5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 6112 setup with/without ORP

BigBucks21

Reaction score
I'm trying to gain some clarity regarding the setup of the Bilstein 6112. From what I understand the difference in the suspension between and RAM 1500 ORP and Non-ORP are the springs. The springs are 1" longer with the ORP.

With that said, when ordering the Bilstein 6112 front adjustable kit (part #: 47-293540), it comes with a paired set of coil-over springs. So if you're installing the 6112 kit, why are there different clip restrictions for ORP vs Non-ORP? Another way of putting it, you are removing the variable (the spring) that make the truck an ORP vs Non-ORP so why would there be any difference at this point?

mr.fusion

Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, you are right. Doesn't matter what truck you put them on... it's the same because they come with new springs. The end result ride height is the same whether or not you have the ORP.

But he chart shows how much increase in height you get... it's the before/after difference. So that matters... which truck you started with ...ORP vs Non-ORP

RcrYee

Reaction score
I assumed the chart meant, unassemble springs that came with 6112, assemble with ORP and then the chart applies to the lift height and clip position?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
the chart is based off using the supplied springs. per bilstein themselves.

BigBucks21

Reaction score
the chart is based off using the supplied springs. per bilstein themselves.
Not trying to be rude, but I think your missing my question or maybe I'm simply missing something...

The chart that comes with the 6112 & springs shows settings for an ORP and without an ORP. I just dont understand why the option exists (ORP vs Non-ORPl. Assuming you use the springs that come with the Bilstein package it would negate the fact if you started with an ORP or Non-ORP in my opinion.

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
it's giving you the difference you'll see with each package. if you have the orp you're already sitting higher so you'll notice less of an increase in height being as you're already higher. every other lift option compares in the same way with different numbers per brand

BigBucks21

Reaction score
it's giving you the difference you'll see with each package. if you have the orp you're already sitting higher so you'll notice less of an increase in height being as you're already higher. every other lift option compares in the same way with different numbers per brand
Got it. Thanks.

Rjshoaff1

Reaction score
I’m also in the club!
Ordered 6112 and 5160 for my ORP truck. I only have 3.25 inches before my shark fin hits the garage. Hoping I’ll be fine on the two inch setting and 33 inch tires. 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

cdpoole

Reaction score
After all kinds of research and waiting I installed the 6112 on the front and 5100 on the rear with 35x1150x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on factory Laramie wheels. Here's my answers and opinion to the common questions asked around here.

1. I got about 2.5" of lift in the front on setting #8. I'm sitting about 1/4" - 1/2" high in the front and I expect the springs to settle.

2. I drove the truck for about 100 miles with the new struts/shocks and factory tires. I would say the ride is equivalent to factory ride. I didn't notice anything different.

3. The tires don't rub at all. At full lock both ways they are fine. There is also about 1" between the tire and the upper control arm.

4. The factory upper control arms are fine. I had it aligned by a shop that is very familiar with lifted and lowered vehicles. The tech wasn't worried about the angles at all and was able to align it easily.

5. I drove it about 50 miles on the new tires. This did cause the ride to change, as expected. It is a little stiffer and you feel more of the road driving. I would say while noticable it's not a deal breaker for me because it's not too bad.

Hopefully this will help anyone who had as many questions as I did.

Attachments

• PXL_20210323_003027151.jpg
    PXL_20210323_003027151.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 292
  • PXL_20210322_224258991.jpg
    PXL_20210322_224258991.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 297

Rjshoaff1

Reaction score
After all kinds of research and waiting I installed the 6112 on the front and 5100 on the rear with 35x1150x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on factory Laramie wheels. Here's my answers and opinion to the common questions asked around here.

1. I got about 2.5" of lift in the front on setting #8. I'm sitting about 1/4" - 1/2" high in the front and I expect the springs to settle.

2. I drove the truck for about 100 miles with the new struts/shocks and factory tires. I would say the ride is equivalent to factory ride. I didn't notice anything different.

3. The tires don't rub at all. At full lock both ways they are fine. There is also about 1" between the tire and the upper control arm.

4. The factory upper control arms are fine. I had it aligned by a shop that is very familiar with lifted and lowered vehicles. The tech wasn't worried about the angles at all and was able to align it easily.

5. I drove it about 50 miles on the new tires. This did cause the ride to change, as expected. It is a little stiffer and you feel more of the road driving. I would say while noticable it's not a deal breaker for me because it's not too bad.

Thanks for the info! Do you have the OFf road package on your truck?

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
I’m also in the club!
Ordered 6112 and 5160 for my ORP truck. I only have 3.25 inches before my shark fin hits the garage. Hoping I’ll be fine on the two inch setting and 33 inch tires. 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽
Where did you find them at? They been sold out from what I’ve seen

cdpoole

Reaction score
Where did you find them at? They been sold out from what I’ve seen
Look at summit racing, rock auto, or Bilstein lifts. I was watching all those places and within the same hour a few weeks ago was alerted that they all had the 6112 in stock. The 5160s are still hard to get but I wasn't worried about the extra reservoir for what I needed.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

About your number 1 comment...

You have no Off Road Package (stated elsewhere).

The comment about 2.5" of lift and sitting 1/4"-1/2" high has me puzzled. Do you mean the front is higher than the rear by that amount?

Thanks.

cdpoole

Reaction score
About your number 1 comment...

You have no Off Road Package (stated elsewhere).

The comment about 2.5" of lift and sitting 1/4"-1/2" high has me puzzled. Do you mean the front is higher than the rear by that amount?

Thanks.
Yes the front is slightly higher than the rear by about 1/4". I measured it after install and on the alignment machine after driving about 50 miles.

On my 2017 I used leveling springs and they settled about 3/8" - 1/2" after day to day driving so I expect these to settle some.

Reactions: c3k

BigBucks21

Reaction score
I wanted to provide an update on my suspension upgrade. Extremely happy with the results.

- First just to eliminate confusion in the attached pics, I added the "4x4 Offroad" decal to my truck. It did not come with the ORP and confirmed via the spring part # I removed in my modification below.
  • Stock suspension measurement before any modifications. Center of wheel to bottom of fender well. Front 21.5", Rear 23.75"
  • Added the Icon Springs to the rear & Installed Bilstein 5100's in the rear. (I wanted 5160's in the rear but currently out of stock. May upgrade in future to 5160's when available). According to specs on the Icon springs they are 1.5" taller. For whatever it's worth, I measured only an increase of 0.75" after my installation. I'm actually glad this is all the lift I got as I didn't want it too tall in the rear.
  • Installed the Bilstein 6112's to the front along with the supplied springs in the kit. Used clip #7.
  • Installed Readylift UCA's to the front. No other spacers, etc were used from the kit, only the UCA's.
  • Installed Fuel Maverick 20x9 +1 offset wheels mounted on Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x11.5R20 tires. Fit is great and plenty of clearance without any modifications.
  • Final suspension measurements: Front 23.5", Rear 24.5. Front raised exactly 2" using clip #7 on the Bilstein 6112's. Rear raised .75" via the Icon springs.
Very happy with this setup! Drives great! Suspension is a definite improvement in my opinion. The best way to describe it as "more planted" as others have described. Not stiff but also less "bouncy" when you run over a pot-hole, etc. I wanted about a 1-1.5" of rake as I town a boat quite a bit and don't want it nose high with the added tongue weight. I'll drive it for a while and see if the dimensions change after is settles out.

Many thanks out to this forum and members as the information in here was extremely helpful! Hopefully the information and pics I provided will help others just as much.

Pics below show: stock setup, with suspension modifications and then with new wheels/tires.

Attachments

• 20210321_163733.jpg
    20210321_163733.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 20210323_130752.jpg
    20210323_130752.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 20210324_100827.jpg
    20210324_100827.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 338

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
  • Installed the Bilstein 6112's to the front along with the supplied springs in the kit. Used clip #7.
First, thanks for the post.
Second, your truck looks perfect! (Yeah, I'm going for the same. ;) )

Looking at images of the Bilstein B8 6112, I only see 5 circlip positions. Position 5 is a lift of ~2.5".

When you say "clip #7", did you mean 5?

Finally, others have commented that the 5100 on the highest position gives a hard ride. Have you noticed that, as well, with your 6112s?

BigBucks21

Reaction score
First, thanks for the post.
Second, your truck looks perfect! (Yeah, I'm going for the same. ;) )

Looking at images of the Bilstein B8 6112, I only see 5 circlip positions. Position 5 is a lift of ~2.5".

When you say "clip #7", did you mean 5?

Finally, others have commented that the 5100 on the highest position gives a hard ride. Have you noticed that, as well, with your 6112s?
I think you may have confused the 5100 with the 6112.?. The 6112 has 8 clip positions and the 5100 has 5 clip positions.

Below is a screen shot of install instruction from the 6112 showing the 8 clip positions. Here is a link to the install instructions. https://productdeskapi.cart.bilsteinus.com/media/products/bilstein/E4-WM5-Y654A00_2.pdf

1616611140658.png

As far as the ride quality, it is really good. Not "Harsh" at all in my opinion. Keep in mind I also upgraded my rear springs to the Icon's. Truck seems to stay in contact with the road better without any harsh effects when you fit a bump if that makes any sense... I have only driven it for 50 miles so far however.

Hope this helps..

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you may have confused the 5100 with the 6112.?. The 6112 has 8 clip positions and the 5100 has 5 clip positions.

Below is a screen shot of install instruction from the 6112 showing the 8 clip positions. Here is a link to the install instructions. https://productdeskapi.cart.bilsteinus.com/media/products/bilstein/E4-WM5-Y654A00_2.pdf

View attachment 86773

As far as the ride quality, it is really good. Not "Harsh" at all in my opinion. Keep in mind I also upgraded my rear springs to the Icon's. Truck seems to stay in contact with the road better without any harsh effects when you fit a bump if that makes any sense... I have only driven it for 50 miles so far however.

Hope this helps..
I went to a 6112 seller's site, downloaded their instructions and saw just 5 positions...EXACTLY the same as the 5100. I guess now I know why: they mis-linked the instructions.

Thanks for clarifying! Yes, it helps!!

Users who are viewing this thread