5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better step lights with AMP steps - PICS!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I opted to not install the small LED lights that come with the AMP steps. I've seen them in action and they're no impressive to say the least. So, I opted to install these instead - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JUE9OLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cleaned the rocker panel real well then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol. Let it dry about 10 minutes then applied the LED strips. They come with the good 3M double sided tape so it's literally just peel and stick. Go slow and apply pressure as you go. I already had the AMP wire harness ran that had the light power wire. Soldered the connections together, tucked the wires up and zip tied them and was done. Took about 30 minutes from start to finish. They look great and light up the whole step in a bright white. Pictures below.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 207

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will add, my lights only come on when the step is activated / door open. You could wire these to the foot well lights in the cab which would cause them to come on when you unlock the truck. I did a similar mod like this on my 4th gen and that's how I wired those. But, with the steps in the up position, it limits the light output so it really only makes sense to wire them only for when the step is down / door open.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
at least AMP has LED lights .. stock do not (only the front has LED in the side mirrors - nothing for the rear passengers)

(yours) lights up good though!

borden72

Reaction score
I will add, my lights only come on when the step is activated / door open. You could wire these to the foot well lights in the cab which would cause them to come on when you unlock the truck. I did a similar mod like this on my 4th gen and that's how I wired those. But, with the steps in the up position, it limits the light output so it really only makes sense to wire them only for when the step is down / door open.
I'll have to look into this option. I have stationary boards and would like to have them lit up when I unlock the truck so everyone has ample lighting.

Would it be pretty easy to wire into the interior foot well lighting on the 2019?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll have to look into this option. I have stationary boards and would like to have them lit up when I unlock the truck so everyone has ample lighting.

Would it be pretty easy to wire into the interior foot well lighting on the 2019?
Yep - there is a grommet in the passenger side floor board and driver side where the brake cable comes out where you could get your wires into the cab.

crazycrew

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread! My amps arrived this week and I've already decided to not use the supplied lights. More than like will do the same as you! How are they holding up?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Conundrum

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread! My amps arrived this week and I've already decided to not use the supplied lights. More than like will do the same as you! How are they holding up?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
The lights on mine just started acting up. They come on bright when the doors are open, but stay on very dim when the doors are closed (truck on or off). I've had mine since Fall/Winter 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread