5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tonneau Cover for the Rambox

A

Avalnch

What is the best tonneau cover for the Rambox beds?
Keeping things dry is more important than keeping stuff safe. Please post your experiences and pictures.
Thanx!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Truxedo Sentry. Keeps things dry and safe (locks, no key required).

Attachments

• C98ECD8D-9C2B-4B07-80EC-0A399FD601FB.jpeg
    C98ECD8D-9C2B-4B07-80EC-0A399FD601FB.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 62CA228A-A78E-4770-9ED8-17FEF23CBA1A.jpeg
    62CA228A-A78E-4770-9ED8-17FEF23CBA1A.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 403
A

Avalnch

Thanx Patsy1099! I like the idea of a roll up cover and they have a promo going on right now.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I have to say I am very happy with this cover. Very high quality IMO. Install is easy. Rolls up quickly and is secured at the back, without blocking window. When rolled you have your entire bed free. When flat it is strong and can hold hundreds of pounds on top (not that you should). The only issue, which isn’t their fault, is the gap at the tailgate and that is because of the new Ram design. Truxedo provides weatherstripping so you can seal up the gap on each side of the tailgate. Works perfectly.

I also like how the cover snaps down into a locked position and can only be released by first opening the tailgate and then reaching underneath and pulling a release cord. So if your tailgate is locked (truck is locked), essentially your cover is locked. But you also don’t need to carry around a separate key to lock/unlock the cover (which is a pain), just unlock and open your tailgate, pull the release cord, roll back the cover.

A

Avalnch

I have to say I am very happy with this cover. Very high quality IMO. Install is easy. Rolls up quickly and is secured at the back, without blocking window. When rolled you have your entire bed free. When flat it is strong and can hold hundreds of pounds on top (not that you should). The only issue, which isn’t their fault, is the gap at the tailgate and that is because of the new Ram design. Truxedo provides weatherstripping so you can seal up the gap on each side of the tailgate. Works perfectly.

I also like how the cover snaps down into a locked position and can only be released by first opening the tailgate and then reaching underneath and pulling a release cord. So if your tailgate is locked (truck is locked), essentially your cover is locked. But you also don’t need to carry around a separate key to lock/unlock the cover (which is a pain), just unlock and open your tailgate, pull the release cord, roll back the cover.
What made you decide on the vinyl version versus the fabric version? Wondering which will last longer as I tend to keep my truck for many years.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
What made you decide on the vinyl version versus the fabric version? Wondering which will last longer as I tend to keep my truck for many years.

I actually wanted the fabric version but they sent me the vinyl one by mistake lol. I thought the vinyl version would be very cheap looking and breakdown faster over time. I can’t comment on how long it will last yet but it seems very high quality. I might be rationalizing now that I have it but I am happy with it because I think it probably looks better than the fabric “matte” black would have on my truck. I’m sure both look great. The other thing I wonder about is cleaning. The vinyl washing super easy and the fabric version reminds me of a convertible top and they often catch all the lint from microfiber towels etc. Not sure if that is an issue or not. Look up Sentry CT here and ping the members and ask them if there are any issues like that or other questions you have about it.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Patsy! Please help me out with the Truxedo Tailgate seal part. I can’t figure out how I would get this design flaw to work with that.

Also how do you like that Keeper Cargo Bar with net? Where can I find one?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Patsy! Please help me out with the Truxedo Tailgate seal part. I can’t figure out how I would get this design flaw to work with that.

Also how do you like that Keeper Cargo Bar with net? Where can I find one?

@Rampat do you have the Truxedo or a different cover? I thought I remember you having another one. Sorry I’ve been swamped the past few days and playing catch-up. Truxedo sells a bed seal kit, which is basically just weatherstripping, that you can use to seal up (try to anyway), any Tonneau cover. The Truxedo seal that comes with their Sentry cover is just to seal the gaps on each side of the tailgate. Show me what’s going on and I’ll try to help.

Regarding the cargo keeper w net I like it a lot. I usually leave it set a couple feet in from the tailgate. This leaves me a small section to either put groceries and small boxes, etc with your having them bounce around. The net also has allows for storage, especially of loose stuff and comes in very handy. Of course it’s super easy to release and move the cargo keeper if you want to increase the divided area. I will put the link below.

Separately, I really like have the rubber bed utility mat because it keeps things from sliding around. This one especially. It’s almost tacky. Nothing slides! Lastly, I bought the ram divider/extender (for Rambo’s) slightly used on eBay for a good price. This allows for further dividing of the bed...so now I essentially have my bed divided into three but that config can be changed easily, plus I can use it as an extender. Throw in the bed step and now I find my bed super functional with easy access.

Here the mat I bought. It’s longer than the short bed but it’s easy to cut with a utility blade and then you have a large piece left over for a work mat or whatever.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the seal/weatherstrip that Truxedo ships with their Sentry cover. One piece goes on each side of the tailgate so it fills the gap. The cover meets the tailgate, so everything seals nicely.

Attachments

• 3046D9B0-4D57-4030-BAC0-6B25F5B516F0.jpeg
    3046D9B0-4D57-4030-BAC0-6B25F5B516F0.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 236
  • B4E48A65-C268-43D2-BB06-7097501555F1.jpeg
    B4E48A65-C268-43D2-BB06-7097501555F1.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 240

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Rampat do you have the Truxedo or a different cover? I thought I remember you having another one. Sorry I’ve been swamped the past few days and playing catch-up. Truxedo sells a bed seal kit, which is basically just weatherstripping, that you can use to seal up (try to anyway), any Tonneau cover. The Truxedo seal that comes with their Sentry cover is just to seal the gaps on each side of the tailgate. Show me what’s going on and I’ll try to help.

Regarding the cargo keeper w net I like it a lot. I usually leave it set a couple feet in from the tailgate. This leaves me a small section to either put groceries and small boxes, etc with your having them bounce around. The net also has allows for storage, especially of loose stuff and comes in very handy. Of course it’s super easy to release and move the cargo keeper if you want to increase the divided area. I will put the link below.

Separately, I really like have the rubber bed utility mat because it keeps things from sliding around. This one especially. It’s almost tacky. Nothing slides! Lastly, I bought the ram divider/extender (for Rambo’s) slightly used on eBay for a good price. This allows for further dividing of the bed...so now I essentially have my bed divided into three but that config can be changed easily, plus I can use it as an extender. Throw in the bed step and now I find my bed super functional with easy access.

Here the mat I bought. It’s longer than the short bed but it’s easy to cut with a utility blade and then you have a large piece left over for a work mat or whatever.

I have the Lomax....for now. I think it is going back. Looks great but below is my experience. I don’t have the Rambox so where your rubber is doesn’t apply to me. These tailgate designs really aren’t good. I can’t figure out a way to seal it and am shocked that nobody else has this big of a problem.

Pictures show sunlight at both rear corners from inside. A circled picture of the tailgate gap I pulled from someone with an MX4 (any low profile rail styled tonneau will have this since they all sit inside instead of on top of the bed). And the rest are water leaks after a 20 minute rain storm came through. I live in Florida so this happens every day from now till September.

Attachments

• C79380CD-BD80-4EC6-9084-C4E820822093.jpeg
    C79380CD-BD80-4EC6-9084-C4E820822093.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 61DE8D96-AA87-4D72-AFBB-47E9796944BC.jpeg
    61DE8D96-AA87-4D72-AFBB-47E9796944BC.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 131
  • 1B9C1230-0F27-417D-8676-AC9492A0A81E.jpeg
    1B9C1230-0F27-417D-8676-AC9492A0A81E.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 139
  • A041CC08-105E-4868-984F-F8A3978F0464.jpeg
    A041CC08-105E-4868-984F-F8A3978F0464.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 00188F90-7103-48C8-95F0-373ACBEF2F4E.jpeg
    00188F90-7103-48C8-95F0-373ACBEF2F4E.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 136
  • 771079ED-DD7D-4705-9D4B-0360DDE03FEE.jpeg
    771079ED-DD7D-4705-9D4B-0360DDE03FEE.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 05D35E26-C7F0-4ED3-94A2-33FAE890F9E5.jpeg
    05D35E26-C7F0-4ED3-94A2-33FAE890F9E5.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 127

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Oh that’s right I remember now. You are having the problems with the lomax, bent rail, etc. I have read that others are not having issues with lomax. Have you tried calling them and having them replacing that bent rail? They should replace that under warranty. If a rail is bent that flex alone might cause misalignment. While you are replacing that bent rail you will have the opportunity to reinstall and make sure everything is aligned properly. I’m sure you don’t want to rip everything off and start over again but with that much of a leak and a bent rail, I don’t see any other choice. Otherwise you will probably wind up replacing it with another manufacturer anyway. If/when you reinstall, check out some vids and maybe speak to their support to make sure you’re not missing something. Keep us posted what you decide. Good luck b

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
S
I actually wanted the fabric version but they sent me the vinyl one by mistake lol. I thought the vinyl version would be very cheap looking and breakdown faster over time. I can’t comment on how long it will last yet but it seems very high quality. I might be rationalizing now that I have it but I am happy with it because I think it probably looks better than the fabric “matte” black would have on my truck. I’m sure both look great. The other thing I wonder about is cleaning. The vinyl washing super easy and the fabric version reminds me of a convertible top and they often catch all the lint from microfiber towels etc. Not sure if that is an issue or not. Look up Sentry CT here and ping the members and ask them if there are any issues like that or other questions you have about it.

Based on your comments, I presume you did not see either prior to ordering? Why did you originally want the CT? I am trying to find out what is the underlining differences between them. I can not find up close pictures of the different cover materials and I have not found a local dealer that carries both. And their website seems to use different marketing terms for the rest of the parts, like the slats.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
S

Based on your comments, I presume you did not see either prior to ordering? Why did you originally want the CT? I am trying to find out what is the underlining differences between them. I can not find up close pictures of the different cover materials and I have not found a local dealer that carries both. And their website seems to use different marketing terms for the rest of the parts, like the slats.

I did not see either one in person before purchasing. The CT is black fabric and has a matte black appearance. The non CT is vinyl (leather appearance) and a bit more glossy. I thought I would prefer the CT because I thought the vinyl would look cheap, wear faster and I normally prefer a matte look vs glossy. I am really happy however I got the vinyl. It’s not that glossy and I really like the look and how easy it is to clean. Functionally they are the same, just different finishes.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a ram box compatible hard tonneau that fits on the top of the BUG rails? I have a minimum height I need in the bed for some gear; I have about 1” of clearance in the center with the ram soft tonneau, so as much as I’d like to go BakFlip mx4 or Sentry I’m not sure either will work. I also like the curved top to shed water and snow. I’m thinking of switching to a hard tonneau for security more than anything else.

Gitter

Reaction score
I did not see either one in person before purchasing. The CT is black fabric and has a matte black appearance. The non CT is vinyl (leather appearance) and a bit more glossy. I thought I would prefer the CT because I thought the vinyl would look cheap, wear faster and I normally prefer a matte look vs glossy. I am really happy however I got the vinyl. It’s not that glossy and I really like the look and how easy it is to clean. Functionally they are the same, just different finishes.

Patsy - I have a BakFlip Revolver X2, which is a nearly identical tonneau that you have. I love how it's secure but doesn't require a key to lock or unlock it. Best of all, I never had to take it off or block my rear window when I was hauling stuff like appliances in the bed!

I've had it for over 2 years (on another truck) and the vinyl top still looks new! Best advise someone gave me was to spray it with 303 cleaner (or something similar) after each wash. It helps protect against UV rays.

Cheers

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Patsy - I have a BakFlip Revolver X2, which is a nearly identical tonneau that you have. I love how it's secure but doesn't require a key to lock or unlock it. Best of all, I never had to take it off or block my rear window when I was hauling stuff like appliances in the bed!

I've had it for over 2 years (on another truck) and the vinyl top still looks new! Best advise someone gave me was to spray it with 303 cleaner (or something similar) after each wash. It helps protect against UV rays.

Cheers
Yes thank you that’s exactly what I use and love it!

Heatmiser41

Reaction score
Do you happen to know what the part number is? I've seen a few different part numbers and i'd like to know which one is right.

Patsy1099

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread