer case is equipped with BorgWarner’s HY-VO® driveline chain, optimized for high efficiency and durable performance."

Users who are viewing this thread