5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Block Heater 2020 Ecodiesel

jeff00454

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 Ram Ecodiesel and it does not have the cold weather package. I'm hoping the new diesel has the block heater installed and all I need is the cord. I'm asking to see if someone can post a picture of where the cord comes out at the front of the truck with the cold weather package. The new body style has everything buttoned up pretty tight on the front of the truck. Also, is the part the same as the old version? I checked the Mopar parts sites but no listings for the 2020 Ecodiesel parts and my dealer did not order any Ecodiesels with the cold weather package.

Thanks for all your help.

rorischak

Reaction score
jeff00454 - I have the cold weather package and I had to Youtube (and still don't know exactly where it is located) just to see where the plug is at but I don't expect to ever use this feature simply because I don't live in a VERY cold climate here in Pennsylvania but the truck came with the package. The owners manual has some really shabby pictures but i need to spend more time understanding its location.

1JK

Reaction score
the engine block cord is just tie wrapped, mine was on the passenger side of the engine. basically just a standard power cord that pugs into the female end of your extension cord. i'm not sure what the cold weather package is but it was just a $90 option on my LTD. we're in Michigan and my truck is usually kept in a heated garage but occasionally when left out I plug it in. at $90 was an easy choice. this week i was traveling and it slept outside in 25F weather, no plug in but it started cold with no problem. i just let it warm up for a few minutes before driving. if im not driving for a few days i put it on a trickle charger. my girlfriend kids me and says that if she is reincarnated she wants to come back as my truck. (always some truth in good humor).

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
jeff00454 - I have the cold weather package and I had to Youtube (and still don't know exactly where it is located) just to see where the plug is at but I don't expect to ever use this feature simply because I don't live in a VERY cold climate here in Pennsylvania but the truck came with the package. The owners manual has some really shabby pictures but i need to spend more time understanding its location.
I found mine under the hood, passenger side on top of the fender.

jeff00454

Reaction score
I want to add some additional information. I went to my dealer yesterday and they just received a limited ECO-Diesel with the cold weather package. As was said here, the harness was routed from the block heater to the right front fender and was wire tied to the coolant bottle. I then went to the parts department and the harness/cord was $59.00 from Mopar, so I ordered one because I received a 20% customer discount. I know the generic ones are cheaper on Amazon but nice to have all the heat sleeve and fasteners attached. Note: it is not an accessory, it is an actual part. Hope this helps others.

Zsolt

Reaction score

I m not a RAM driver in the moment - just thinking about to buy it but it's not as easy in Europe. But: I have (aftermarket DEFA, cca 250-300 USD here) engine block heater all in my trucks in the last 10-12 years. The weather is similar here to the Omaha, Nebraska region and my car (currently Toyota Hilux) always sleeps in the non-heated garage. I use the block heater from late autumn till the early spring. As engine wear mostly comes from low temp operation it's a very good option. Otherwise cab heating comes much faster so it's comfort is way better . Cheers

Futureboy61

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 New body style 1500 Bighorn 3.0l Eco diesel with the North package , I love it.
The heater block plug is under the hood (facing the truck) near the back left fender well by the coolant tank. It uses a standard grounded extension cord to connect. No special MOPAR cable required.
20200211_174837.jpg 20200211_174837.jpg

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Fords usually have this tucked under front bumper - Its really inconvenient to open the hood to connect the block heater. Beyond me why this location....

If its behind front bumper - you exit the truck, connect the extension cord from socket to the truck and off you go. This popping the hood open, to connect the cable and keeping either the hood open all night when tis connected or to close the hood - and reopen in the morning to disconnect is not very practical.

Futureboy61

Reaction score
Fords usually have this tucked under front bumper - Its really inconvenient to open the hood to connect the block heater. Beyond me why this location....

If its behind front bumper - you exit the truck, connect the extension cord from socket to the truck and off you go. This popping the hood open, to connect the cable and keeping either the hood open all night when tis connected or to close the hood - and reopen in the morning to disconnect is not very practical.
I suppose one could run a short extension cord from this spot and tie it down to wherever you wanted it to exit on the vehicle.
I used my engine block heater last night for the first time (temps got to below 0 F ) I did not fully latch the hood so it was easy to open this morning and remove the extension cord. I'm just glad I got an engine block heater. In ancient times, I remember running an extension cord and putting an incandescent 100W light bulb under the hood and trying to make sure nothing was going to get melted or set on fire over night. That was practical back then. This is much better now even if it's a little inconvenient.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
I know the Cummins Ram's have the block heater installed from factory in all engines, some just need to have the cord added. Can anyone confirm or deny that the ecodiesel has the block heater installed WITHOUT the cold weather package?

awsimeone

Reaction score
Mine does. I did not purchase cord from dealer but plan to add it on myself.

2020 big horn purchased 2 weeks ago.

This is looking in the passenger side at the motor from the wheel well.

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seaeco

Reaction score
Mine does too and here is a picture of the same location as the last post and also a picture of the OEM cord I purchased from the dealer.

Attachments

• 2477C5BE-A21E-4FFB-8F87-FF71D3C52669.jpeg
    2477C5BE-A21E-4FFB-8F87-FF71D3C52669.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 5171DEF1-49EC-41CF-98A5-025693B374D0.jpeg
    5171DEF1-49EC-41CF-98A5-025693B374D0.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 223

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone, been wanting to know If my 2020 ED had the block heater as well, now I know what to look for.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 New body style 1500 Bighorn 3.0l Eco diesel with the North package , I love it.
The heater block plug is under the hood (facing the truck) near the back left fender well by the coolant tank. It uses a standard grounded extension cord to connect. No special MOPAR cable required.
View attachment 46399 View attachment 46399
Think you can post some pics of how the heater cord is routed and mounted under the hood?
I just ordered part#68357826AA and would like to know how the factory routed the wire.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate the location of it. Kind of stupid actually. I plan to run a short extension cord from mine down to a permanent weather resistant outlet at the front bumper before next winter comes.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I hate the location of it. Kind of stupid actually. I plan to run a short extension cord from mine down to a permanent weather resistant outlet at the front bumper before next winter comes.
I'll probably do the same once they decided to ship the dang thing.

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Just a thought for those that want to do this, as I will probably find a location for this, as well. On my 2016 EcoDiesel, I added a receptacle inside one of the blanks on the front bumper for the block heater plug so I didn't have to pop the hood to plug it in.

Besides not living in a very cold environment, a block heater is FANTASTIC even in moderate weather because it keeps the block heated enough that when you do a cold start (which isn't even cold) you still have full heat. I used to plug my truck in every night (easy when you also have an electric car...it becomes habit) so I'd have warm heat in the morning. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it on my 2016, but since the 2020 has much less real estate for this, I'm considering doing it in the wheel well.

Users who are viewing this thread