5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best e-rated ATs for folks living on gravel

jcjohn

Reaction score
All, I'm looking for recommendations from the gallery on the best e-rated (10 ply) AT tires for folks living on gravel. I've narrowed my search down to the old classic BFG AT KO2 and General Grabber A/TX. However, I'd love to hear some first person recommendations on other models that guys have had good luck. My priorities include winter/off road traction in wet/dry and most importantly tread life. I'm not interested in tires that simply "look good". Thank you in advance!

Jason605

Reaction score
I put the Grabber A/TX on my old 14 Ram and they did a good job of not throwing rocks up at the truck on my long gravel driveway. When it comes time to change the stock tires on my 21 I will go with the Grabber A/TX.

1D32319

Reaction score
I'm renting on a dirt/gravel road. By the time I get my house built and move out of the rental, my Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus tires will force the owners to add more gravel to the road.

I love the tires so far, but haven't been through a winter yet. I especially like that they are more utilitarian than some of the fashion statement brands.

Luckily most of the rocks hit under the truck versus the body.

LT 275/60/20 LRE

IMG_0544.jpg IMG_0545.jpg

photog0611

Reaction score
I have abt 2 miles of gravel road between my house and the pavement so I get a lot of miles on gravel. I live in Colo high country at abt 9000' and we typically get 200+ inches of snowfall every winter.

IMHO you need to consider AT tires that have a severe winter rating. Some of the non-winter rated AT tires perform quite poorly in snow and rain.

For snow tires, narrower is better.

Any tire wide enough to extend outside the wheel well will tend to throw gravel up onto your paint. Fixed running boards can help reduce gravel damaging your paint (unfortunately I have the deployable running boards so no help there)

I run 275/55R20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my 2021 Limited. This is my 2nd set of Duratracs and I'm happy with them. Also many folks on these boards are happy with the BFG KO2's.

Just another opinion....
ae90956e25ed19eb2b566ba10be32e73.jpg
524e82591d4f188de1c6acc5b4aa0389.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jcjohn

Reaction score
I have abt 2 miles of gravel road between my house and the pavement so I get a lot of miles on gravel. I live in Colo high country at abt 9000' and we typically get 200+ inches of snowfall every winter.

IMHO you need to consider AT tires that have a severe winter rating. Some of the non-winter rated AT tires perform quite poorly in snow and rain.

For snow tires, narrower is better.

Any tire wide enough to extend outside the wheel well will tend to throw gravel up onto your paint. Fixed running boards can help reduce gravel damaging your paint (unfortunately I have the deployable running boards so no help there)

I run 275/55R20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my 2021 Limited. This is my 2nd set of Duratracs and I'm happy with them. Also many folks on these boards are happy with the BFG KO2's.

Just another opinion....
ae90956e25ed19eb2b566ba10be32e73.jpg
524e82591d4f188de1c6acc5b4aa0389.jpg

What kind of mileage are you getting out of those Goodyears? 50kish?

jcjohn

Reaction score
I'm renting on a dirt/gravel road. By the time I get my house built and move out of the rental, my Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus tires will force the owners to add more gravel to the road.

I love the tires so far, but haven't been through a winter yet. I especially like that they are more utilitarian than some of the fashion statement brands.

Luckily most of the rocks hit under the truck versus the body.

LT 275/60/20 LRE

View attachment 107219 View attachment 107220
Never heard of that brand, but I will check them out

jcjohn

Reaction score
I put the Grabber A/TX on my old 14 Ram and they did a good job of not throwing rocks up at the truck on my long gravel driveway. When it comes time to change the stock tires on my 21 I will go with the Grabber A/TX.
Glad to hear first person review of these. They are extremely highly rated/recommended on tirerack even more so than the BFGs and slightly cheaper.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies so far. I also want to add that I bought a set of 18s for my fall/winter wheels that will be used for the new tires.

photog0611

Reaction score
What kind of mileage are you getting out of those Goodyears? 50kish?
Yes exactly. Had 45k on the tires when I traded in truck and they had another 5-8k of tread left

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have K02’s on my truck right now, they are the worst for throwing rocks of any A/T tire I’ve had so far. Falken Wild Peaks A/T3W, Goodyear Warngler Ultraterrains, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Pathfinder A/T’s, Pirelli Scorpian A/T’s, Firestone Destination At’s etc. I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting but none of these threw rocks like the K02’s

Users who are viewing this thread