5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Block Heater - No Longer a Freebie

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spoke with a salesman today at Gillman CJDR who I’ve known for a number of years and learned block heaters are no longer installed on all Ecodiesels effective the end of August 2021. He stated buyers are now required to purchased the Ecodiesel with the Cold Weather Package or if ordering the you’ll need to order the Cold Weather Package if you want a block heater.

Mike stated the days are gone when the block heater was always installed and all the buyer had to do was pick up the cord and install it.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Good to know. That box (CWG) should be checked on all ED'S IMO anyway regardless of where it's sold. My 2 cents

Last edited:

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s RAM checking on us in these forums right therrrr…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad Notch

Reaction score
Just installed the cord on mine this weekend. Sucks it wont be factory installed anymore.

tom318

Reaction score
I order mine with it.....never used nor have I even set eyes on it to see if its there. Only reason I got it was just in case the truck didn't fit in the garage, luckily it does.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I order mine with it.....never used nor have I even set eyes on it to see if its there. Only reason I got it was just in case the truck didn't fit in the garage, luckily it does.
I never had to plug in my 2020 I traded in and it sat outside for 1/2 the winter until I was able to clear out the 2nd garage stall. Even on -15F mornings it fired immediately with remote start (after the glow plug warm-up delay) with no caugh, sputter, hammer, or any other drama. I was damned impressed. It would ramp up the idle and truck was always toasty-warm for interior heat too and I never did put the winter front on.

That all being said, I still want the block heater and winter front just in case. Depending on how this winter shapes up there's a good chance I'll install the winter front this time.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never had to plug in my 2020 I traded in and it sat outside for 1/2 the winter until I was able to clear out the 2nd garage stall. Even on -15F mornings it fired immediately with remote start (after the glow plug warm-up delay) with no caugh, sputter, hammer, or any other drama. I was damned impressed. It would ramp up the idle and truck was always toasty-warm for interior heat too and I never did put the winter front on.

That all being said, I still want the block heater and winter front just in case. Depending on how this winter shapes up there's a good chance I'll install the winter front this time.
Block heaters are fantastic insurance policies for cold weather that none of us can predict. Unless you grow up like I did a little north of Fairbanks, Alaska…forgot to plug in the block heater only once and there nothing like the clatter of my Cummins being fired up with a shot of ether at -45! 😉

• Wow
Reactions: c3k

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Block heaters are fantastic insurance policies for cold weather that none of us can predict. Unless you grow up like I did a little north of Fairbanks, Alaska…forgot to plug in the block heater only once and there nothing like the clatter of my Cummins being fired up with a shot of ether at -45! 😉
The sound of that Cummins hammering is ringing in my head right now...😬

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
salesmen dont know jack. The engines are made in italy for FCA/whatever their new made up name is. I seriously doubt they would make a second part number for an unfixable mistake. IF someone orders or needs a block heater and they failed to put the right engine in that one single cost of replacement would probably cost more than to have the do block heaters in every single ecodiesel engine. not gonna happen.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
salesmen dont know jack. The engines are made in italy for FCA/whatever their new made up name is. I seriously doubt they would make a second part number for an unfixable mistake. IF someone orders or needs a block heater and they failed to put the right engine in that one single cost of replacement would probably cost more than to have the do block heaters in every single ecodiesel engine. not gonna happen.
I agree salesmen don’t know jack and it’s obvious you don’t know if they’ve discontinued installing block heaters (if the buyer doesn’t order it or is factory installed during the build) in the 2022 Ecodiesels.

I don’t know either but rather than make statements I can’t support (like you did), I put it out there trusting a new 2022 buyer will respond if it is true or not. I too find it hard to believe FCA Stellantis would do it but the Lord knows we’ve seen all kinds of things over the past year that have not made sense.

If it is true, it will help make fellow members better informed when they go to purchase a new Ecodiesel. My 2021 has one thus my only motive is to help other members…

Last edited:

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the block heater an oil pan heater or is it using a freeze plug and heating the engine coolant fluid?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the block heater an oil pan heater or is it using a freeze plug and heating the engine coolant fluid?
More info

Camelot

Reaction score
My 2021 Eco Diesel has the block heater installed, I believe they all do from the factory. If you order that option the dealer will install the cable from the actual heater for you. I just ordered the cable and will install it when it arrives. If you look over your right front tire, you can see the red cover over the heater connection. Pull that red plastics cover off, plug in the cable and you are good to go.

Check out this guys video for details.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Eco Diesel has the block heater installed, I believe they all do from the factory. If you order that option the dealer will install the cable from the actual heater for you. I just ordered the cable and will install it when it arrives. If you look over your right front tire, you can see the red cover over the heater connection. Pull that red plastics cover off, plug in the cable and you are good to go.

Check out this guys video for details.
What month/year was yours manufactured? It is the 2022 models that are affected - manufactured after the end of August 2021z

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is a 2021, not sure what month
Only 2022s manufactured after August 2021 are supposed to be affected as I stated in the original post.

I’d prefer to hear from anyone with a 2022 Ecodiesel manufactured in early September 2021 if this is in fact true.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the Jeep pickup, you don't even get a block heater with the Cold Weather package. Mine was built 5/27/21 with Cold Weather and there is no block heater or cord.

NVRAM

Reaction score
I have a 2021 built in Sept and have no block heater. Sucks because I purchased a cord. Now I just have to get the block heater.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 built in Sept and have no block heater. Sucks because I purchased a cord. Now I just have to get the block heater.
Thanks for helping confirm what I was told by Mike. Would like to hear from others if you purchased/received a September 2021 or later build that does not have the block heater. I'm not talking about if it is on the window sticker but if you found it visually through the front passenger wheel well on the side of the engine.

Alternatively, would like to hear from anyone who has ordered a 2022 Ecodiesel and had the discussion with the dealer about the block heater. IMHO it should be included with every diesel but since it appears Ram has decided to go down a different route it would be nice to keep members informed so they can order the it with the build...I've installed several block heaters in my life and they can be a PITA...better to order it with the truck if they are no longer being included with the Ecodiesel.

P.S. All this global warming crap only goes so far with me when a -10 or lower cold snap hits and you can't start your truck without saying a prayer and wincing as you press the start button! ;) We have family in Michigan, North Dakota and Alaska so when traveling up north it's good to have the block heater even if almost never required in south Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread