5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better MPG with higher octane?

mmondich

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 5.7HEMI eTorque. Has anyone has run 87 octane and noticed a significant change when switching to a higher octane? I know the manual says no lower than 89 but other than MPG potentially being impacted, I don't have any issues. Would possibly spend the extra $$ if I knew it would yield higher MPG's. Thanks.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I can not believe the prices of gas in California compared to here in Massachusetts.
I filled up today and the price was 3.30 a gallon for 89 Octane. Hell, I thought I saw a price in california for 6.99 a gallon.
I'm surprised more people don't buy a bike.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
93 is almost $4.50 a gal here in pa.

88 is cheaper than 87/89 at around $3.30 a gal. Which is why I’ve been using it with no ping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
We are in the 'final days' of V-8 powered engines in common passenger cars and half-ton trucks.
Let's all remember this and enjoy the hell out of these trucks while we still have them.

It's those republican talking stating they are going to take all our gas powdered vehicle away. it isn't going to happen any time soon, so enjoy your truck and drive the hell out of it.
Things could be worse we could have a female president....

Klicht87

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 5.7HEMI eTorque. Has anyone has run 87 octane and noticed a significant change when switching to a higher octane? I know the manual says no lower than 89 but other than MPG potentially being impacted, I don't have any issues. Would possibly spend the extra $$ if I knew it would yield higher MPG's. Thanks.
I don't notice any difference with either MPGs or performance. I also do mostly city driving so my MPGs are crap anyway. In Connecticut there is a significant difference in price between 87 and 89 and I only get 89 when I have gas points from stores to drop the price.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At 3$ 3.30 a gallon its not bad really. What do you pay a gallon?
This morning was $3.29 for regular gas that the truck was designed to run on. About $.30 per gallon more for 89. So for a 25 gallon fill in my truck I would have just taken out a $5 and two $1s and burned those to pass the time while filling up. I opted not to do that and left the extra bills in my money clip instead.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
I can not believe the prices of gas in California compared to here in Massachusetts.
I filled up today and the price was 3.30 a gallon for 89 Octane. Hell, I thought I saw a price in california for 6.99 a gallon.
I'm surprised more people don't buy a bike.
87 out here in Southern California is about $4.5 on average.
Last week in Massachusetts i was paying around $3/gal.
That's almost $40 more per full tank...
We are getting shafted real hard in CA

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Biggest thing I noticed going from 87 to 89 was the MDS. I have 3.92 gears and on 87 MDS could never sustain anything above 55, on 89 Ive had it sustained at 72-75 consistently. I put Costco 93 in it now( they only have 93 or 87 ) I prefer the piece of mind that I can floor it and not worry about knock sensors having to kick in🤣 and Costco 93 is about the same as regular at the other stations near me right now, about $3.60 a gallon

brenan00

Reaction score
Biggest thing I noticed going from 87 to 89 was the MDS. I have 3.92 gears and on 87 MDS could never sustain anything above 55, on 89 Ive had it sustained at 72-75 consistently. I put Costco 93 in it now( they only have 93 or 87 ) I prefer the piece of mind that I can floor it and not worry about knock sensors having to kick in🤣 and Costco 93 is about the same as regular at the other stations near me right now, about $3.60 a gallon
I mix the two 50 50 and make 90, and in Hawaii, no corn at Costco. Laters

Last edited:

Oldphart

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread