5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Block Heater

shrubs2000

Reaction score
I Live in oHIo and want a blcok heater for my truck. 2x over the last few months I've contacted the parts department of my dealer and both times they say they don't have any information for the 2019 5.7–Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine??? Can anyone verify this is true? I was hoping PN: 5149022AB would fit.

TimG

Reaction score
I don't know about the part number, but I have a block heater on my Rebel, so they definitely exist. I don't imagine it should be too hard of a thing to track down. Good luck!

JonathanCash

Reaction score
There is definitely a block heater available. It is part of the North Edition package.

Stickerhead

Reaction score
I have one on my Limited. It came from Denver. It was a $95 option I will never use in Texas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Waco Kid

Reaction score
I had a mopar block heater added about 3 months after purchase, on my '19 5.7 MDS VVT, at the dealership. No issues at all. If I remember correctly, about $110 in parts, .5 hr install....well under $200 all in. Absolutely worth it in northern Montana.

Last edited:

shrubs2000

Reaction score
I had a mopar block heater added about 3 months after purchase, on my '19 5.7 MDS VVT, at the dealership. No issues at all. If I remember correctly, about $110 in parts, .5 hr install....well under $200 all in. Absolutely worth in in northern Montana.
Do you have the part number? I was in Minot for 6 years so I know where you're coming from.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

The Waco Kid

Reaction score
Do you have the part number? I was in Minot for 6 years so I know where you're coming from.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Sure thing - it's on the paperwork, out in my glove box; but it's snowing buckets & just can't make myself walk outside right now! I'll follow up, here, tomorrow.

The Waco Kid

Reaction score
that's the one I thought but the dealer said no. guess I'll try a different dealer. Thanx for helping!!

I double checked. & sure enough, they're good PNs. This dealership has done lots of mods & work for me over the past 1.5 yrs. And, I plugged in night before last...all systems go. The install took about 5 minutes in the parking lot; most of that was just clipping the cord on correctly.

Attachments

• KIMG1575_01.JPG
    KIMG1575_01.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 73

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Good Lord... called the dealer last Friday and the parts department still stuck by their story that they don't make one. I was in the neighborhood so I stopped by. Well I guess in 4 days, FCA now makes one. :p

The guy at the parts desk was very inconvenienced by me asking about the parts. He quoted a price for the heater, cord, and a bolt I have to buy. Now the best part..... He quoted me a price of $141.00 for the cord! :eek::mad: Yep, that's not a typo either. I even asked again and he rolled his eyes at me as he had already exited his handy dandy program.

Anyhow, I'm ordering them on-line and won't be buying from them for any parts.

The Waco Kid

Reaction score
Dang, what an ordeal. I think you're being too nice about the experience. ....may as well "out" the dealership here, & save somebody else the trouble.

jonnyt

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info. The part number comes up but it states it does not fit a 2019 5.7. Shrubs, funny I am headed to Minot. I know it was a must have living in Great Falls.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info. The part number comes up but it states it does not fit a 2019 5.7. Shrubs, funny I am headed to Minot. I know it was a must have living in Great Falls.

From the numbers by @The Waco Kid and some research, I now have the parts in-hand. I have an appointment for tomorrow for the installation. Once that's done, I need a cord to get it to reach out to my tow hook and tuck inside the bumper when not in use.

I was at Minot from 1996 - 2002.

jonnyt

Reaction score
I wonder if there is just a longer cord kit to start off with. One that will reach the tow hook area? Anyone try this or what do you use currently?

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Back from the dealer and the installation. Strange as everything I read was the cord was too short. Low and behold it was outside my tow hook when I picked it up. next warm(er) day, I'll pop the hood and see how it was run.

Thanx again @The Waco Kid

Attachments

• 20191031_151826.jpg
    20191031_151826.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 74

TimG

Reaction score
Ill bet a dollar that they used a cord from a 2500 or 3500.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Not sure as I supplied the parts. I'm good with it as I don't have to buy/fabricate a cord.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last edited:

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Did Ram stop installing the heat element as standard in recent years? Everything I've read on other forums and even a couple of dealer websites suggest that the heating element is already installed and you only have to buy the cord. Here's one the the dealer sites: https://www.palmendodgechryslerjeepofracine.com/blog/putting-an-engine-block-heater-in-a-ram-1500/

Chances are - because they are a dealer in the frozen north, ALL the trucks they order, come with the block heater added onto all their orders.

Otherwise (absent a northern package) they are a $90 add-on in the "build & price" section of the ramtruck site.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread