5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Two-Way Radio / Setup

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What 2-way radios are you all using and whether it’s CB, GMRS, HAM, etc..? Would like to see people’s opinions on the different options and brands out there like it’s pros & cons. Also, where are you placing them pics, mounts, and wiring are all welcome. Was leaning myself to a GMRS setup but wanted to get the great minds of the forum together to weigh out options. So, let’s see what you got and why??

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I have 2 that I have had for decades. My favorite is a totally tricked out Cobra 148 GTL. The other is a SommerKamp 2000 multiband radio. Both go through a 200W linear. Was using a decades old Cobra antenna but that got yoinked on my other car so I haven't put either radio into the truck yet. Not sure where I would put it.

Jason605

Reaction score
What 2-way radios are you all using and whether it’s CB, GMRS, HAM, etc..? Would like to see people’s opinions on the different options and brands out there like it’s pros & cons. Also, where are you placing them pics, mounts, and wiring are all welcome. Was leaning myself to a GMRS setup but wanted to get the great minds of the forum together to weigh out options. So, let’s see what you got anda GMRS radio
I plan on installing a GMRS radio at some point. The 2 best radio's seem to be the Wouxun KG-1000G Plus and GMRS-50V2. The GMRS-50V2 looks like it would mount in the center console, so would be easier. The Wouxun KG-1000G Plus I will keep at home.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Over the years I've tried them all.
CB is archaic. Truckers no longer use and there are better systems
GMRS is nice but has very poor range, great for caravaning
Ham is great, especially if modified to get other frequencies
UHF and/or VHF are also very good but can interfere with legitimate local users, such as marine, business, and emergency channels.

Currently, my personal best is a cell phone

tac63

Reaction score
I am running a tuned President Johnny III on the side of my console, with a Midland Ditch Light Mount for the antenna base. I use this for long work trips for traffic information, yes lots of bull on 19, and not used near at much as it used to be, but I can say its saved me multiple times when Waze/Google Maps haven't shown an incident and I was able to divert.
I also run a Midland Mxt275 GMRS for person to person comms when nearby. Mostly use this when traveling in a vehicle convoy etc. I carry extra handhelds as well in the truck to hand out to others for this purpose.

GMRS is very limited range no matter what people say, and not being used by truckers much if at all for what it's worth, but does provide better comms close range IMO.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Over the years I've tried them all.
CB is archaic. Truckers no longer use and there are better systems
GMRS is nice but has very poor range, great for caravaning
Ham is great, especially if modified to get other frequencies
UHF and/or VHF are also very good but can interfere with legitimate local users, such as marine, business, and emergency channels.

Currently, my personal best is a cell phone
I was debating going HAM or UHF but just didn’t know how far they pick up and mostly for me I would want to use it to listen while driving and communicate if I HAD to. If I were caravanning I would just get a hand held with my buddies/workmates/family.

What do you mean by Cell Phone? Are you running an APP or something? What about when you don’t have service or very poor service?

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am running a tuned President Johnny III on the side of my console, with a Midland Ditch Light Mount for the antenna base. I use this for long work trips for traffic information, yes lots of bull on 19, and not used near at much as it used to be, but I can say its saved me multiple times when Waze/Google Maps haven't shown an incident and I was able to divert.
I also run a Midland Mxt275 GMRS for person to person comms when nearby. Mostly use this when traveling in a vehicle convoy etc. I carry extra handhelds as well in the truck to hand out to others for this purpose.

GMRS is very limited range no matter what people say, and not being used by truckers much if at all for what it's worth, but does provide better comms close range IMO.
Thanks for the information. Everyone was telling me GMRS is the way to go but not for the application I’m looking for personally.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I was debating going HAM or UHF but just didn’t know how far they pick up and mostly for me I would want to use it to listen while driving and communicate if I HAD to. If I were caravanning I would just get a hand held with my buddies/workmates/family.

What do you mean by Cell Phone? Are you running an APP or something? What about when you don’t have service or very poor service?
Regular cell phone. Pretty hard to find dead spots if you have a decent service provider. Dead spots are usually very temporary, especially on the interstates or major highways. We've hunted elk in some pretty remote areas and had service but alas a lot of dead spots as well.
I no longer want to mount antennas and current interiors are no longer easy for mounting radio equipment. A cell phone is an easy peasy no brainer, has unlimited range, and the no-service problem is a rare or temporary situation.

Edit:
Regarding your, "I would want to use it to listen while driving". All of the systems are pretty quiet these days. GMRS can be loaded with crap traffic when passing through populated areas. Ham you'll get a lot of licensed operators tying up the waves with chatter and they won't welcome you. UHF is good but your buddies need to have the same. Just my opinion from experience. All that said, whatever you and your fellow travelers decide to use will be good because it's what you decided on.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regular cell phone. Pretty hard to find dead spots if you have a decent service provider. Dead spots are usually very temporary, especially on the interstates or major highways. We've hunted elk in some pretty remote areas and had service but alas a lot of dead spots as well.
I no longer want to mount antennas and current interiors are no longer easy for mounting radio equipment. A cell phone is an easy peasy no brainer, has unlimited range, and the no-service problem is a rare or temporary situation.
Lol, I have att and live in the southeast I travel to AR, TN, MS, AL, and LA I go through stretches of highway where there is absolutely no service for miles. That’s my problem and why I’m looking elsewhere. But I understand what your saying and is a solution that I think most everyone uses for that type of application.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Lol, I have att and live in the southeast I travel to AR, TN, MS, AL, and LA I go through stretches of highway where there is absolutely no service for miles. That’s my problem and why I’m looking elsewhere. But I understand what your saying and is a solution that I think most everyone uses for that type of application.
Wow! I learned something. I guess we are blessed in the West to have such good Cell coverage.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Yeah it’s crazy and ATT is supposed to be the best coverage in the southeast. 🫣
I travel, hunt, and fish with my two remaining brothers. One has AT&T, one has Verizon, and I have Cox. We all experience the same coverage, so much that one would think we all have the same provider.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I travel, hunt, and fish with my two remaining brothers. One has AT&T, one has Verizon, and I have Cox. We all experience the same coverage, so much that one would think we all have the same provider.
I have a buddy who works on cell towers well is the manager of the crew and he always talks so much trash on how badly some of the states I mentioned update the towers with latest technology and coverage. He said they just don’t concentrate on areas that don’t have a certain amount of population. So, when we go to my camp or my buddies camps we never have service. We would have to travel 30-45 minutes to get reception if we needed it for some reason.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sat phone
Sat phones are ridiculously expensive alone not to mention data plans. I could understand if I was in Emergancy Response but not for this application. I did find a cool Sat Hotspot device that hooks up to your phone and up to 5 different devices. But same thing $855 plus $400 for service for a year with unlimited talk and text but it’s like having two phone plans but this one is 500% more expensive lol

John Jensen

Reaction score
Sat phones are ridiculously expensive alone not to mention data plans. I could understand if I was in Emergancy Response but not for this application. I did find a cool Sat Hotspot device that hooks up to your phone and up to 5 different devices. But same thing $855 plus $400 for service for a year with unlimited talk and text but it’s like having two phone plans but this one is 500% more expensive lol
My son has been experimenting with SkyLink to have internet & cell service when he takes groups on multi-day off-road trips in Baja and SoCal. He's just finishing a couple of small portable units, one for his side-by-side and one for his chase truck. He's been carrying one on his work truck for a few days and calling me, it's working perfectly.
In the past he has used Sat phones, but like you say, very expensive and cumbersome. He has Skylink at his home in the mountains and has used Skylink at pit stops at the Baja off-road races, So far the costs are reasonable and the service outstanding. The big plus is anyone with a cell phone can use the service.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has been experimenting with SkyLink to have internet & cell service when he takes groups on multi-day off-road trips in Baja and SoCal. He's just finishing a couple of small portable units, one for his side-by-side and one for his chase truck. He's been carrying one on his work truck for a few days and calling me, it's working perfectly.
In the past he has used Sat phones, but like you say, very expensive and cumbersome. He has Skylink at his home in the mountains and has used Skylink at pit stops at the Baja off-road races, So far the costs are reasonable and the service outstanding. The big plus is anyone with a cell phone can use the service.
Are you talking about SkyLink or StarLink? Both are interesting but seems SkyLink is fairly expensive like Sat phones but StarLink seems reasonably expensive on the front side but saves you money in the long run (but coverage map doesn’t cover my area yet says starting in 2023)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Are you talking about SkyLink or StarLink? Both are interesting but seems SkyLink is fairly expensive like Sat phones but StarLink seems reasonably expensive on the front side but saves you money in the long run (but coverage map doesn’t cover my area yet says starting in 2023)
My bad, definitely Starlink

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online