5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Plastics Fading

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Anyone else finding that all the black plastic trim is fading to a lighter gray? I saw a Rebel in the commuter lot yesterday and it looked like the plastic color had faded to a lighter gray. I've had that problem with other vehicles before and had to constantly use the "Back to Black" liquid nearly every week to keep the plastics looking black. Just curious.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a good reminder - I haven't applied an 303 to my flares; how old was that Rebel in the lot?

What I've noticed with my '19 is that dirt definitely impregnates into the texture of the flare a bit. The only thing one can do is to keep it washed with a wax free soap (wax will bond permanently and make the plastic white) and then apply a uv protectant (ie Aerospace 303), hopefully it's 5 years before there's too much fade

Flot

Reaction score
Anyone else finding that all the black plastic trim is fading to a lighter gray? I saw a Rebel in the commuter lot yesterday and it looked like the plastic color had faded to a lighter gray.

My Laramie sport just turned 1 year old, that was one of my concerns but so far the hood inserts are holding up well in a year of Florida sun.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Clean19 you are very correct. Gtechniq is a great product. It's pricey, but it will keep your black parts looking new for a long time. I used it on my 2015 Mustang GT, and that stuff lasts and lasts. I've got the Mopar matte black bug deflector on my Ram, and when it starts to fade, I'll order the Gtechnig.

AdventureJunkie

Reaction score
Apply Gtechniq. Pricey. But it’ll take care of that.
Is gtechniq good for prevention or only correction ones its started to fade? Just wondering if I should just do it before the fading begins

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have on occasion used Armor-All after the car wash on all the black bits of my Rebel... seems to keep them "fresh".

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is gtechniq good for prevention or only correction ones its started to fade? Just wondering if I should just do it before the fading begins

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It would likely be good for prevention. I’ve only used it that one time, on my Mustang. The plastic was already a bit faded and the Gtechniq brought it back to looking new and it lasted for several years. Still looked good from that one application when I sold her several months ago. Here’s a pic that shows the plastic right before I sold her.

Attachments

• 59C6B235-44DF-4CE6-92FE-CF0A08D9B876.jpeg
    59C6B235-44DF-4CE6-92FE-CF0A08D9B876.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 80

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. A bit annoying as one of the reasons I bought this was for lower maintenance. But it’s way worse than a chrome bumper truck. Trying to wax the truck is now annoying plus you gotta do the trim separately and so forth.

I’ll be going back to chrome bumpers on the next one for sure, or painted ones.

I was considering trying to have them all sprayed in linex, but unsure how it would look or hold up. Their new fancy stuff isn’t supposed to sun fade as aggressively but I have a hard time thinking a black linex bumper won’t fade sitting outside all the time.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
LineX makes a clear topcoat for their base LineX that costs extra. It prohibits the fading and chalkiness you'll see over several seasons.

For black trim there are several options to consider: a preventative (like 303), a touch up (like Armor All), and a restorer (like Forever Black). If your trim is already faded, the preventative and touch up make make it look nice for a day or a wash. The only way to make trim look semi-new long term is to use something like Forever Black, which lasts a few years. I'm not recommending any particular product, just mentioning the different kinds.

Clean19

Reaction score
28191 28192
it will both restore and protect / prolong the life of the plastic. Ironically enough, here is a commercial van I detailed this weekend with a request to have the plastics restored. :)

dsn112

Reaction score
I use solution finish once a year to restore any fade. When i run out i'll try GT Techniq

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have on occasion used Armor-All after the car wash on all the black bits of my Rebel... seems to keep them "fresh".
Nooooo....Armor All bad!

Brought in my Avalanche years ago about the fading plastic. First words out of the tech's mouth were "You put Armor All on it, dont you?"
Why, yes. Yes I did.
I loved that dark wet look after a detail job! But apparently, it can make fading worse, or so I was told. I haven't purchased an AA product since 2005 for that reason. Get some 303 aerospace protectant.

It was a pretty truck too, until the fading got so bad. And as a reminder, these things had acres of plastic on them.
Here's a pic of her at her best. I stopped taking photos of it after a year or so, because it looked so ragged out. :cry:
003.jpg

Last edited:

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Chemical Guys VRP isn't bad. I use it a lot for all the plastics, both inside and outside and on the tires. It's a great all around product and I use it in most of my detailing aresnal needs. I don't recommend a lot of Chemical guys products, but that's one I do stand by and can be picked up at most autozone places.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use 303 for years, worked well for me and shine isn't too bright.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An interesting discussion. But all boils down to what you like or what someone else told you worked great, etc. For example, previous poster stated that they did not use Armoral on their Avalanche due to advice of Tech . My experience was just the opposite and I had Avalanches going back to 2004. What I would like to know is the science behind these different products, then maybe I could make a better choice. Maybe some materials engineer out there could add to the discussion?

Users who are viewing this thread