5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bolt on no cut exhaust options???

BarnacleBrown

Reaction score
For all of us that lease our trucks, but still want to enjoy hearing the Hemi eat it for the next 3 years. Is there a no-cut bolt on exhaust option that isn't a full system? I'd like a little more bark when my 22 factor order comes in, but I'd rather not spend the $1k plus on a full Borla etc cat back system for only possibly 3 years of use.

puba08

Reaction score
Isn’t a muffler considered maintenance? It’s like replacing tires or wipers? I don’t think a dealer would care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NRitland2

Reaction score
I only know of 1 cut and clamp muffler options. Lots of choices between 150-300. Easy job and will give you the bark you are looking for

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just buy a Borla system, use it for 3 years, and sell it when you're done with it. You'll get probably 1/2, if not more than half of your money back when you sell it.

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
Carven and Flowmaster are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. They do require a cut to install but can still pretty easily be put back to stock at an exhaust shop in 3 years. I can get you a discount on either of those if you choose to go that route, just shoot me a PM.

BarnacleBrown

Reaction score
Carven and Flowmaster are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. They do require a cut to install but can still pretty easily be put back to stock at an exhaust shop in 3 years. I can get you a discount on either of those if you choose to go that route, just shoot me a PM.
I love the sound of the Carven and the FM 40 sounds nice as well. Out of the 3 vehicles I've leased 2 Rams and a Cherokee the dealer has always bought out the lease and I've never been scrutinized on the condition if the car. With that said I also keep my vehicles in as good of condition as possible. Do dealers give people a hard time for aftermarket exhausts? It's a little different than putting tint or LED bulbs in etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Klicht87

Reaction score
I love the sound of the Carven and the FM 40 sounds nice as well. Out of the 3 vehicles I've leased 2 Rams and a Cherokee the dealer has always bought out the lease and I've never been scrutinized on the condition if the car. With that said I also keep my vehicles in as good of condition as possible. Do dealers give people a hard time for aftermarket exhausts? It's a little different than putting tint or LED bulbs in etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I had issues when I returned a vehicle with HIDs on a subaru back in the day. Never been told anything about window tint. As a previous post mentioned, someone would probably buy a catback exhaust for half-price so you wouldn't be out too much.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
Why not go with Mopar exhaust or the GT exhaust? both bolt on, both are Mopar products and both will only be appreciated by future owners.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I agree with others, I think any of the catback systems will be bolt on. I have a Borla S type and didn't need to cut.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Beware of the Carven. Massive drone if you don’t run ANC. Especially when MDS kicks in.
Most one cut muffler replacements leave enough tube for a shop to weld back the original muffler. I wouldn’t hesitate to do a one cut muffler replacement on. A leased vehicle.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you disable ANC? I've read about people disabling it when adding an aftermarket subwoofer, but I have no interest in doing that. Are there any other reasons to do that?

I can speak first hand about the two Carven mufflers, (oval and round). There is no drone with the oval muffler, but there is some with the round more aggressive system. This is with ANC active.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah I never got any ether. One reason I’ve been running them for 7 years now. Compared to others the drone is negligible for how aggressive they sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsutard1

Reaction score
Why would you disable ANC? I've read about people disabling it when adding an aftermarket subwoofer, but I have no interest in doing that. Are there any other reasons to do that?

I can speak first hand about the two Carven mufflers, (oval and round). There is no drone with the oval muffler, but there is some with the round more aggressive system. This is with ANC active.
Some trucks have a thumping sound created by the ANC system going haywire. One way to stop it is to disable the ANC.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I haven't looked at any threads with owners complaining about the thumping. Thanks for the update.

puba08

Reaction score
I have the carven cut and clamp. IMO it sounds nothing like the YouTube clips. It’s very quiet. I regret getting it. I’m going to delete all of the resonators (all 3) as a last chance option.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No, there is no non-full cat-back system that won't require a cut.

Also, the only reason why you should spend the extra money for a direct-fit (still requires a cut) than muffler welded-in by a shop is because you don't have a muffler shop nearby you can use.

There is no reason why your dealership should care about anything from the cat-back. My service advisor did recommend that if I went with a aftermarket muffler, to get it welded in, since some of the direct-fits have a tendency to get loose over time. In fact, most direct-fit mufflers do recommended welding a bead on the clamp to prevent it from getting loose.

Either way, keep your stock muffler in case you want to resell/trade your truck in the future, since quite a few dealerships will ding you on resale for aftermarket exhaust, especially if it's loud. Even if you have a muffler shop weld in an aftermarket muffler, it's easy to put the stock one back in and save you $100 or so.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just buy a Borla system, use it for 3 years, and sell it when you're done with it. You'll get probably 1/2, if not more than half of your money back when you sell it.
Yea, I'll be paying $500 for a 3 year old used exhaust, count on it.

I doubt you will get anything for your old used junk but hey, Craigslist proves that theory wrong every day. Meanwhile buy what you want and put it on your truck. Enjoy it. It will be depreciated junk when you sell it and want the latest new shiny toy anyway. Have fun.

wsutard1

Reaction score
I have the carven cut and clamp. IMO it sounds nothing like the YouTube clips. It’s very quiet. I regret getting it. I’m going to delete all of the resonators (all 3) as a last chance option.

Whoa now. It is not quiet. It’s your ANC system working. I know because I installed it and thought to myself “whoa, this is quiet”. The same day I unhooked the mics for my ANC system (thumping problem) and all of a sudden “whoa, this is not quiet”.

Users who are viewing this thread