5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Muffler only swap?

reeko0530

Reaction score
2022 big horn 5.7L. Looking for the best muffler swap without removing anything else. Want it to be twice as loud and deep without the rasp. Was thinking either Borla S type or Flowmaster 44. Thoughts or advice on what you did?

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
2022 big horn 5.7L. Looking for the best muffler swap without removing anything else. Want it to be twice as loud and deep without the rasp. Was thinking either Borla S type or Flowmaster 44. Thoughts or advice on what you did?
If you want loud get the Atak and not S type.

reeko0530

Reaction score
If you want loud get the Atak and not S type.
Isn't that a cat back system, I only want a muffler. In the borla site I could not locate a borla Atak muffler. It's a lease, so I need to mod to a point where it will be easy swapping back.

Update, just found it under crate mufflers. No way I'm spending 400 on a muffler. That's spend for a muffler, I was trying to stay under 200.

Last edited:

reeko0530

Reaction score

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Flowmaster Outlaw, 60s era muscle car sound, similar to a full ATAK Borla system, just not quite a refined. About $270 muffler and labor installed at my local muffler shop.

As with all muffler only systems. you will get a bit of drone when in MDS 4-cylinder mode. Most turn off MDS (for many reasons) to prevent this, while I personally got used to it. Otherwise, no drone when cruising or on the highway at steady throttle in full V8 mode.

reeko0530

Reaction score
Flowmaster Outlaw, 60s era muscle car sound, similar to a full ATAK Borla system, just not quite a refined. About $270 muffler and labor installed at my local muffler shop.

As with all muffler only systems. you will get a bit of drone when in MDS 4-cylinder mode. Most turn off MDS (for many reasons) to prevent this, while I personally got used to it. Otherwise, no drone when cruising or on the highway at steady throttle in full V8 mode.
Do you have a sound clip by chance? Is it super loud? I have a 1972 Pontiac Lemans with Spintech 9000 mufflers that are super loud which is fine, but this is my everyday car so it can't be blaring loud. A nice deep growl, no rasp is what I'm after. So far the one clip I seen sounds raspy/poppy with the outlaw and all resonators on.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Do you have a sound clip by chance? Is it super loud? I have a 1972 Pontiac Lemans with Spintech 9000 mufflers that are super loud which is fine, but this is my everyday car so it can't be blaring loud. A nice deep growl, no rasp is what I'm after. So far the one clip I seen sounds raspy/poppy with the outlaw and all resonators on.

It is certainly loud on cold start, or should I say Awesome! I've checked it on a DB meter, it's 89db at the loudest under cold start, which honestly isn't too bad. However, it settles down and sounds fine in everyday driving, but that's subjective and everyone is different, but I wouldn't call it raspy or poppy, more old school muscle.

Here is a boring Youtube video of me running it on a local truck trail, it's almost all low speed, so you won't get to hear it at constant cruising throttle, like say the highway, but at least you will get an idea. Just note almost all the exhaust you will hear is under some sort of load, as I'm going up hill the whole time....

Last edited:

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive got the Flowmaster FX, got it from another member on here used. I find it makes the truck sound like it should from the factory, a little deeper tone than stock idling and nice sound under acceleration, but no drone on the highway which is great

HemiDude

Reaction score
I had the MBRP Hi-Flow muffler on my last Ram, it sounded great. I kept my stock muffler around just in case I ever wanted to return to stock, when I traded that Ram in the dealer liked the way the MBRP sounded so I just left it

RHeller1

Reaction score
just installed a Solo Performance QR300. Pretty happy with the results.

Evanm129

Reaction score
I have Flowmaster flow fix 3” in 3” out the cylinder style, was told outlaw is super loud and with NJ winter and salt it “May” not hold up as well as stainless. Flowmaster fox was like $49 and I pains $100 for cut and install sounds awesome but mellows out in can so I can hear wife and kids…. Maybe I should have went super loud outlaw 😆🤪

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you can check mufflex they have muffler kit for ram

starts at 190$ to 340$ about depending the sound level you choose

Nels

Reaction score
I installed the Flowmaster FX about a month ago. I believe it has the sound profile you're looking for, but price is approaching $400 everywhere I looked. Like you I didn't want the raspy sound. Look on YouTube for sound samples. There are A LOT of options, but under $200 will be tough.

Eticket1337

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did a flowmaster 40, left the resonators in place…. 230 out the door. Sounds good, no drone…. Even in eco mode.

njfreekshow

Reaction score
i recently swapped my Flowmaster FX for a catback Flowmaster American Thunder. i had the FX on for about 5 months (5000 miles on it) and it had a bit of "growl" but wasnt too much louder the stock. i think itll meet a bit of what youre looking for but might also find its lacking, if you can find just the American Thunder i think thatll fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread