5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Electric Tools

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Eighty gave me the idea from one of his posts to start a discussion (debate?) on the best electric tools. I started with Snap-on electric tools in the early 2000s, and switched to Dewalt around 2014. Dewalt used to be fantastic. They had a service center 30mins away from me that had a trade-in program where I could trade in any brand electric tool working or not, and I would get money off of DeWalt tools. I got a 1/2” 20v impact gun and battery for $50 after trading in 4 ryobi junk tools and a 2008 dewalt 18v drill. I still feel Dewalt is the best, but only for the ease of getting tools and batteries from big-box stores. I have a couple Milwalkee impacts that still work well, but I don’t like that they’re m12 batteries.

What does everyone like and why? I’d also love to hear from people who use Harbor Freight’s new battery powered stuff.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda depends on what tools you use, and how heavily you use them. I'm in the construction business, and I buy about $30k worth of tools each year for my crews. Dewalt, hands down, is our preferred brand. Mostly worm-drive saws, hammer drills, impact drivers, etc. The batteries are great (20V/60V) and the tools don't break as often as most other brands.
Hilti would be a close second, but I don't care for their push towards the subscription-based programs.

Personally, I've converted 90% to Dewalt tools at the house (for battery-operated items). That's the thing about the cordless world - you have to pick an ecosystem and stick with it. Otherwise you have too many different batteries and chargers.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a slew of Ryobi 18v tools including impact, saws, yard tools, etc. As @Eighty stated, I was compelled to choose and build upon a single brand so I could eliminate the need for batteries and chargers. The Ryobis have been fine, dependable, and meet many of the normal repair needs around the home.

I still have an air compressor and tools that I use for heavy duty jobs, mainly because I can and they are already paid for. If the compressor ever gives up the ghost I will likely replace it (and the air tools) with something equivalent yet rechargeable.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've used Milwaukee (M18 FUEL) tools for years. They've generally had plenty of power and been reliable. I've worked them very hard at times. Warranty service has been a mixed bag—responsive but not always effective.

I have some corded DeWalt tools at our home, but I decided to try out a 6-tool 20V kit at the lake (based in part on a neighbor's recommendation). I noticed immediately that some things are better thought out on the DeWalt tools than Milwaukee, e.g. better chuck design and lighting arrangement on the drill. There's not a noticeable power advantage. I've recently added a 20V hedge trimmer, and I'm considering a 20V pole saw. I've looked at DeWalt's 60V chainsaw as well, but I may save the money for now and just borrow one of my neighbor's Stihl chainsaws when needed (they're hard to beat).

At home, I have a Toro Personal Pace mower, Echo trimmer, and Echo blower. Those 2-stroke Echo tools may be loud and 'dirty', but they've got a ton of power (much like the Stihl tools). At the lake, I inherited an old John Deere 335 (20 hp) tractor and an old Murray/B&S bicycle wheel mower, so I'm doing my best to keep them in shape (I don't want to replace them right now). I considered purchasing a battery-operated trimmer and blower, but that property is just too big (I can be out there for 2-3 hours with the trimmer alone). I ended up buying a second set of the Echo tools and have been very happy with them.

Agreed with @Eighty that you end up picking a brand and largely sticking to it, especially given the prices on batteries. But it's a little uncomfortable to feel 'locked in' to a single vendor.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I started with the Makita 7.2V, upgraded to their 9V system when itwas released and switched to Hitachi when 12V first came out. Buddies all tried Dewalt and their grumbling kept me from going that way. My electrical distributor handled Milwaukee when they first hit the shelves in our area and I bought the first 9V and 12V drill kits. I used that 12V daily wiring houses and only ever retired it after I couldn't get batteries for it anymore. The 18V 1/2" hammer drill I replaced it with was over 12 years old when I retired it for the same reason.

so, I've been 99% Milwaukee since the early 90's. I do have a few tools from other brands that have better designs but in general, I have found the durabilty of Milwaukee tools to suit me best.
As mentioned above, once you chose a platform, you tend to stick with it.

I have gone overboard since the introduction of the M18 and "tool only" option. Once you have a handful of both M12 and M18 batteries, the additional tools stack up pretty quick.
I watch all the daily deals and get most tools for 60% under MSRP. I'll buy reconditioned quite a bit too.

I'm in the middle of moving and building a new shop so part of my collection is hanging out on my bench right now.

22aa7cb62cb24cc9b677fe3675f5f9ce.jpg
So

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have many Ridgid cordless 18 volts tools and many 120volt tools. Most tools are guaranteed for life once registered, I have 55 registered items in total. I’ve had nic/cad and lithium batteries replaced at no cost, and the replacement batteries are also guaranteed for life after registration. The registration was a real pain in the past, you had to send the cutout piece of the barcode from the cardboard box and the original receipt but it is now very simple, it’s all done online without sending anything by mail. I have a Ridgid granite top table saw that is discontinued so many parts aren’t available for warranty, the on/off switch failed and they said I would have to take my 450 lbs saw to a service center for repair. I bought an identical switch at Busy Bee tools for $10 or so and replaced it myself.
I use these tools all the time and have been very satisfied with their performance. Home Depot is where I buy them, watch for sales.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DeWalt is owned and made by Black and Decker. Take it for what it's worth.

I work construction as well. 90% of the tools you see in a job site around here are Milwaukee. Then you have about 9% DeWalt, and the rest a mixed bag of Hilti, Master Force(cheap for apprentices), and Rigid is starting to gain some traction as well.

Seems carpenters tend to prefer DeWalt, while all the other trades mostly use Milwaukee.

I have mostly Milwaukee tools. Mainly started buying them because my work van came with a Milwaukee hammer drill with charger and two batteries. And my black and decker cordless drills I had before weren't cutting it. Especially when I needed the larger chuck size. Now have M18 impact, drill, and fan, as well as M12 bandsaw, multi-tool, hack-saw, and jobsite radio I carry on my work van in addition to the company owned hammer drill. At home I have a M18 1/2" drive Milwaukee impact I use for working on my vehicles as well as a trimmer. All my tools are the fuel brushless motor line. Also have two Black and Decker 20v drills and a circular saw. Plus a corded Black and Decker circular saw since the 20v one is really only good for light work.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DeWalt is owned and made by Black and Decker. Take it for what it's worth.

I work construction as well. 90% of the tools you see in a job site around here are Milwaukee. Then you have about 9% DeWalt, and the rest a mixed bag of Hilti, Master Force(cheap for apprentices), and Rigid is starting to gain some traction as well.

Seems carpenters tend to prefer DeWalt, while all the other trades mostly use Milwaukee.

I have mostly Milwaukee tools. Mainly started buying them because my work van came with a Milwaukee hammer drill with charger and two batteries. And my black and decker cordless drills I had before weren't cutting it. Especially when I needed the larger chuck size. Now have M18 impact, drill, and fan, as well as M12 bandsaw, multi-tool, hack-saw, and jobsite radio I carry on my work van in addition to the company owned hammer drill. At home I have a M18 1/2" drive Milwaukee impact I use for working on my vehicles as well as a trimmer. All my tools are the fuel brushless motor line. Also have two Black and Decker 20v drills and a circular saw. Plus a corded Black and Decker circular saw since the 20v one is really only good for light work.
Stanley Black and Decker, headquartered in CT, is the world's largest tool company. SBD also makes the resurgent Craftsman tool lineup. Between DeWalt, Craftsman, and Black and Decker brands, they represent 14% of the power tool market.

For what it's worth, Techtronic (aka TTI, a Chinese-owned conglomerate) bought Milwaukee in 2005. They also own Ryobi, Homelite, Dirt Devil, Hoover, Oreck, and other brands you might know. In the '80s, before Craftsman went dormant—and long before Stanley Black and Decker reintroduced the brand—TTI made the first Craftsman cordless tools for Sears.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stanley Black and Decker, headquartered in CT, is the world's largest tool company. SBD also makes the resurgent Craftsman tool lineup. Between DeWalt, Craftsman, and Black and Decker brands, they represent 14% of the power tool market.

For what it's worth, Techtronic (aka TTI, a Chinese-owned conglomerate) bought Milwaukee in 2005. They also own Ryobi, Homelite, Dirt Devil, Hoover, Oreck, and other brands you might know. In the '80s, before Craftsman went dormant—and long before Stanley Black and Decker reintroduced the brand—TTI made the first Craftsman cordless tools for Sears.
Yep, and the first cordless Craftsman tools were good tool for their time. I had a set of them until the batteries all **** and it cost more to buy new batteries than to just buy new tools. Mainly because the old battery tech was obsolete by that time.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have a few tools from Makita. They were early in the cordless game and I stuck with them now that I use them on a homeowner level.

For Dewalt being owned by B&D, well sonny, back in the 'ol days when I was bendin' nails for a livin', the Black & Decker Sawcat was the saw to have. Plenty of power and the best brake on any saw I have used. Of course the battery pack was a cord you plugged into an outlet. 😁

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few tools from Makita. They were early in the cordless game and I stuck with them now that I use them on a homeowner level.

For Dewalt being owned by B&D, well sonny, back in the 'ol days when I was bendin' nails for a livin', the Black & Decker Sawcat was the saw to have. Plenty of power and the best brake on any saw I have used. Of course the battery pack was a cord you plugged into an outlet. 😁
My previous job, the company bought all cordless Makita brushless drills and impacts. Every single drill had the clutch break on it, and Makita would not warranty. They then went and purchased new brush motor Makita drills to replace the brushless ones, and the motors burnt up on them within the first month. Granted, we used them pretty hard, but my little Black and Decker cordless drill that is homeowner grade didn't have any issues doing almost all the same things.

Jako

Reaction score

Still have my saw cat (40 years?, $125 back then) and the brake is better than my new Makita.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Milwaukee here both m12 and m18. I usually pay a little more and go for the fuel lineup but certain things I’m okay with just the regular Milwaukee. Hard to beat their lineup of cordless tools Dewalt makes good stuff too. Makita makes good stuff but lack the selection. Ryobi.. ehh okay for using around the house especially for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yep, the old B&D stuff was pretty tough. I don't know about the newer and don't have much experience with Dewalt. I don't use tools enough any more to push thier limits.

Users who are viewing this thread