5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein installation

canative

Reaction score
Anyone here install the front Bilstein 5100's themselves? How difficult? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and do some work myself.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Not hard if you have the tools. Hardest part for me was separating the upper control arms from the knuckle. Just wouldn’t come off. Other than that it was 2-3 hours probably.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Anyone here install the front Bilstein 5100's themselves? How difficult? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and do some work myself.
I did mine myself. It’s not that difficult. I couldn’t see paying anyone to do it

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Agree, it wasn't hard at all, my problem was I did not pay attention to the marks I made so I needed to take the drivers side apart twice to get it lined up properly.

canative

Reaction score
Don't you need one of those spring compressors?

canative

Reaction score
Are there any videos out there doing a complete process?

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Are there any videos out there doing a complete process?

Heres one of the more detailed that I found when I was looking into a level kit. It includes disassembling the coil-over unit itself, whereas you'll simply be replacing it with the Bilstein units. Also, many more vids on youtube of peeps using nothing but hand tools so u can DIY no prob

Ram 1500 Superlift kit install

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Someone on a previous thread also posted the torque specs you will need when tightening everything up. I followed the video when I did mine and found the torque specs he states are wrong.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Don't you need one of those spring compressors?
I bought a spring compressor off of Amazon and a pass-through socket set at Harbor Freight. I don’t normally buy tools at HF but figured this would be a one time use and didn’t want to pay Snap On price. The set was good enough

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You wouldnt need it as the Bilstein units are the complete coil-over assy. It's just a "simple" swap

Sorry, that’s not correct for the models Bilstein has available right now. With the 5100s, you’ll need to tear apart your current coil overs and reuse the top hat and springs to form a new coil over with the Bilstein shock.

Not too hard at all. Like all things mechanical, the first time will take you longer, the next time will be half the time. I took about 5hrs to do front and back the first time, but redid the fronts to change ride height in 2hrs.

I’d recommend getting the spring compressors from an auto parts store. They’ll loan it to you free of charge as long as you return it. You’ll also want to get a set of pass-thru sockets for the top hat removal. I was part way thru disassembly when I realized I needed mine... which stunk.

If you aren’t changing UCAs, I’d recommend removing the alignment bolts from the LCA and leaving the UCA attached. Mark your alignment ahead of time, and reset it to the marks when you’re completed. Those alignment bolts will come free much easier than the UCA ball joint.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Sorry, that’s not correct for the models Bilstein has available right now. With the 5100s, you’ll need to tear apart your current coil overs and reuse the top hat and springs to form a new coil over with the Bilstein shock.

Not too hard at all. Like all things mechanical, the first time will take you longer, the next time will be half the time. I took about 5hrs to do front and back the first time, but redid the fronts to change ride height in 2hrs.

I’d recommend getting the spring compressors from an auto parts store. They’ll loan it to you free of charge as long as you return it. You’ll also want to get a set of pass-thru sockets for the top hat removal. I was part way thru disassembly when I realized I needed mine... which stunk.

If you aren’t changing UCAs, I’d recommend removing the alignment bolts from the LCA and leaving the UCA attached. Mark your alignment ahead of time, and reset it to the marks when you’re completed. Those alignment bolts will come free much easier than the UCA ball joint.
Bah you're correct, guess i was thinking of the RC units...

Last edited:

Ramtrx

Reaction score

This^. I couldn’t get the upper control arm lose. I spent most of my time working that and less time actually installing the shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread