5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boat ramp (newbie diesel owner) question

kelster1574

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2019 1500 Classic ecodiesel 4x4 a week now. Today I took my boat out...to and from the lake it was amazing, pulled and pulled with WAY more power then I need to tow my boat. My question is coming up the boat ramp, with both my boat on and off the trailer and with and without the TOW button engaged, my truck bogged down to the point I had to kind of hammer down.....none of my previous trucks (non-diesel) had this issue and all my vehicles prior had a LOW Incase it was a very steep ramp. Is there a trick, something I am missing? Should I put it in 4wd? Thanks for helping out a newbie diesel owner.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
4x4 is a good idea for added safety. If the ramp is slick with debris, algea, ice, or whatnot it can be ulgy if you lose traction. Just depends on the ramp. Dosent sound like it would help you out though.

NH_Ram

Reaction score
Try 4Low, steep boat ramps are exactly what it was designed for.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve pulled my dads boat out twice now from the water without issues in 4hi. Boat and trailer is 10k+. I think something else is going on here, should have tons of power and easily spin the tires if to much throttle is applied.

I supposed it could he turbo lag, I’ve gotten used to it in the 4 months I’ve owned my truck. When I am pulling the boat out of the water I have to use two feet, one to hold the truck/boat/trailer in place while I slowly apply throttle to get the rig moving forwards, or else it’ll pull me down the ramp. Maybe hill start assist is holding you there until the truck starts moving?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Another vote here for using 4wd. Sounds to me like traction control kicked in. I've launched many boats and have always used 4wd for traction and safety. Those ramps can get very slick!!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck (5.7) freaked out at the ramp once; it was because I opened the door....there is a self-protection/safety lockout that kicks in. Insofar as using 4WD at the ramp; my answer is yes, always use 4x4 at the ramp. You don't always need 4x4 for ramp traction, but what 4x4 gives you is a little extra protection from having your truck pulled into the water. If you are in 2wd and your rear tires are on a slick ramp, the weight of the boat and trailer could pull your truck into the water because only the rear wheels are locked up with the transmission in park and/or when the parking brake is on. Engaging 4x4 will cause your front wheels to lock up with the transmission in park via the transfer case; thereby giving your truck a little more grip. If you look at some of the videos of boats being pulled into the water at ramps, you will see that many of them are in park and have the parking brake engaged when they are pulled out; this is because the rear had no traction and the front wheels were free-spinning without 4x4 engaged. I always use 4x4 and throw a heavy duty chock behind my drivers side front tire when I get out of my truck on the ramp.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I white smoked my tires last weekend pulling boat out of lake. Knew I should of went 4x4 lol. Also have toyo a/t tires. Didn’t help.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck (5.7) freaked out at the ramp once; it was because I opened the door....there is a self-protection/safety lockout that kicks in.
I've had that happen several times, real annoying. If you leave your seatbelt on it won't engage Autopark. Don't quote me on this one, but I think Autopark is also disabled in 4 low

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had that happen several times, real annoying. If you leave your seatbelt on it won't engage Autopark. Don't quote me on this one, but I think Autopark is also disabled in 4 low
This is because that star trek actor crushed himself with his Jeep.

Users who are viewing this thread